Help needed with mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Take the nicotine strength of your base solution and divide by 12.
So if you have eg 48mg/ml base then 48/12 = 4, that means 1 part nic base + 3 parts pg/vg base.
Or for another example, if you have 100mg/ml strength nic base then 100/12 = 8.3, i.e. 1 part nic base into 7.3 parts pg/vg.

You just have to divide your 500ml by the ratio of the pg/vg you calculated to know how much nic to add, eg for the 48mg/ml that would be 500ml/3 = 166.6ml and for the 100 that's 500ml/7.3 = 68.5ml, that would both give you 12mg/ml base (note though slightly different amounts).

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Another way to calculate it is:

Amount to add = (initial volume x target concentration) ÷ (base concentration - target concentration)

or

(500 ml x 12 mg/ml) ÷ (base concentration - 12 mg/ml)

With 48 mg/ml nicotine base, you'd get:

= 6000 mg ÷ (48 mg/ml - 12 mg/ml)
= 6000 mg ÷ 36 mg/ml
= 166.7 ml

In other words, just what untar said (except for the 0.1 ml rounding difference, which isn't enough to matter).

ETA: If you don't trust yourself with math, there's also the option of an online ejuice calculator like this one:

NICOTINE CALCULATOR

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You need 500 x 12 mg of nicotine. (12mg for every ml)

That's 6,000mg needing to add to your 500ml.

If your nicotine is 100mg, that is 60ml of Nicotine liquid.

If your nicotine is 72mg (like Europe) you need 83.3ml

Guessing you are in America*, if you add 60ml of 100mg* liquid to 500ml of VPG you end up with 560ml.

Doing it this way you are also reducing your strength by just over 12% which means you'll end up with e-liquid about 10.7mg which you won't notice, not unless you are a specially trained dog that can test nicotine strengths with a wag of your magic nose.

If you don't want to hire this dog and his magic nose - use a calculator.
Or add another 6-7ml of nicotine and call it quits.

If it was me.... I'd pour 60ml of your VG/PG into another bottle (save it) and go with the 500ml by topping up the 500ml bottle with 60ml. Make sure you know where your bottle is filled to... or we'll be getting that dog in and charging you. :D

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
While those online calculators are fine and dandy I'd only suggest using them if you can do a quick back of the envelope calculation by yourself. Maybe there's a glitch in the matrix, maybe there's an error in the script, maybe there's a hard to spot typo in the input you gave - if you blindly trust the calculator you're setting yourself up for disappointment (or a throat hit your grandchildren will still tell stories about). Knowing the rough ballpark of the result you expect is never wrong.

It's not even maths, it's just simple calculations and common sense, you can do it 100%. Just takes a short time to understand how it works and then you can use that online calculator proudly, knowing that you're independent of it and you're watching its a:censored:.

Ronnyt

Aug 24, 2018
You need 500 x 12 mg of nicotine. (12mg for every ml)

That's 6,000mg needing to add to your 500ml.

If your nicotine is 100mg, that is 60ml of Nicotine liquid.

If your nicotine is 72mg (like Europe) you need 83.3ml

Guessing you are in America*, if you add 60ml of 100mg* liquid to 500ml of VPG you end up with 560ml.

Doing it this way you are also reducing your strength by just over 12% which means you'll end up with e-liquid about 10.7mg which you won't notice, not unless you are a specially trained dog that can test nicotine strengths with a wag of your magic nose.

If you don't want to hire this dog and his magic nose - use a calculator.
Or add another 6-7ml of nicotine and call it quits.

If it was me.... I'd pour 60ml of your VG/PG into another bottle (save it) and go with the 500ml by topping up the 500ml bottle with 60ml. Make sure you know where your bottle is filled to... or we'll be getting that dog in and charging you. :D

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks very much! Now I understand :)
Welcome and glad you joined.
Happy to hear everything is straightened out.
Responding to each reply can be daunting. If you choose, you can click "like" (the thumbs up) icon,or other icons, at bottom right hand corner of this post, this action will notify the respondent of your following response.

Hashy

Aug 26, 2018
I find this app is a really big help. Maybe it will help you too. It's essential for me, especially since my maths is stone age.

edit: I can't post links yet I think. Search on the google play store for 'Vape Tool'. It has a round blue icon with a white coil. There's a free version & a paid/pro version. Free version works just fine for most necessary purposes.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hello :)

I already have a 500ml bottle of 70%PG/30%VG mix. I don’t want to add flavour but I want to add nicotine. I vape 12mg strength. Can you tell me how much Nicotine Base Liquid Nicotine I would add to my 500ml bottle to get a strength of 12mg nicotine for the entire bottle?

Thank you.

Ron

For one, I don't know what nic strength your base is. You could have 100ml/mg base, or 12mg/ml base. Nobody can do any calculations without that key piece of information. I personally use a 100mg/ml base myself to make the math easier.

• Agree

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Another way to calculate it is:

Amount to add = (initial volume x target concentration) ÷ (base concentration - target concentration)

or

(500 ml x 12 mg/ml) ÷ (base concentration - 12 mg/ml)

With 48 mg/ml nicotine base, you'd get:

= 6000 mg ÷ (48 mg/ml - 12 mg/ml)
= 6000 mg ÷ 36 mg/ml
= 166.7 ml

In other words, just what untar said (except for the 0.1 ml rounding difference, which isn't enough to matter).

ETA: If you don't trust yourself with math, there's also the option of an online ejuice calculator like this one:

NICOTINE CALCULATOR
I make my life easy for mixing... I buy 100mg/ml base, and my bottles are 100ml. If I want 6mg/ml of nic, I put 6ml in. My recipes for flavor are in %, so each % = 1ml. So, I add nic, then flavors, then fill the rest to 100ml... problem solved, no calculator needed.

My go to... %6 lorannes Guava, %5 capellas vanilla custard, 6mg/ml... all PG based, and the rest I fill with VG. So, 6ml of lorannes, 5ml vanilla custard, 6ml of my base, and fill the rest up with VG. Turns out to be a 17/83 pg/vg 6ml guava creme....

• Agree

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I find this app is a really big help. Maybe it will help you too. It's essential for me, especially since my maths is stone age.

edit: I can't post links yet I think. Search on the google play store for 'Vape Tool'. It has a round blue icon with a white coil. There's a free version & a paid/pro version. Free version works just fine for most necessary purposes.
I use that app (pro version) but found that for mixing the app Liqcalc is much more useful and easier to use. I still use vape tool for everything else though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread