Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
'E-cigarettes

'E-cigarettes’ are not what you might think

Tuesday, October 4, 2011
(Updated 10:48 am)

Americans are inundated with hundreds of advertising messages daily. It is important that consumers be wary of product claims and take time to educate themselves before a purchase.

“E-cigarettes,” or “e-cigs,” are one such product currently advertised in our market. I would strongly caution, “Buyer beware!”

E-cigs deliver nicotine vapor, using a rechargeable, battery-operated heating element and a nicotine cartridge to mimic smoking. Some advertising claims that they are a safe alternative to smoking and that you can use them anywhere. Neither is true.

E-cigarettes are not regulated by the FDA due to a lack of scientific proof that they are either safe or effective. Moreover, although some may purchase them thinking that they can use them in areas where smoking is banned, that is increasingly impossible. Many public places have banned the use of e-cigarettes along with cigarettes due to safety concerns and the problems they can create in enforcing bans on cigarette smoking.

Many safe, effective, FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapies are available to assist a tobacco user to quit. As more public places become smoke-free, I urge using safe and approved cessation methods, and calling the N.C. Quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW.

Merle Green
Greensboro

The writer is Guilford County’s health director.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I called Ms. Green and told her that the hundreds of thousands of people who have quit with e-cigarettes would appreciate it if, in the future, she didn't mislead the people she serves. I explained the true reason for the lack of FDA regulation.

She clearly knew nothing about the topic, and our conversation was shorter than it took to write this.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I posted the following after the dullard copy and pasted his comments from the Boston globe article into this one.

Americans are inundated with hundreds of pharmaceutical advertising messages daily. It is important that consumers be wary of product claims and take time to educate themselves before a purchase.

Drug company NRT products are currently advertised in every market. I would strongly caution, “Buyer beware!”
These stop smoking products either deliver nicotine (with the same quantity of tsnas as electronic cigarettes or other drugs that are supposed to help smokers quit. Some advertising claims that they are a safe alternative to smoking but is this true.

Although regulated by the FDA they are neither safe nor particularly effective. Many NRT products have a 98% success rate at leading you back to smoking within two years while others have led to psychotic episodes leading to death for the user and others. In addition, some have been proven to lead to heart attacks, thinking that they can use them because they were claimed to be “safe and effective”.

The e-cigarette has been used globally for around four years with none of the health hazards seen with some of these FDA approved drugs. Some public places have banned the use of e-cigarettes along with cigarettes in an obvious move to protect the pharmaceutical industry’s interests. When the FDA lost their attempt to declare them as a drug and drug delivery device, the drug industry has back-doored regulations via health organizations to have them banned where smoking is banned.

Since all scientific evidence to date indicates that e-cigarettes are safer than smoking, as safe or safer than FDA approved NRT products and certainly as effective or more effective alternatives to smoking, these un-elected health departments have defied logic and passed regulations against e-cigarettes. The reasons used for their concerns have contained a lot of “mays” and “mights”. Not very scientific but science appears to left this station years ago.
Many FDA DECLARED “safe, effective, FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapies” are available to assist a cigarette smoker to quit and return to smoking in a never ending loop through life.

As more public places become smoke-free, I urge you to seek out the truth about smokeless alternatives that will keep you off cigarettes and out of the pockets of the pharma industry.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I figured out a way around E-man. I submittted a counterpoint Letter to the Editor. Keep fingers crossed for me. If it is not published by Friday, I will enter it as a Comment. I'm not posting it here because most papers don't want to publish anything that has been seen in print elsewhere.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I read it, and I have to wonder about the comments left by Electricman. It looks to me like he came over to this forum and copy/pasted thread titles from the health forum. Did he copy and paste ALL of his comments? There are terms in there (i.e. "vaping") that make me think he did. I can't help wondering why he bothered.

My guess is because he is more concerned about controlling the behavior of others than he is about whether they live or die. I think he would rather see us gasping for our last breath from a smoking-induced disease than allow us to feel comfortable and healthy as former smokers who are still "addicted" to nicotine delivered from a less hazardous source than smoking. :facepalm:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I read it, and I have to wonder about the comments left by Electricman. It looks to me like he came over to this forum and copy/pasted thread titles from the health forum. Did he copy and paste ALL of his comments? There are terms in there (i.e. "vaping") that make me think he did. I can't help wondering why he bothered.

You are correct. He trolls our posts and enters his venom as comments. I commented to his one liners-
“Itchy Skin, Rashes: I did some research on PG today, and found that in a small portion of the population, it can cause dermatitis. “

20% OF Americans suffer allergies, pollen and pets cause allergies, dust mites and molds cause allergies, peanuts and latex cause allergies, medications and fragrances cause allergies. See a doctor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Vaping...More harm then good? For me yes..Im done! Aside from the not being able to breath properly, i have experienced terrible muscle cramping, pain in my lower kidney area, as well as periodic hot flashes where my face feels like it is on fire! No, i havent gone to the doctor yet for the above.”

Problem was that the poster hadn’t gone to a doc. After many posts, the author finally came back, “The pain I was having in my "kidney" area, didnt go away, so i went to my doctor (as i said i would if these problems didnt subside) to have him check it out. It turnes out, I had a severley broken rib.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Pain in my throat & ear & heaviness in chest- I have been vaping now for ten months and love it. But recently my throat, left ear has been hurting. My chest feels heavy. -”

Smart, he/she went to the doctor and, “So I have a update, went to see my doctor and found out I had a ear infection. Everything else came out good. So I was so happy when I heard that, when the doctor left the room to get my script. I pulled out my Reo and started to vape. Ha-ha”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Joint pain?-- Anyone experiencing increased joint pain since beginning to vape? Just curious. –“

Author was vaping for 2-3 years and was just asking. Hadn’t come back to give the docs answer but his last post, “I'm going to get checked out by the doc but assume he won't have any info on PG or VG either. Also going to get checked for Lyme disease.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Tooth Decay- I went to the dentist yesterday, and he discovered that I had a small cavity on one of my molars. And I was only last at the dentist two months ago, about a month before I took up vaping. The last time I had a cavity was when I was a kid twenty eight years ago. I've always taken great care of my dental hygiene by brushing after every meal, aggressively flossing and using a non-alcohol based mouthwash.”

He asked the dentist and the possibility vaping caused the cavity and the response, “I asked him if my cavity may have been caused by the e-cig since I started using it a month ago, and he said that it'd take longer than a month for my type of cavity to form.”

Another poster in the thread, “My gumline improved slightly since I started vaping with no change to my dental habits (besides quitting smoking).” I personally have been told the same thing by my dentist.

A later post by the original poster, “Update
I had my teeth scaled by a dental technician the other day. She said that my gums have actually improved, likely because I'm avoiding mouth breathing. I showed her my e-cig and explained how it works. She thought it was an interesting device and didn't try to persuade me to stop using it”.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Anybody else feel like a guinea pig? How do we know it's safe?- E-smoking seems like a healthy alternative when compared to smoking analogs, however, there haven't been a lot of conclusive studies as to whether e-cigs are truly "safe." Since e-smoking is a relatively new thing, not enough time has passed to determine if there are long-term effects. Does anyone else here feel like a guinea pig?”

A reply to the post, “My uncle aka okie on the forum has been vaping for about three years. He was going to be put on ox in a few months. He swapped over to ecigs and his blood sat level has gone to 96%. His doctor was amazed. His doctor has tested and tested him and after three years his lungs have never been clearer and his health never better.”

And another post, “And as far as being a guinea pig, I'd rather that than the alternative, which is to possibly die of an analog-related disease while the government takes years and years to do its study. And you don't ever want to forget -- studies are no guarantee, either. A quick google yielded this information:

FDA-Approved Drugs withdrawn after deadly results

1. Posicor/mibefradil
2. Duract/bromfenac
3. Hismanal/astemizole
4. Raxar/grepafloxacin
5. Rezulin/troglitazone
6. Propulsid/cisapride
7. Lotronex/alosetron
8. Raplon/rapacuronium bromide
9. Baycol/cerivastatin
10. Vioxx / rofecoxib”

Phen fen could be added to that list as well as many others over the years. Perhaps Chantix also should with murder, suicide and heart attacks associated with its use.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could go through the posters complete list and the bottom line would be that the author picked out words to dramatize his anti-smoking/tobacco/nicotine agenda rhetoric. The facts are that after over 4 years on the market, the studies that have come out are overwhelmingly positive in terms of the vaper’s health and the potential for danger from the exhaled vapor. There is little doubt that e-cigarettes are much safer than smoking, despite the unfounded rhetoric of the poster.

andylcq

Moved On
Aug 22, 2011
NY
chapovegas.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: spam

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
I called Ms. Green and told her that the hundreds of thousands of people who have quit with e-cigarettes would appreciate it if, in the future, she didn't mislead the people she serves. I explained the true reason for the lack of FDA regulation.

She clearly knew nothing about the topic, and our conversation was shorter than it took to write this.

Thats awesome, I think her phone should blow up :) Might have to make a call today @ lunch for giggles.... see if I can have a shorter conversation than you :D

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jumped in and left this comment:

It is very true that consumers should take time to educate themselves before a purchase. When watching the commercials for Chantix, pay close attention to the warnings. Chantix has been linked to suicidal thinking, completed suicides, violent behavior, severe depression, and recently to increased risk of being hospitalized for a heart attack or serious heart problem.

Is a 14% success rate for smoking cessation worth risking your life?

E-cigarettes have been sold in the US since 2007 and have not been linked to any serious adverse events whatsoever. Side effects reported to the FDA are similar to the side effects reported for FDA-approved nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, and inhalers. E-cigarettes cannot be regulated by the FDA as drugs because they are not marketed as a treatment for disease. They are marketed as an alternative to smoking real cigarettes, and the FDA may regulate them as tobacco products.

Many smokers are unable to stop because they are dependent on the beneficial effects of nicotine to ward off depression and to improve the ability to pay attention, concentrate, and remember. When these smokers use the FDA nicotine products as directed (to wean down and off nicotine), when treatment ends they have problems driving a car safely and taking care of their responsibilities without making mistakes. That’s probably why these products have success rates ranging from 2% to 7%.

E-cigarettes provide the nicotine they need without the tar, carbon monoxide, particulates, and thousands of toxic chemicals created by the process of combustion. These elements are not present in vapor because nothing is burned in an e-cigarette. These elements cause up to 99% of the cancers, heart attacks, strokes, and lung disease that are smoking-related.

Clinical trials are showing that e-cigarettes relieve the troubling "withdrawal symptoms" without elevating heart rate or blood pressure. The largest population survey of e-cigarette consumers shows that 77% of daily users no longer smoke and that those who still smoke have reduced their cigarettes per day from 25 to 15. Over 90% of users are reporting their health has improved since they since they switched from smoke to vapor.

So yes, consumers, do your research and choose wisely if you are a smoker who has not been able to quit and who doesn't want to develop a smoking-related disease. Any smoke-free alternative source of nicotine may help keep you functional while avoiding the disease-causing elements in smoke.

NOTE: This is not the text of my counterpoint Letter to the Editor

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
Jumped in and left this comment:

NOTE: This is not the text of my counterpoint Letter to the Editor

Not just that, but you are free to step down at your own pace... on your own terms. I started on 24mg liquid, and am now down to 12mg. My next step will be 6... If and when I finally get to 0... I might stop my Pv usage, I might not. But its my choice, and to date, the only damn thing I've tried that actually works and moreover…. IT MY LIFE, MY HEALTH THANK YOU.

Replace the eGo logo on your battery, or your Riva logo... whatever... add a J&J logo on the side... and if this were the case from the very start... all controversy on the matter would be mute. Vape away... work, car, who cares. WHO all aboard! ALA all aboard! "Save face public, we've prevented a terrible evil... all praise gov't intervention..."

I mean honestly, why do you think they wanted them to be drug delivery devices? So BP could snatch em up w/o absolutely 0 effort, work, or creativeness and all w/ big brother backing him 100% capturing ALL sales taxes royalties and rights...

Sorta how once upon a time ISP's were a dime a dozen... And now there really are pretty much two. Under the guise of choise... pick... comcast or verizon. Both Pawns to Big brother in the end. Same principal... Smoke, or take our drugs medication. See! Choice. Or at least the illusion of choice.

I want REAL choice... and honesty. But considering this is government were talking about I expect neither... except more taxes to line fat wallets in those who simply don't care about anything besides profit.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Well, I don't see my Counterpoint Letter to the Editor published, and comments are closed. For what it is worth, here is what I wrote. Maybe I'll tweak it a little and send directly to Ms. Greene:

In "E-cigarettes are not what you think" (Oct 4) Guilford County’s health director Merle Green appears to be confused about the purpose of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes). E-cigarettes are a substitute for inhaling deadly tobacco cigarette smoke, not a drug. The FDA attempted to regulate them as medications, but the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled against this.

Noting that the Agency failed to present any evidence that the products have harmed anyone, the court stated that if vendors do not claim that the products are intended to treat or cure a disease, the FDA may only regulate them as tobacco products under the 2009 Tobacco Control Act.

The purpose of FDA-approved nicotine medications (NRT) is to wean smokers down and off nicotine. A comprehensive review of NRT success rates showed that 93% of users have relapsed to smoking at 6 months, escalating to 95% at one year, and 98% at 20 months. So NRTs, touted as “effective,” only work for 2% of users.

The other two cessation products, Zyban and Chantix, are slightly more effective, with success rates as high as 14% at 6 months. However, both products are linked to depression and suicides. Chantix recently was reported to increase hospitalization for heart attacks or serious heart problems by 72%. E-cigarettes are not linked to any serious adverse events.

In the May 18, 2011 issue of the scientific journal Addiction, researchers JF Etter and C Bullen published the results of a survey of over 3,000 e-cigarette consumers. They reported that 77% of daily users no longer smoke and those who still smoke reduced their consumption from 25 cigarettes per day to 15. If the goal is to achieve abstinence from smoking, e-cigarettes are a much more effective option, and much less hazardous.

Elaine Keller, Vice President
The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA)

MidnighToker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
NC
I just saw this thread yesterday and obviously it was too late to comment on the original letter so I wrote my own counterpoint to it. Just received a call that they are going to be publishing it. I will keep you posted when it's published.

My letter (unfortunately they limit to 200 words):
Are our public officials/agencies more concerned with our health or revenue?

I've seen repeated articles from public officials and government agencies consistently discourage the use of "e-cigarettes". Their stance always seems to be that there is no research proving their safety. But there is. Just none that wish to acknowledge.

The FDA performed tests in attempted support of their ban of electronic cigarettes in 2009. Why don't they use this test as evidence that they are not "safe"? Possibly because the Federal Court ruled, after multiple appeals, against them (Civil Case 09-771). Why have they not performed further testing if they truly believe that they are such a danger?

To date, there have been zero "e-cigarette" related deaths or major health issues reported, despite over one-million users worldwide. The drug Chantix alone has been tied directly to hundreds if not thousands of cases of suicide, diabetes, random violence, and murder. The exact number is unknown because Pfizer, the manufacturer of the drug, apparentlly failed to correctly report cases dating back as far as 2006. And still they recommend this over "e-cigarettes"?

Are they looking out for our best interest or simply protecting their income from the tobacco and pharmaceutical industries?

MidnighToker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
NC
Well the good news is that it was published....the bad its that they published it on the weekend where for some reason comments are not allowed. Just a bit ...... about that part.

Oh well at least I got the word out in some way. Hoping someone will counter so that comments will be allowed.

I'll still post the link when I get home.

And as was requested on other forums, anyone that wishes to use that letter to submit to their local paper is welcome to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread