Heeeelp, gross aftertaste!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairoKura

Jul 14, 2017
I've been vaping for a couple months, currently I have a first Gen eGo Aio and a Smok V8 stick (running the .15ohm). Both of these are running different juices, Mod Fuel's Javelin (3mg) in the V8 and a local brew half mixed with vaping.com's Watermelon Strawberry flavor (0mg local 6mg watermelon strawberry ≈3mg overall).

For some reason, both sticks running different ohms, wattages, voltages, and juices are giving me the exact same horrifically disgusting aftertaste after a few hits. It's completely indescribable, but strong as hell.

This is a bit of an issue for me since I started vaping with nicotine and kinda can't go away for too long at a time without symptoms.... Halp

Reactions: ChelsB

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I've been vaping for a couple months, currently I have a first Gen eGo Aio and a Smok V8 stick (running the .15ohm). Both of these are running different juices, Mod Fuel's Javelin (3mg) in the V8 and a local brew half mixed with vaping.com's Watermelon Strawberry flavor (0mg local 6mg watermelon strawberry ≈3mg overall).

For some reason, both sticks running different ohms, wattages, voltages, and juices are giving me the exact same horrifically disgusting aftertaste after a few hits. It's completely indescribable, but strong as hell.

This is a bit of an issue for me since I started vaping with nicotine and kinda can't go away for too long at a time without symptoms.... Halp
Hi,
Have you cleaned the devices recently with ISO/Isopropyl alcohol?
Are the coil heads new?
Have you tasted the juice from the back of your hand or a finger?
Could an air freshener/cleaning product have been used around your devices that may have left a residue?

cheers
I

KairoKura

Jul 14, 2017
Hi,
Have you cleaned the devices recently with ISO/Isopropyl alcohol?
Are the coil heads new?
Have you tasted the juice from the back of your hand or a finger?
Could an air freshener/cleaning product have been used around your devices that may have left a residue?

cheers
I

My V8 (and it's coil) is brand new, only a couple days. My ego aio is older by a few months but it's well cleaned. Both juices taste and smell okay by themselves... I'm kinda out of ideas

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Strange for sure....... The only variables that can cause bad taste is the tank or the juice..... and the only things in a tank that can cause bad taste are the coils, wick, or a filthy tank.... Like @Izan pointed out, chemicals or other contaminants near your vape gear can cause problems..... Whenever I get bad tastes the first place I check is the wick as 9 times out of 10 that is always the problem........ If you think about it, there are not too many things that can alter the taste of a vape.... There is always talk around here of vapor's tongue although I have never experienced it.

KairoKura

Jul 14, 2017
    Strange for sure....... The only variables that can cause bad taste is the tank or the juice..... and the only things in a tank that can cause bad taste are the coils, wick, or a filthy tank.... Like @Izan pointed out, chemicals or other contaminants near your vape gear can cause problems..... Whenever I get bad tastes the first place I check is the wick as 9 times out of 10 that is always the problem........ If you think about it, there are not too many things that can alter the taste of a vape.... There is always talk around here of vapor's tongue although I have never experienced it.

I've seen another thread that mentioned vaper's tongue but I haven't been vaping for more than a month and a half, and I find it odd that both of my devices running different juices are causing the same result. Honestly I can get around it by exhaling through my nose but... it's still pretty annoying

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    I've seen another thread that mentioned vaper's tongue but I haven't been vaping for more than a month and a half, and I find it odd that both of my devices running different juices are causing the same result.

Ask yourself - When does vaper's tongue hit the worst?

1 month and a half is spot on the worst time for many people. Not all, but for sure... a lot....

Could be.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I've seen another thread that mentioned vaper's tongue but I haven't been vaping for more than a month and a half, and I find it odd that both of my devices running different juices are causing the same result. Honestly I can get around it by exhaling through my nose but... it's still pretty annoying

Since BOTH of your devices are exhibiting bad taste, then that is all the more reason to suspect vaper's tongue... If something was wrong with a coil/wick then just one of your devices would have poor taste.... You can also rule out the juice since you say it is fine.... The problem then seems to be with you.... in other words, you might have vaper's tongue ...

Aus11

Verified Member
    Jun 16, 2017
    Hollywood, FL
    Same here. None of the tips I've received work (vigorously brushing my tongue, pickle juice or lemon). Hopefully we'll find a solution here!

Another I heard was smelling strong coffee grounds because your sense if taste has quite a lot to do with smell. But it didnt work for me. Maybe itll help you haha.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    There are many reasons why you may be getting poor aftertaste, some of the reasons have been compiled below.
    Might like to read:
    http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
    Allergies, Conditions and E-Liquid - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
    Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
    How to adjust your base to reduce that peppery harsh Nicotine taste | E-Cigarette Forum

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    I have found that a citrus+menthol juice is pretty good at cleansing the palate. Or if you can find a very, very tart flavor that makes your mouth water a bit. Also you can cleanse your palate the old fashioned way with food and/or beverages. Some fresh lemonade with a real lemon and a small amount of your sweetener of choice may do the trick.

Reactions: Opinionated

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I've been vaping 3yrs & every so often none of my vapes make me happy. Usually goes away within a day or two. Common issue. As for vapor's tongue - I drink more water than I used to & it helps. I only use devices that lets me regulate watts, keeps my wicks cleaner if I can lower watts when chain vaping.

go_player

ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    I have been vaping for a year and I still really do not know how to fix vapers tongue.

I DIY, so I'm both susceptible to this (cause testing lots of flavors and overloading my nose) and equipped to deal with it. When I start having a hard time tasting things I just switch to unflavored juice, or FA Fuji mixed at 0.5% for a bit. Mmm- FA Fuji.

That said, the main reason people get vaper's tongue, I think, is because commercial juice is generally insanely over-flavored (and over-sweetened, though I don't know that that contributes to vaper's tongue.) That makes it taste good in the store when you first try it, especially if you're a recent or current smoker with a dull palate, but your nose can only take so much before it decides to shut down and stop smelling things. It's like how you can't smell yourself (which is why I take a shower at least once a month, whether I think I need it or not) or your house.

It's hard to talk about flavor percentages in juice, because different concentrates differ so much in strength. But a lot of commercial juices use TPA and FW flavors at like 20-30%. In contrast, the juice I am vaping right now is about 7% flavoring, 4% of it TFA Pear, and while it has a number of problems, weak flavor is not one of them. 4% TFA Pear turns out to be too much TFA Pear. I can see this recipe going somewhere, but unless I add another layer to it it will likely wind up at 4-5% flavoring, and have a strong flavor at that percentage.

I really think this is the main source of vaper's tongue. Most commercial juice uses flavors at _way_ higher concentrations than is sensible, and yeah, your sniffer _is_ going to shut off if you try to vape that many flavor molecules in one day.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I DIY, so I'm both susceptible to this (cause testing lots of flavors and overloading my nose) and equipped to deal with it. When I start having a hard time tasting things I just switch to unflavored juice, or FA Fuji mixed at 0.5% for a bit. Mmm- FA Fuji.

That said, the main reason people get vaper's tongue, I think, is because commercial juice is generally insanely over-flavored (and over-sweetened, though I don't know that that contributes to vaper's tongue.) That makes it taste good in the store when you first try it, especially if you're a recent or current smoker with a dull palate, but your nose can only take so much before it decides to shut down and stop smelling things. It's like how you can't smell yourself (which is why I take a shower at least once a month, whether I think I need it or not) or your house.

It's hard to talk about flavor percentages in juice, because different concentrates differ so much in strength. But a lot of commercial juices use TPA and FW flavors at like 20-30%. In contrast, the juice I am vaping right now is about 7% flavoring, 4% of it TFA Pear, and while it has a number of problems, weak flavor is not one of them. 4% TFA Pear turns out to be too much TFA Pear. I can see this recipe going somewhere, but unless I add another layer to it it will likely wind up at 4-5% flavoring, and have a strong flavor at that percentage.

I really think this is the main source of vaper's tongue. Most commercial juice uses flavors at _way_ higher concentrations than is sensible, and yeah, your sniffer _is_ going to shut off if you try to vape that many flavor molecules in one day.
    Try adding a little honeysuckle to pear. Sounds odd, but so delicious!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread