HHV disappointment: 4 flavors reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
Highlander, I have been thinking about this thread all day and I have a question. What EXACTLY is a tobacco flavor to you? You said earlier in this thread that it doesn't necessarily mean a cigarette or pipe taste. I'm just trying to understand.

It is what it is. A tobacco flavor to me is a flavor that tastes like tobacco, or in the case of the e-liquid world, has a "tobacco-ish" flavor. In other words, I havent found any flavors that taste 100% exactly like the tobacco I could find at a tobacco store, but thats just fine. I actually really like a few of the tobacco flavors I've found, although they dont taste 100% like any tobacco I've tried(real tobacco). But they do taste 80-90% like it, and thats good enough! I was kinda asked this question earlier and the examples I gave were Halo Torque 56, Freedom Juice, Totally Wicked's tobacco e-liquid, and Plume Room's Newport tastes a good deal like tobacco. There are other DIY flavors from TW that also had a tobacco flavor, but the added flavors were kinda nasty!(see: black currant tobacco, and gold label menthol tobacco)

But when I taste a juice that tastes like a desert, with top notes of sweet flavor, but has little to no actual tobacco "undertone" to it, then thats what I mean when I say it doesnt taste like tobacco. I have tasted pipe tobacco that had sweet flavors added to it, BUT... I could still taste tobacco as the main, base flavor. To me, as of now, neither Gandalf nor heavenly Tobacco have that base flavor of tobacco. Just the top notes of sweetness. But again, I AM NOT saying these flavors are bad, nor am I insulting the people at HHV, because as far as I know, every other flavor they make could be fantastic.

I think I'll just skip doing reviews any more, people tend to take this personally. I gave a good review to Plume Room at the positive reviews area(look up my recent threads)

Craftypepper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Haven't tried any of those juices, but it may be worth noting that there is a good chance your taste buds aren't totally working yet and steeping may work as well. Perhaps give them another shot in a week or two? I started out 8 months ago vaping only tobaccos, now I'm strictly fruit/bakery. Things change a lot as your senses return!

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
It is what it is. A tobacco flavor to me is a flavor that tastes like tobacco, or in the case of the e-liquid world, has a "tobacco-ish" flavor. In other words, I havent found any flavors that taste 100% exactly like the tobacco I could find at a tobacco store, but thats just fine.

Try the House Brewed line at Goodejuice if you want it to taste like tobacco. Seriously.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
:shock: EIGHTY RY4's????!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! Where do you live? I need to shin up your drainpipe and "borrow" that collection ROFL. :drool:

Yes, I too marvel at people who vape one juice all day. Not that I'm critical of them---I understand the mythic quest for the proverbial perfect all-day-vape. It's just not how my temperament and taste buds/brain work. I'm a juice bumblebee (which is a nicer term than saying "juice-ho"), flitting from one flower to another all day long.

I keep about 130 cartos/tanks/clearos loaded on my desk, all labeled, with most standing upright in cartridge cases (this includes 80 different RY4s, so I can compare quickly when reviewing a new RY4 for the Really Big RY4 Roundup thread). Sure, that's more than a little on the obsessive side, but it keeps me a happy vaper.

View attachment 134523

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
:shock: EIGHTY RY4's????!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! Where do you live? I need to shin up your drainpipe and "borrow" that collection ROFL. :drool:

Yeah, when I started The Really Big RY4 Roundup thread in June 2011 and began reviewing RY4s, I had no idea what I was getting into. Honestly, I thought the first post that had capsule reviews of 26 RY4s would quickly vanish into the archive pages of the reviews forum. But it's now 15 months later, and the thread is 265 pages long and still going strong. Go figure.

Actually, the number of RY4s I've reviewed on that thread is now up to 100 (with other posters adding their own RY4 reviews), but I keep only 80 of them on my desk. For one reason or another, the other 20 didn't make it into cartos. LOL.

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
Bill, IMO there are several reasons that thread (The Really Big RY4 RU)is still going strong-- among those are you did an excellent job and continued doing so, you peeked interest in RY4 & (this is as important IMO) you got folks to realize the many variations of RY4 - so even if you didn't like "X" version there were many, many others out there that may just do it for you. This is one of my favorite threads of all time on any forum. The detail (s) are amazing, comprehensive yet useful information (my own participation withstanding LOL)

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
My apologies for inadvertently hijacking the thread. Let me make amends by adding some of my own thoughts about HHV.

First off, having had some written correspondence and done some beta-testing for Heather and Steve, I really like them both as people. They are prime examples of the fact that we are blessed in the vaping community to have some really wonderful people working as vendors. Also, I feel that Heather is an amazing juice artisan. As a fair-to-middlin' DIY amateur, I marvel at the depth and subtlety of her talents and skills (as I do numerous other alchemist juice magician vendors).

That said, i don't know exactly where I stand personally with HHV juices. I've had eight or so, mostly the tobacco blends, and my reactions swing from one side of the coin to the other---one day I think HHV juices are great; the next day, I'm not so sure I like them all that much. Occasionally, this indecision and waffling in my reactions are aggravating to me. I want to love HHV juices (in part because I like Heather and Steve, but also because what they offer are obviously well-crafted, custom eliquids that are a cut above the ordinary---clearly not standard, cookie-cutter fare).

I'm still on the fence, though, so I can sympathize with the OP's disappointment, even though I don't always share that opinion.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My apologies for inadvertently hijacking the thread. Let me make amends by adding some of my own thoughts about HHV.

First off, having had some written correspondence and done some beta-testing for Heather and Steve, I really like them both as people. They are prime examples of the fact that we are blessed in the vaping community to have some really wonderful people working as vendors. Also, I feel that Heather is an amazing juice artisan. As a fair-to-middlin' DIY amateur, I marvel at the depth and subtlety of her talents and skills (as I do numerous other alchemist juice magician vendors).

That said, i don't know exactly where I stand personally with HHV juices. I've had eight or so, mostly the tobacco blends, and my reactions swing from one side of the coin to the other---one day I think HHV juices are great; the next day, I'm not so sure I like them all that much. Occasionally, this indecision and waffling in my reactions are aggravating to me. I want to love HHV juices (in part because I like Heather and Steve, but also because what they offer are obviously well-crafted, custom eliquids that are a cut above the ordinary---clearly not standard, cookie-cutter fare).

I'm still on the fence, though, so I can sympathize with the OP's disappointment, even though I don't always share that opinion.

No one can ever gripe about someone else not liking a smoke juice (or set of smoke juices). My only gripe (if you even want to call it that) with the OP is it seems he's going too fast. He's sampled a whole lot of juices in the past few weeks and I just don't see him stopping long enough for any one juice to see if he can acquire the taste.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
No one can ever gripe about someone else not liking a smoke juice (or set of smoke juices). My only gripe (if you even want to call it that) with the OP is it seems he's going too fast. He's sampled a whole lot of juices in the past few weeks and I just don't see him stopping long enough for any one juice to see if he can acquire the taste.

bronze,

I'm with you all the way on that. It's just difficult to communicate that knowledge in a way that the OP can easily take to heart. I fear that it might be one of those "Ah-Ha" realizations that must be acquired by direct experience rather than vicarious sharing. Not that you shouldn't offer it, of course. After all, that's what we do here on ECF, share our experiences and what we've learned and are learning.

I often have to remind myself to slow down and not push the river. So your point is certainly relevant to me, with regard to juices specifically and just about everything else in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread