Helios on Apollo COMPETITION MOD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taok

Jan 5, 2016
Just want to know if my atomizer is authentic or clone
Cant seem to upload pics since it says the file is too large, but i have here links of the picture. Kindly check it out.

imageshack.us/i/p38OALZ8j
imageshack.us/i/pbwhY9uaj
imageshack.us/i/p87A9fKkj
imageshack.us/i/hl0Nya5Hj

Also i was already told that i cant do a dual coil on this because the pole in the middle is surrounded with plastic and therefore might melt if there are two coils. Dont know if its true or not, any feedback on that would be great.

Lastly, i have a 0.45 kanthal wire but i dont know how many loops should i put on it. To be safe i use only 3loops for now. If it depends on the battery then I have the Samsung 25r grinch battery. By the way. I used the atty on the APOLLO COMPETION mod TUBE on this.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
They have removed your links, so I can't see if your Helios is authentic or clone. I'm not sure I could tell by looking anyway. All drippers have some means of insulating the center, positive contact from the (negative) body. This is usually plastic, although ceramics have been used. Some plastics have a higher melt point than others; Delrin, which is the most common material, melts more easily than PEEK, which material is used in higher end toppers. What melts the insulator is heat, not number of coils. Heat is directly related to the number of watts applies to the coil(s), and isn't going to make any difference by how many coils there are. On a mechanical mod, the total watts is controlled by the total coil resistance, no matter how many coils there are. For a single coil, the resistance is the coil value. For duals (two identical coils) the resistance is half the total value of each coil; that is two 1-ohm coils in parallel give a total resistance of .5 ohms. The power, and therefore heat, is controlled by the total coil resistance under Ohm's Law, given on a mechanical battery voltage is (semi) fixed. For example, on a full charge battery at 4.2 volts, a .5 ohm coil system makes 35 watts; at half discharge of 3.7 volts it runs at 27 watts. The same two voltages on a .7 ohm coil will yield 25 and 19.5 watts respectively. Reference to the Ohm's Law Calculator will be of assistance here. Another point is a Helios does not breathe well enough for subohm coils. It will get air limited in the .8~.9 ohm range, and it does its best work in the 1.2~1.5 range. Finally, have a care with that Apollo. Mods with a faux hybrid top cap like that have a nasty habit of turning into a pipe bomb without warning.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
With that wire, and without knowing what size mandrel you are wrapping it on, my first and biggest concern is that you are most likely sitting somewhere around 0.2-0.3 ohms if you're only making 3 wraps. That's a lot of drain on your battery, and well below the ranges that @suprtrkr says is best for that atty. With a single coil and a 2mm mandrel, you'll need 12 wraps to get to 1 ohm.

Other than that, I'd say:
1. Get an ohm reader.
2. Learn more about battery safety.
3. Learn more about ohms law.
4. Stay safe and err on the side of caution... nobody wants to be a statistic!

We'll be more than happy to help you get where you want to be, Taok. Just be patient and take baby steps.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
"Lastly, i have a 0.45 kanthal wire but i dont know how many loops should i put on it. To be safe i use only 3loops for now."

!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? Do you have an idea of the resistance your even running? Or are you guessing.
Bad enough direct connect mods go bad. This type of rushing in just makes it even more dangerous.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I can't see the pictures so I cant say anything about them.

If you don't know how many 'loops' to use and remain safe and you don't have a way to measure resistance & check for shorts before firing on a mechanical, it isn't safe to use a mechanical/rba set up at all.

Using a fake/pseudo hybrid top cap mech you must use a delivery device that has a fixed center pin (not spring loaded) that protrudes from the base to prevent a direct short.
If yours isn't fixed and doesn't protrude, you should stop using it, it is not safe.

The Samsung INR 18650 25r is a good 20a CDR battery, but I don't know what you mean by "grinch battery".
Even a good battery can be dangerous if it is harvested from a power pack of some sort, pushed, shorted or used incorrectly.
If this is another harvested battery like all the others you've asked about previously, you need to stop using it, it is not safe.

I suggest getting / using a regulated power device while you gather the necessary equipment & knowledge to use a mechanical safely.

Reactions: Kaezziel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread