hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome back for another review by yours truly. This time I will be doing my best to provide you with a fair, honest, and hopefully informative review on the new Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo rta that was sent to me by Hellvape. The DR Solo is 24mm at the base but angles out to 25.5mm. It has a liquid capacity of 2ml with the straight glass and 4ml with the included spare bubble glass. It makes use of a postless deck with four screws to allow the user to install a single coil despite which way it is wound. The DR Solo is a top airflow rta so you won’t have to worry about any leaking. Something that I don’t think I’ve seen on a Hellvape tank before is that the top cap is a push to open filling system. I’ll cover that a little more in depth later. For now let’s go ahead and see what’s included and look at some promotional images.

LbXJ19g.jpg

LPBxuv2.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1 * Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RTA

1 * Bubble Glass

1 * Accessory Bag

1 * User Manual

5ff8aLc.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:
    gbf9qq3.jpg

FEATURES:

• Drip Tip: 810

• Capacity: 2ml/4ml

• Coil Type: Single Coil

• Support both clockwise and counterclockwise coil

• Top fill

• Top interlayer honeycomb airflow

• Leakage Proof

CvHWMIZ.jpg

3oh9zHr.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Dead Rabbit Solo is pretty much what I have come to expect from Hellvape after having reviewed for them for some time. The front of the box has a nice color picture of the rta but isn’t a picture of the same color as what is contained inside the box. I received the Blue and Gold versions for this review. There is a sticker on the front of each box that tells the actual color of the tank contained inside. The Hellvape and DR Solo names are of course on the front along with the Hellvape insignia. The back side of the box has a list of features, a contents list and company information.

1694877891722.png

Once opened then you can see the very nice appearance of the DR Solo tank. I’m not usually a fan of gold tanks but I really like it on this one. Of course blue is my favorite but that is the case with any tank. It comes with the straight glass pre-installed that limits the user to a liquid capacity of 2ml but fortunately includes a bubble glass that boosts the capacity to 4ml. Depending on the coil you install in the tank, it can really blow through that 4ml of liquid fairly quickly.

After having reviewed many Hellvape tanks and rda’s I was rather surprised by the limited amount of items that were included with the DR Solo. It of course comes with the tank, spare bubble glass, user manual, and an accessory bag with some o rings, a screwdriver, and some spare grub screws. There are not any coils or cotton included and many times Hellvape tanks come with a coil cutting guide. I am not sure why those items were not included in this package.

1694877927245.png

1694877952781.png

You might be tired of hearing this if you read my reviews but I like to remind people to disassemble a new tank and give it a good cleaning before using it for the first time just in case there is leftover machining oil or debris left in the tank. The DR Solo breaks down into six pieces including the 810 drip tip.

1694878001504.png

The top cap of the DR Solo is a push to open type top cap that I don’t ever recall seeing on another Hellvape tank but have seen it on some others. I do like this type of top fill cap design as long as it doesn’t slide open too easy and on the DR Solo is has a decent amount of tension so it does not come open accidentally. Where to push to open is clearly marked on the top cap so there is no guessing to it. In the third picture below you can also see that the top cap is threaded and can be fairly easily removed for cleaning. It is much easier to remove than a couple other tanks that I have used that have the same type of slide to fill design.

1694878524410.png

dzpumZT.jpg

1694878571873.png

1694878636543.png

As I had mentioned earlier, the DR Solo comes with a straight glass pre-installed which only allows a 2ml liquid capacity which would be a nightmare to be constantly filling so I chose to go ahead and install the spare bubble glass on both units for testing. One side of the inner chamber has the Hellvape name visible on the top cap and the Hellvape Dead Rabbit logo on the main chamber. The opposite side of the chamber has the Dead Rabbit Solo name printed on it.

1694878684929.png

The inside of the chamber has fourteen honeycomb holes on each side to allow airflow to hit the sides of the coil as well as a large oval juice inlet on each side. In the second picture below you can see that the inner chamber area is reduced into a rectangular shape to match the shape of the build deck. If you pay attention to this then the base is easier to align and thread onto the chamber.

1694878727309.png

1694878757626.png

The build deck has four screws although being a single coil rta. This is to allow the user to more easily install the coil whether it is wound clockwise or counter clockwise. As I mentioned above, the deck is in a rectangular shape and aligns with the rectangular opening in the chamber. The grub screws are slotted head screws. I personally prefer an allen head type grub screw on decks like this to make it easier to fit the tool properly to tighten the coil in place. There are three oval openings in the top of the deck that allow some airflow to hit the bottom of the coil while the coil is also getting airflow from the sides through the honeycomb holes in the chamber. This is a top airflow tank so the airflow comes in through the two slotted holes on top and comes down to hit the coil from the side and underneath simultaneously.

Lt9cvNn.jpg

dKYJHzS.jpg

AylP4fz.jpg

For building the DR Solo decks I decided to use a couple coils that I commonly use since Hellvape didn’t include any coils or cotton with this tank. I put a .4 ohm Ni80 3mm coil in the blue tank and did a burn in on the coil. I chose to cut the coil at 5mm which seemed to work out pretty well for me. I found it very easy to insert the coil but just don’t love the little slotted head grub screws since they are so small I have difficulty seeing the heads to insert a screwdriver in the correct place. With this type of screw being used it would be better if the screw openings were a little deeper so when you try to insert the screw driver it would just be a matter of turning the screwdriver until it finds the slot. Or just use an allen head screw. The wick holes on the deck are very close to the coil so you don’t need to cut the cotton very long. On the deck for the blue one I cut the cotton even with the edge of the deck and gave the wick a slight comb out and trimmed the ends a little more before inserting them into the wick slots. I was a little worried that I had left too much cotton but this tank seems very forgiving on the wicking and it worked wonderfully with very good flavor production and no dry hits.

With the deck for the gold version, I used a .37 ohm Ni80 3mm coil. This time I decided to get more aggressive with the comb out on the wick to see if I got any flooding or gurgling. I didn’t. Just like the blue version, it worked very well and had very good flavor production. I used two very different liquids on the two tanks to see how it handled different types of flavors. On the blue version I used a guava green tea mix and the flavor production was very good and the guava came through very sharp. On the gold version I used a red velvet cake mix that was a bit heavy on the creams side and it also produced very good flavor and the red velvet nuances came out very nicely.

grFdNzV.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

As usual, it has been a real pleasure testing these two tanks from Hellvape. I feel like Hellvape makes very good quality tanks at an affordable price. The threading and build quality are always very good and they were on these also. I have bought tanks that cost 2-3 times as much as these and don’t perform any better.

I love how easy the build deck on these are to place the coil and wick while being very forgiving in my opinion on the wicking technique. Yes I’ve built and wicked a lot of tanks over the years but didn’t have to put any extra effort into the wicking on these. I’m sure at some point you could over stuff the wick slots if you didn’t comb out the wick at all or tried a larger coil with too much wick but for a 24mm rta, I think the 3mm size is a good fit. I didn’t try it but would think that a 2.5mm coil would work well also with little or no comb out on the wick.

I was a little surprised and also a little disappointed that the tanks didn’t come with the usual coils, cotton threads, and coil cutting guide like I have become used to seeing in almost all Hellvape tanks that I have reviewed in the past. I would guess that they are just trying to cut costs to keep the price of the tanks down but don’t know that for sure. I personally would rather pay a couple extra dollars to get the extra accessories.

I’d like to thank Hellvape and Lisha for sending the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RTA for this review. I have enjoyed testing them and plan on keeping them in my rotation for the foreseeable future. Thanks as always to the readers for taking the time out of your day to read my reviews. Below is a link to the website if you would like to take a closer look at the DR Solo or any of the other nice tanks that Hellvape has to offer.

2301 Dead Rabbit Solo RTA-Hellvape - The DIY atomizer leading brand
    itEoxSd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread