Help. Smoktek SmokTank dead after only 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
Hi guys,

I've been experimenting with different. Methods to fi d what I like.
Have an EPM Variable tank, and a smoktek Dual coil cart SmokTank.

Anyways, after only 1.5 days the cart won't fire :(, was working fine, but after my battery died and I swapped with another batt, it was dead :(

Anyways, I pulled the driptip off a few times to clean it, and I noticed the wool filler inside looked quite white. Did the cart die because it was dry?

I have 1 replacement cart. Please let me know any tips so I dont blow this one also.

I filled the cart before filling the tank, and thought the tank would keep the cart wet right?
Do I have to hold it at a certain angle or anything?

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I spent just over $50 for an Stainless Steel EPM carto tank, and would like to be able to use it properly without worrying about breaking it.

Cheers
Kev

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
If you think your tank is getting too dry and you're getting a harsh burnt taste, take a couple of drags without pressing the button. This draws juice into the carto without vaporising it. If you do this too often you can flood the carto, but with a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it.

The other thing to keep an eye out for is towards the end of your battery life, you may find as your voltage drops you may not be vaporising the juice quick enough and your carto can flood. I put my batteries on the charger when it starts producing less vapor, I don't wait for them to start flashing/blinking.

Last edited:

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
Thanks for the help guys.
There was no burnt taste so I think it may be the pin as described by the helpful posts above.

I have no idea where the pin is though lol

I've looked down the big hole of the threaded end and can't see anything lol.
I've also looked down the hole of working carts and can't see much difference :(

Can anyone explain exactly where and how to pry the pin down?
Photos or an online tute would be great.

Thanks ;)

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
When you look at the threaded end of your carto you'll see a round bit with a hole in the middle, looks like a donut, sometimes they have a slot across them that looks like it would fit a Stanley screw driver. That round bit is a floating pin which connects your battery to the atomizer part of your carto. If that little circle doesn't connect with your battery nothing will work. Get something like a sewing needle or similar to gently ease the pin slightly upward, but not too far or it will pop out. You don't need to stick anything in the centre hole, just gently ease it up from around the edge of the circle. Try a little bit at first, if nothing happens raise it a little bit more and try again.

Cigarman

Registered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
smoktek.com
Great explanation Adam. This pic might help.

The center post should protrude just a little past the threads. Don't turn it though, you can't unscrew it like you might think. There is a wire attached to the post, turning it will break the connection to the coils. As for seeing white in the filler material, this is normal. It won't look saturated like a normal carto would if you were topping it off.
-Rob

kissthefloor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2012
TemCorp
you guys are geniuses! :D

the smoktech DCT is my 1st carto, and i'm getting a few problems with it. 1st off, when i top up the tank fully, juice leaks from the bottom and basically floods the connection. seems like even if i wait for the juice to settle before putting the top seal in doesnt alleviate the issue. am i doing something wrong?

Also, the vapor production and taste diminishes once i get to half tank. Taking a few drags w/o power like what Aussieland Adam said helps but this seems to be too repetitive.

coyotech

Jun 1, 2009
I have trouble with mine flooding. The gaskets for the tank aren't leaking, but juice leaks out through the bottom pin and also gets into your mouth. A new cartridge works OK until I have to refill it, then the trouble begins! How do you clean them, and how do you keep from flooding them when you have to fill and reassemble them? I get the same results whether I put juice in foam in the tube, or just pour it in the tank.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Sounds like a bad carto. I've had the misfortune of seeing quite a few. Assuming that you are not dripping liquid into the center airway tube in the center of the carto, it shouldn't leak. If you did, or overfilled it slightly, you can blow through the cartos without the tank attached to clear the airway. Refill the tank and try vaping. If it still leaks, then you've got a defective carto.

hitman4274

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
south west florida
I have trouble with mine flooding. The gaskets for the tank aren't leaking, but juice leaks out through the bottom pin and also gets into your mouth. A new cartridge works OK until I have to refill it, then the trouble begins! How do you clean them, and how do you keep from flooding them when you have to fill and reassemble them? I get the same results whether I put juice in foam in the tube, or just pour it in the tank.

you guys are geniuses! :D

the smoktech DCT is my 1st carto, and i'm getting a few problems with it. 1st off, when i top up the tank fully, juice leaks from the bottom and basically floods the connection. seems like even if i wait for the juice to settle before putting the top seal in doesnt alleviate the issue. am i doing something wrong?

Also, the vapor production and taste diminishes once i get to half tank. Taking a few drags w/o power like what Aussieland Adam said helps but this seems to be too repetitive.

How are you guys reassembling the tanks after you fill them, if your fingers are covering the air holes too and bottom you could be creating air pressure in the tank/carto forcing liquid out which would cause a "flood" I figured this out the hard way a couple times myself, yet the tank will work flawlessly after. So I guess what I'm gettin at is, does it continue to flood or just right after you fill em up?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
I have noticed that, just like some cartos are duds, some have a tendency to flood, especially
once they have flooded the first time. If you are filling by taking off the top cap, you are forcing
fluid out the bottom when you put the top cap back on. Remember, one of the things that
make a tank work is it is under a vacuum once it is assembled.

I read somewhere, that if you put the top cap on just to the point of making contact with
the o-ring, then flip it over so the air bubble is by the hole in the carto, you can snap
the cap the rest of the way in, and only be forcing air out through the bottom of carto.

If you are going to use tanks, a "Slap Yo Mama" tank filler is a must have tool.

PBusardo did a review of it here.

note - I just watched it again, and if you notice when he is re-inserting the carto after filling,
how it kinda "bumps" two times when he is pressing down, that is because he "slots" his
cartos, rather than "punches" them. Even when using the SYM, slots will tear up your o-rings,
especially on a tight tank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread