help! confused about my atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferdz

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Southern California
hey all.

so i got some 510 attys in the mail on the 4th. today is the 9th.

Im new to dripping, but should it have burnt out already? These are 510 atty's for my SB from altsmoke. About 20m ago, I got the most FOUL flavor out of that atty. It was working like a charm up till now. I let it cool, tried blowing it out, and a short "dry burn" method most people suggest, to no avail. It actually got worse. :mad:

I was going to post some pictures of the inside of a new one, and the "foul" one. The brand new one has an interesting white "rubber" looking area under the bridge. The used one does not. Im assuming thats just the cord for wicking. But you all would know better than I.

Should I start boiling some water? Or bust out the vodka? Seems, that after 5 days, I shouldn't be down 1 atty. (and yes, I only go 2-3 drops MAX - have never flooded it)

ideas? :confused::confused::confused:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
True Joye 510 atty's will have a fiberglass supplemental wick that runs from the bridge to the coil. It will look like small elephant ears sticking out of one or both sides of the bridge (in your case, it may look like rubber). It's supposed to be there.

Some clone 510 attys do not have this wick. And on older attys the wick may have turned black, making it harder to see.

DVS

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Hawaii
Seems to me that the atty is dry. Try dripping a couple more drops in there and don't worry about flooding. If on a manual battery flooding won't hurt the battery. And as for that wick under the bridge I personally take it out because I mainly drip. I overheated the atty once and that wick became frayed so since then always take it out. I'm still on that atty for 2 months now.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Right... if you drip and only drip, the 510 supplemental wick is a waste of time. Heck, you'd probably get similar results with a 901 atty.

Speaking thereof: VaporKings carries a 510 SLB "clone" atty that doesn't have a wick.. and has a slightly higher resistance. I've only seen/used a couple of them, but I've always liked SLB's quality control.. and this atty may be the perfect thing for a lot of people.

DVS

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Hawaii
Here's another tip if you use a 510 and mainly drip. I have noticed alot of condensation building up on the cart (the end that inserts into the atty). I cut off most of that end of the cart that inserts into the atty. Cut it off above the intake holes probably 3/8's of an inch. A whole lot less condensation and leakage from the cart/atty connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread