Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Hi everyone,

I need some help before I trash my JoyeTech 18650 eGo mod's switch (if I haven't already).

I am using the hardware noted in my sig line, just got my ACTv4 tank yesterday. Without going into a lot of fussing and ranting about the 510-to-510 adapter that came with the tank, let's just say I need "a better one".

The problem I'm having may be common to eGo-type batteries and probably a few other mods with 510 battery connectors. It is happening with my JoyeTech 18650 eGo mod, as well as the SmokTech 900mAh eGo batteries I've tried the included 510 extender with.

Basically, the center pin on the batteries are, or at least WERE, higher up inside the eGo connectors' 510 threads. But since the center pin on the male end of the 510 extender included with the tank is flush with the threaded "skirt", it pushes the center pin down as you turn the assembled tank onto the battery. (On the ACTv4, the threads of the carto are "popped through" a hole in the bottom of the tank body, and you use the 510 extender to attach/tighten the carto to the tank body, and then screw the assembled tank into the 510 threads on your battery)

The next part of the problem, at least with the included 510 extender, is that the thread majors on the male end are WAY too small. They're "510 threads", but it is a very loose fit and the tank wobbles in the eGo connector. You have to turn the assembly down pretty far into the threads before there is enough in there to stop the tank from wobbling. But by then, you have pushed the center pin in the eGo connector so far down into the threads that it bottoms out and shorts the switch out. Fortunately the batts have short-circuit protection.

I know about the trick to gently "pry" the center pin back up, but of course it will just compress back down again the next time you put the tank on. I've done this a couple times now to my JoyeTech eGo mod switch, ended up deforming that tiny thin gasket under the center pin in the process, and am afraid I am going to ruin the switch if I keep doing this (if I haven't already).

If I don't turn the tank assembly down as far, the switch doesn't short out and the carto works, but it wobbles horribly on the eGo connector.

I'm not 100% sure (I am sort of a n00b but fairly mechanically inclined) -- and would warmly welcome any good advice -- but I think what I need is a 510-to-510 shorty connector that has a recessed center pin on the male end, ie, so you can get it threaded some ways onto the 510 threads of the eGo connector before contact gets made between the center pins, if that makes sense. This way it doesn't just start compressing the center pin on the eGo connector down as soon as you start threading the extender down onto the connector, but lets you get a few turns first.

Can someone recommend such a beast? I'm looking for one that has GOOD threads on it - not something that wobbles and gradually damages the threads on my eGo batts. (I already have that....) Ideally, a sealed connector (since its just to make the battery connection, the air inlet would come from the notches cut into the top of the female end). And it would be awesome if I could find one that would let me get it turned down all the way, so that the shoulder of the male end of the extender meets the end of the 510 threads of the battery's eGo connection.

I saw the $7 one at Mad Vapes - the one that comes with a nut I don't need - folks seem to be pretty happy with the quality of the threads on this one. It appears to have a recessed center pin on the male end but I'm not sure if it is recessed (enough?) and I'd hate to spend $7 each + tax + shipping to get a connector that doesn't help me.

I also saw the sealed 510 shorty connector, but not sure if this would work well for me or not. The comment/review on this one about using it on SmokTech 900 mAh batts to solve the problem of center pins getting pushed down too far sounds about like what I'm running to, but I'm not sure if this type would be good to use unless I planned to LEAVE it on the battery and then use a different extender to assemble the tank with and attach to it. I'm not saying I wouldn't do this, but it would probably be better if I didn't have to.

It doesn't HAVE to come from Mad Vapes - I'll buy it from any reputable vendor in the US. We are happy MV customers though. I just need to get adapters that work, and if that means I need two of them on my setup to solve my problem, I can live with that.

I guess as long as the adapter has good threads, it wouldn't necessarily HAVE to have a recessed pin, it just seems like it would bottom the center pin out before it was fully screwed down if the pin isn't recessed (unless it is made to fit an ego?).

If you can make any good recommendations (especially if you have seen a similar problem before) - please share it with me - I will definitely appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nic-holio

Last edited:

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Hoosier has the 510 to 510 adapeters in stock at adapters for different thread types.

I could use that type of 510-510 in a pinch but I won't be able to thread it down very far before it is compressing the center pin. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hey did you get your satin provari? I guess it's OK for us to talk about that secret new black finish now huh? :)

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Hi Feldwin,

It's not the same thing I was looking for. I was looking for a 510 "shorty extender". 510 battery connector on one end and 510 atomizer/cartomizer end on the other. Technically an eGo atomizer to 510 battery adapter could work, but don't need the big eGo threads on the outside - heh, especially since I would have been attaching this adapter to an eGo battery. :)

Anyway it's OK now. My Provaris are somewhere between me and 50 miles from here, and I won't be spending any more brain cycles or $$$ to solve the problems I've had using that tank with that eGo batt.

I be revisiting design of 510 connectors again at some point for some ideas I have, but not for this JoyeTech 18650 eGo.

I did pick up Provape's 510-to-eGo adapter for my wife so she will be able to use her EMDCC's on a Provari. Theirs is USA-made and adjustable too.

Cheers,
Nic-holio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread