• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Great Wood Bottom Feeder in Canada!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
Just wanted to share this tidbit for all you bottom-feeder lovers like me. Made a fantastic find at the Gentlemen's Reserve site the other week and finally have one of these babies in my hands. If you have been looking for a beautifully crafted, wooden bottom feeding box mod, Daniel has them! I am lame with taking pictures but the ones Daniel has on his website show them beautifully anyway. One model is the Du Bocage and here is a link to a review on You Tube on that one ...Du Bocage "tradition" by kazulinhomods.com - YouTube I got the other model, the Minotaur because I don't have a kick and don't intend to get one so that wasn't a factor (the Du Bocage allows for a kick to be installed). I was intrigued by the use of magnets for the battery connection instead of a spring. I do like things as simple as possible though. This Minotaur is working exactly as I anticipated it would and there is even a little extra tiny 'spacer' magnet in case you need it. Discovered how handy that is as I have two Efest 18650's and two AWR's and the AWR's are just ever so slightly shorter. So I just add the spacer to the bottom magnet and ... Bob's yer uncle. Vape heaven!

Anyway, if you are thinking of getting another bottom feeder or getting into the wonderful world of same, you really need to check these out. The pricing is really excellent for a mod of this quality! As far as I can see, Daniel is the only vendor in Canada selling these. In case you are wondering, the magnets are super strong. Four hold the sideways sliding door and I have tried dislodging the battery by shaking it upside down and it wasn't going anywhere. Nice deep juice well, too, so that you don't get juice running down your mod and hand when you over-squonk either!

Here is the oh-so-convenient link to see the pictures of these for yourself ... here - make sure you enlarge the pictures for the best view.

Last edited:

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
Well worth saving up for! Been using this exclusively for the last couple of days now and still loving it. It took a little getting used to the size as it is bigger than my Reo Grande. One thing I will be doing is buying a couple of new batteries (need them anyway) that are flat top, not the nipple top ones I have now. I think that top magnet would sit better on a flat top. Still makes contact with no problem but, because it is a flat surface against a raised nipple, it does wobble a bit. A flat top battery would fix that.

Something I have noticed that is particularly neat is that the juice well has two distinct grooves in it leading to the atty connection. In real terms this means that when you do over-squonk, the juice that lands up in the well actually does migrate to the atty. It is much more efficient at moving the juice back down to the atty than my Reo is. All in all, I am loving this mod!

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
What atty do you use Fisher? I'm very uneducated about bottom-feeders and I'm wondering if you can modify a regular dripper? Say like an Igo-L?

I wish I was technologically advanced enough to answer your question! I use the atties that I bought to go with my VModXL last year. Have found them to be the best atty for bottom feeding (without getting into the whole RBA scene - and I don't want to go that route). Fortunately Mad Vapers also sells them. I'll post a link to them at the end of this post. I am one of those people that just wants the simplest solution so I pop a new one on my mod at the beginning of every month and then just vape away - no cleaning, no burning off the coils - nothing. It really would go more than a month (and I've done that when I found myself short) but I just like to treat myself to a fresh one at the beginning of each month. They run about $10 a piece which some people would say was expensive but they were designed for bottom feeders and they work like a hot damn.= IMHO. Figure ... hell ... that's one pack of smokes for a whole month's worth of vaping. Works for me!

You can find them here I get the 1.5 ohm ones.

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
Here are a few bottom-feeding RBA's. I have the M6 and it's working all right.

reomizer 2.0 rba

The RM 2 rba paired with a Reo Grand is an absolute great vape.

BTW, those new bottom feeding box mods remind of my Ali'i, which is now a jigsaw puzzle and needs to be repaired. The Du Bocage & Minotaur do look stronger at a very competitive price.

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
Would recommend the Du Bocage as it is capable of handling a kick as well.

Plus ... I have already toasted my Minotaur. :( Had it in my purse, it fell over sideways and somehow the magnetic firing button got pushed up against something. By the time I got home and pulled it out, the switch had popped off and was screaming hot. Which is a death knell for magnets. So ... now I have a very beautiful wooden box ... Word of advice ... when carrying it around, pop the switch off so this doesn't happen to you. Sigh ... and I so loved how it vaped!

Last edited:

A17kawboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2012
Northern BC, Canada
Would recommend the Du Bocage as it is capable of handling a kick as well.

Plus ... I have already toasted my Minotaur. :( Had it in my purse, it fell over sideways and somehow the magnetic firing button got pushed up against something. By the time I got home and pulled it out, the switch had popped off and was screaming hot. Which is a death knell for magnets. So ... now I have a very beautiful wooden box ... Word of advice ... when carrying it around, pop the switch off so this doesn't happen to you. Sigh ... and I so loved how it vaped!

Very sorry to hear that FP. Any idea how their CS is? Think you will be able to have it repaired? Or at least purchase the parts to get it fixed yourself?

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
Not sure what I'll do actually. It would be a real easy mod for someone who knows what they are doing. Simply wire in a regular switch and you're done. Unfortunately ... I know nothing about that kind of thing. I may land up trying to sell it for someone who does know how to install a simple switch mechanism.

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
I actually found a possible solution. The epipe mods use a magnetic switch that appears that it will be an exact fit. Have one on order now and should get it next week. If that is the case, then my worries are over. Just have to remember to pop the switch OFF the mod when carrying it in my purse after this. Guess that's what the little black bag was for. Will update once it arrives in case anyone else is interested but put off by my mishap. It really is a beautiful wood mod. It is also about a third bigger than a Reo and these 60 yr old hands were finding it a bit difficult to handle. But it sure delivers juice to the atty like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread