Help! Can't get Genesis Atomizer to Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael83

Feb 14, 2014
New Hampshire
Im pretty new as well, but I had no problems from the stary with my genny. I loosen one of the fill screws a little so that air can get in to replace the area if negative pressure caused by the wick sucking juice up. This gives flow to the wick otherwise thete will be a vacuum and no flow. Also I saturate the wick at the top along with filling. I have not had any problems wicking, and I have done this from the start (lol about a week ago) :D

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Guys/Gals, Thanks so much for the information. I am armed with more knowledge now than when I started. I will try what has been recommended here and will give you an update. I will try again tomorrow evening.

Im pretty new as well, but I had no problems from the stary with my genny. I loosen one of the fill screws a little so that air can get in to replace the area if negative pressure caused by the wick sucking juice up. This gives flow to the wick otherwise thete will be a vacuum and no flow. Also I saturate the wick at the top along with filling. I have not had any problems wicking, and I have done this from the start (lol about a week ago) :D

Michael, Funny thing is I also just received a kraken genesis atmozier. My first build with that was perfect with no problems. It's this Jemit Assets V3 hybrid that I can't get working at all. Funny how the atty being just a little difference makes huge impacts. I don't believe I just got lucky with the kraken (possible but unlikely).

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Greetings, sorry to hear about your grief. Twenty times sounds about right, it took me that many times to start getting anything that worked at all with my genny (which came with a build already done, so I knew what a properly set up genesis was like before I start doing builds).

In the picture on the right, that coil still isn't quit right; it's glowing more brightly towards the top, and the bottom coil is hardly glowing at all.

And, as mentioned, it sounds like your wick isn't quite right -- once you figure it out, it's very simple to do. Are you oxidizing with a torch? I tried a cigarette lighter and a gas stove, and neither really worked. Also, the best results I get is when the wick is very dense -- using about 65 mm of 500 mesh for my wicks, I no longer have to do the 'genny tilt' to get a good vape.

Anyhow, you're not that far off...break it down problem by problem, keep asking questions, and you'll get there!

-- Glenn

Good Morning Guys/Gals,

Before I get started I wanted to say it is a privilege to be part of this community. I have been a lurker since 2011 and I finally decided to join. Thanks everyone for being as great as you are.

Anyway, I have a relatively new Jemit Assets V3 Genesis Hybrid Mech Mod and I am having a heck of a time setting it up. This was the first genesis atomizer that I have owned. Last week I received a Kraken and since the first build it has been perfect so I know that I can do this.

I have tried rebuilding the Jemit about 20 times and none work right. I really think it is a wicking issue, but of course since I have little experience I may be wrong.

I have tried both normal and micro coils with SS Mesh (both #200 and #400). I have tried dual and single wicks.

My process is:

1. Roll my wick. (I have tried rolling solid and non-solid wicks)
2. Oxidize wick (I have tried oxidizing only the top and the whole wick)
3. Insert wick into wick hole (I roll it so that it slides through the hole without getting caught).
4. Wrap coil (3/4 coils)
5. Check Resistance with DMM (single coil about 1.3)
6. pulse coil so they glow evenly (inside to outside).
7. Fill with juice.
8. Cry

Problem is after filling with juice the coils will still glow red. Sometimes only the top, sometimes top and bottom. Sometimes faster they glow, sometimes after two seconds. Bottom line is they always glow at some point and burn my juice.

I have ordered some ss rope wick to try that next.

What can I do? After tens of hours with this I am ready to bury it under all the snow in my yard.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 306850 View attachment 306851 View attachment 306852 View attachment 306853

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Greetings, sorry to hear about your grief. Twenty times sounds about right, it took me that many times to start getting anything that worked at all with my genny (which came with a build already done, so I knew what a properly set up genesis was like before I start doing builds).

In the picture on the right, that coil still isn't quit right; it's glowing more brightly towards the top, and the bottom coil is hardly glowing at all.

And, as mentioned, it sounds like your wick isn't quite right -- once you figure it out, it's very simple to do. Are you oxidizing with a torch? I tried a cigarette lighter and a gas stove, and neither really worked. Also, the best results I get is when the wick is very dense -- using about 65 mm of 500 mesh for my wicks, I no longer have to do the 'genny tilt' to get a good vape.

Anyhow, you're not that far off...break it down problem by problem, keep asking questions, and you'll get there!

-- Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have #400 mesh. I have rolled some pretty dense wicks. I will continue to do so. I have pretty awesome creme brulee torch that I use to oxidize the wicks. When I fire different things happen depending on how wet the wick is. If it has been sitting awhile it takes about 3 seconds for the legs to start glowing. Usually a little near the positive pin and a little near the negative pin first. As the wick dries out it starts glowing differently.

No matter how much I tilt they still glow after a relatively short fire. I try to move them around somewhat with a flat head precision screwdriver but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Interesting, I was getting that 'glowing wick' thing in earlier builds that weren't working, iirc mostly with 28 gauge Kanthol. What gauge are you using? I'm getting my best results with 32 gauge (with 4 wraps = between 1.5 an 1.7 oHms).

Have you tried the drill bit coil setup method? A number of people swear buy it (including me). The DrillBit Method - YouTube

On another ECF sub-fourm, someone has offered to share his instructions for what he calls a 'can't fail' method of making wicks, I want to find out what he does, so I've asked him to hook me up. I'll make a mental note to PM you once I hear from him.

-- Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have #400 mesh. I have rolled some pretty dense wicks. I will continue to do so. I have pretty awesome creme brulee torch that I use to oxidize the wicks. When I fire different things happen depending on how wet the wick is. If it has been sitting awhile it takes about 3 seconds for the legs to start glowing. Usually a little near the positive pin and a little near the negative pin first. As the wick dries out it starts glowing differently.

No matter how much I tilt they still glow after a relatively short fire. I try to move them around somewhat with a flat head precision screwdriver but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
from what I understand about SS mesh... yea glowing coils are good to find the even heat distribution when there is no juice. But when its time for the juice to be applied glowing is not a good thing... way too hot burns the juice .... even with the other wick ( silica,cotton eko) you dont want glowing coils when wet with juice...

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
...No matter how much I tilt they still glow after a relatively short fire. I try to move them around somewhat with a flat head precision screwdriver but it doesn't seem to be helping.

PS: The most common mistakes I made at the start were with the bottom and top leg, being either too loose or too tight between the wick and terminals. The drill bit method tends to avoid this problem.

The other mistake was not having the leads attached securely enough (i.e. not screwed down tight enough).

Edit:
from what I understand about SS mesh... yea glowing coils are good to find the even heat distribution when there is no juice. But when its time for the juice to be applied glowing is not a good thing... way too hot burns the juice .... even with the other wick ( silica,cotton eko) you dont want glowing coils when wet with juice... QUOTE]

I think bce22 is actually talking about the mesh wick glowing when he dry fires his mod.

-- Glenn

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
PS: The most common mistakes I made at the start were with the bottom and top leg, being either too loose or too tight between the wick and terminals. The drill bit method tends to avoid this problem.

The other mistake was not having the leads attached securely enough (i.e. not screwed down tight enough).

Edit:
from what I understand about SS mesh... yea glowing coils are good to find the even heat distribution when there is no juice. But when its time for the juice to be applied glowing is not a good thing... way too hot burns the juice .... even with the other wick ( silica,cotton eko) you dont want glowing coils when wet with juice... QUOTE]

I think bce22 is actually talking about the mesh wick glowing when he dry fires his mod.

-- Glenn

wow.... now that is seriously hot or the wick is carrying the current... either way makes for a nasty vape

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Interesting, I was getting that 'glowing wick' thing in earlier builds that weren't working, iirc mostly with 28 gauge Kanthol. What gauge are you using? I'm getting my best results with 32 gauge (with 4 wraps = between 1.5 an 1.7 oHms).

Have you tried the drill bit coil setup method? A number of people swear buy it (including me). The DrillBit Method - YouTube

On another ECF sub-fourm, someone has offered to share his instructions for what he calls a 'can't fail' method of making wicks, I want to find out what he does, so I've asked him to hook me up. I'll make a mental note to PM you once I hear from him.

-- Glenn

Hi Glenn, I haven't had a chance to look at the video but I have wrapped micro-coils on a drill bit. I also have the wire wrapping gizmo that is popular in the micro-coil thread in the RBA forum. Works a treat. I tried 10-12 wrap 28g kanthal micro coils and it didn't work well. It took too long to get going and once it started to go the coil started turning red. Didn't seem to wick enough up through the coil.

I tried wrapping 3/4 coils with both 28g and 30g. I have some 32g but haven't tried that yet. I haven't even opened the package of it yet.

from what I understand about SS mesh... yea glowing coils are good to find the even heat distribution when there is no juice. But when its time for the juice to be applied glowing is not a good thing... way too hot burns the juice .... even with the other wick ( silica,cotton eko) you dont want glowing coils when wet with juice...

Very true. It is my genesis bane right now! the stinkin' glowing coils.

Interesting. This is probably the problem. I have to try again. I will look into the drill bit method. I got home from work too late to try again tonight. It will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edit:

-- Glenn

That is right, I am talking about them glowing perfectly when dry firing and then STILL glowing when trying to vape. It's my problem. Funny how my first build with the kraken works perfectly but no luck with this Jemit Assets hybrid.

Thanks everyone, I will give you an update tomorrow evening. You have all been amazingly helpful to me.

Regards!!!!

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
UPDATE:

Today in the mailxI received SS Rope Wick. I received 2 different sizes (1/16 &5/64) of 7-19 rope. I cut a piece short enough so it doesnt touch the bottom of the tank. I oxidized it using my torch, rolled a small piece of oxidized #400 mesh tightly on the top where the coils go and wrapped a 3/4 coil using 0.5 x. 1 kanthal ribbon and it wicks like a dream!

No hotspots after pulsing it dry for a couple of minutes!

I am calling it a success. only issue is that the resistance is about 1.7ohm. Flavor is muted some and the vape is pretty cool. It kicks out a ton of vapor though. I think next time I'll shoot for a 1.1 - 1.2ohm coil on this genesis hybrid mech mod.

Thanks everyone for the help. I learned alot.

Regards,

Brad

Mike4177

Feb 21, 2014
South carolina
It is all about getting the coil to bed in the mesh right. Take your time and tinker with it.
Hot legs come from there being too much distance between the coil and the posts. If tilting the wick
Towards the positive post doesn't work put a ss flat washer on the positive post to take up som of the
Distance on it. If it is at the negative post, pull it closer to the deck and kink the wire towards the wick. Remember
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Take your time and tinker with it.

Mike4177

Feb 21, 2014
South carolina
7x7 ss cable with 500 ss mesh with twisted 28 ga @.5 ohms

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread