Help with jpg file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

48lowes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
illinoize
I'm not unfamiliar with manipulation of jpg images. I've played with them since windoz 3.1, well maybe not that long but long enough. One thing I've never done was to publish pics to a website another words have to worry about file size. Now can someone tell me how to reduce my files to the 50k limit for my albums at ecf. I've even started some small tutorials on things I've not seen in the forum. I'm very familiar with Paint shop pro. I've already tried using the camera at vga- supposed to be email size. I've tried some online optimization programs. So I'm not completely dumb on this subject and if someone can point me in the right direction (yes I've googled the heck out of it over the years). The attachment is what I get when trying to upload a jpg to my albums in the user control panel. I can't see my attachment in the post preview. Oh well here goes.
thanks
frustrated

Attachments

• Help.jpg
    Help.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
If using Paint - When saving the "Save Confirmation" dialog box gives you the chance to adjust "Quality". Higher the number the better quality but at screen resolutions you can get away with some pretty low quality settings. (i.e. 100% qaulity, 148KB jpg is only 21KB when saved at 30%. This drop off is almost imperceptable to most people at most screen resolutions).

With Photoshop I'd suggest using the "Save for web" option and again, adjust the quality level to as low as is acceptable.

Other image editing programs may vary slightly on how you go about adjusting save quality, but they all should allow for it.

If you're saving for something that's going to be printed, enlarged, or zoomed in on, you'll have to be more careful with the settings as artifacts/issues might be more noticable.

BTW, IS there a 50K limit to album pics?

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
BTW, IS there a 50K limit to album pics?
Yep, and I think that is an increase from what it was not so long ago. As I recall, it was a ridiculous 20K.
Maximum File Size per Picture 50.0 KB Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 400 Pixels
I use ThumbsPlus most of the time, it allows you to save with quality from 20 to 100, use various sub-sampling algorhythms, and see the calculated file size before the save is made so you can adjust the quality accordingly. I have Photoshop but it's overkill for most of the stuff I do. 50KB per image is reasonable, even up to 600x400 ... also reasonable.

Last edited:

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Yep, and I think that is an increase from what it was not so long ago. As I recall, it was a ridiculous 20K.

I use ThumbsPlus most of the time, it allows you to save with quality from 20 to 100, use various sub-sampling algorhythms, and see the calculated file size before the save is made so you can adjust the quality accordingly. I have Photoshop but it's overkill for most of the stuff I do. 50KB per image is reasonable, even up to 600x400 ... also reasonable.

Half the pics in my album are over 50K? Of course, they're not much over, but they are over? Wonder what the actual cutoff is?

Uncle Bill

ECF Veteran
I use the free Faststone Image Viewer to crop, resize, do minor manipulations, and adjust image file size before posting to web pages. I do web development work and using the Faststone Image Viewer is faster and easier than using the expensive image editing programs I also have available.

In most cases, image file sizes compressed to under 50k will work just fine for web display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread