good starting mods for cloud chasing and RDA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celbrise

Sep 25, 2016
just got back into vaping and i used to be a flavor chaser nothing too hard in that department imo but i found myself starting back on cigs because it got pricey to buy juice after failing at DIY and lack of throat hit that i liked even at a higher nic. 3 to 6 is a huge jump for me and 6mg is way to harsh for me yet i still went through 120ml in a week or less.

anyways im looking to get into cloud chasing and was wondering.

1. what is a good starting mod for cloud chasing? im not going to be doing competitions just want massive clouds. got a fuchai 213 right now but idk i don't feel like it can handle the job and im just looking for a new mod in general. i prefer a box mod and regulated but i see so many people using unregulated mods for cloud chasing. any huge difference between the two for this job?

2. What RDA would you consider for the job? got a Velocity clone by tobecco it's good i enjoy it but again looking for alternative.

3. what types of coils would you recommend? i usually roll my own but there nothing amazing just regular standard coils. don't have the tools to make fancy ones so i will be just buying pre made ones for now until i get more experienced to make my own.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The mod isn't going to effect the size of cloud really it's the tank and coil. As long as the mod can do the higher wattage of course such as your 213. The smok tfv12 beast tank with the v12-t12 coils should give you the clouds you want. Any mod that can do 200 watts should suffice.

Reactions: Eskie

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
just got back into vaping and i used to be a flavor chaser nothing too hard in that department imo but i found myself starting back on cigs because it got pricey to buy juice after failing at DIY and lack of throat hit that i liked even at a higher nic. 3 to 6 is a huge jump for me and 6mg is way to harsh for me yet i still went through 120ml in a week or less.

anyways im looking to get into cloud chasing and was wondering.

1. what is a good starting mod for cloud chasing? im not going to be doing competitions just want massive clouds. got a fuchai 213 right now but idk i don't feel like it can handle the job and im just looking for a new mod in general. i prefer a box mod and regulated but i see so many people using unregulated mods for cloud chasing. any huge difference between the two for this job?

2. What RDA would you consider for the job? got a Velocity clone by tobecco it's good i enjoy it but again looking for alternative.

3. what types of coils would you recommend? i usually roll my own but there nothing amazing just regular standard coils. don't have the tools to make fancy ones so i will be just buying pre made ones for now until i get more experienced to make my own.

The mod only has to put out the power you're looking for. I don't cloud chase, but I believe 200 watts is more than enough.

For RDA's, check out this thread in the cloud chasers subforum. Those guys probably know a thing or two about this stuff :). The thread is closed, but you can still read the posts.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
For clouds you want LOTS of surface area and LOTS of airflow. The bigger the mass of the coil, the more wattage it will need to heat up, the more metal you have heating up the hotter the vape will feel and you will need more air to keep it at a reasonable enough temp.

Im also wondering why you want to cloud chase considering you will blow through juice. I am not a cloud chaser by any means but I get a decent sized cloud none the less and I go through anywhere from 15-30 mls of juice a day(yes I am a chain vaper most of the time ;) )

Celbrise

Sep 25, 2016
yea sorry my knowledge of vaping is pretty much gone. it's been way too long since i last vaped. as for wanting to go for cloud chasing i want to experiment if a larger amount of vapor when inhaling will compensate for that throat hit. i enjoy the throat hit from a cig but when i vape 6mg it's way too harsh for me and when i vape 3mg it's just right or imo still to little thus why i vape so much just in just a week from my experiences. i do plan to get back into DIY juicing for cost effectiveness. i even have tried high pg juices it didn't help.

and yes 15-30mls a day as well i chain vape almost all day long except when i am sleeping or working. only way to slow it down was to get higher nic juices which almost makes me not want to vape and smoke a cig instead as well.

i ended up buying the smok alien mod after looking at a couple reviews wanted to see if it was anything amazing as well as better batteries and going to try out the baby beast. going to test it out when i get it sadly it was hard just to buy websites kept declining my age and asking for ssn or a photo of my id i guess these new laws hit hard lol.

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
For clouds you want LOTS of surface area and LOTS of airflow.

Behave...and set that into reality...it's odd!

Not as: "More water makes you more drowning!"

1st: Learn about the heat flux.

2nd: Learn about the material (in this case: Liquid!), You are using.

The wire material affects the results also...maybe very much. For straight results use Kanthal...or NiChrome, nothing else. Nothing with a positive temperature coefficient that is noteworthy!!!

And...that is my own experience...very astonishing after nearly millions of builds: Make parallel builds...if You want and are able to do this, with 3 strands...

Not the easyest...but: Was zählt ist, was hinten rauskommt!

Helmut Kohl.
sarcastic.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth Omerta

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
Sounds like you got a pretty good set up as it is. Everyone has different opinions on mods and RDA's, but these days almost all regulated mods are 200+ watts which is overkill if you're at 150-200 watts.

RDA's are the way to go if you're into flavor chasing and cloud chasing as well. The Smok TFV4, 8 and 12 are great tanks that produce big clouds, but the way you go through juice, you're probably gonna spend a lot of money buying replacement coils. You can buy really cool coils on line for cheap and with an RDA all you have to do is clean your coils and replace the cotton every couple days and your coils should last a couple months.

It sounds like your guzzling down juice and that can cost a lot these days with some juices going for $22-$25 for 30ml. Check out Mech Sauce for some cheap (and good) juice. Their 120 ml bottles cost around $30 with shipping so that should save you some money.

As far as having that perfect juice with a perfect throat hit, well that's trial and error because not all nicotines are created equal. Some 3mg taste like 6's and some taste like 1's. That my friend is the juice journey you have to take on your own.
Hope that helps you some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
yea sorry my knowledge of vaping is pretty much gone. it's been way too long since i last vaped. as for wanting to go for cloud chasing i want to experiment if a larger amount of vapor when inhaling will compensate for that throat hit. i enjoy the throat hit from a cig but when i vape 6mg it's way too harsh for me and when i vape 3mg it's just right or imo still to little thus why i vape so much just in just a week from my experiences. i do plan to get back into DIY juicing for cost effectiveness. i even have tried high pg juices it didn't help.

and yes 15-30mls a day as well i chain vape almost all day long except when i am sleeping or working. only way to slow it down was to get higher nic juices which almost makes me not want to vape and smoke a cig instead as well.

i ended up buying the smok alien mod after looking at a couple reviews wanted to see if it was anything amazing as well as better batteries and going to try out the baby beast. going to test it out when i get it sadly it was hard just to buy websites kept declining my age and asking for ssn or a photo of my id i guess these new laws hit hard lol.

I don't think you're really interested in what I consider 'cloud chasing'. To me that implies getting most of your vape pleasure from the visual of exhaling a lot of vapor. IMO you are just trying to find a vape experience that 'does it' for you, whatever that turns out to be, and it may very well not depend much on vapor production.

I don't vape a lot of nic but I like throat hit. That's tough, because as I think you know nic is the best/easiest way to get TH. As has been said, not all nic is created equal. I make my juice and I buy the dirtiest, yellowest, most vile nic I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything that is 'bad' enough to satisfy me by itself and I'm now thinking seriously of experimenting with 'aging' my nic so it becomes more 'tasty' and ups the TH :rolleyes:. I know ... I'm weird.

I used to go for more power, 40-50 watts, and higher heat flux to give me a warmer and more harsh vape. Lately I've been finding I can do better with less power and use less juice by using the right atties, the right nic levels and almost 100% PG. It makes for minimal vapor, but I really don't care about that and it's been working well for me. At 20 watts using 1.8 mg juice in a Rose V3 or Augvape Merlin tank I'm a happy camper. When I vape no-nic juice I set up (different coil design) for around 35 warm watts. If I up the nic to 2.5 mg I'm good at around 15 watts.

There are a lot of ways to get a good vape. If your nic level is a bit low for your vape you can effectively raise it by increasing your watts. A bit high and the opposite works. Also, you're buying ready made juice, you can fine tune the nic content by mixing different amounts of 3 mg and 6 mg juice to make any mg you want between those numbers. For example, to make 4 mg juice out of the two, you mix twice the amount of 3 mg with the 6 mg ... So, 6 ml of 3 mg added to 3 ml of 6 mg juice gives you 9 ml of 4 mg juice.

You can also help yourself reduce the amount you vape by putting your vape in another room so you have to go get it. The only problem with that is then you have to put it back when you're done with the vape session :eek:

Best of luck with it Celbrise :thumb:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I don't think you're really interested in what I consider 'cloud chasing'. To me that implies getting most of your vape pleasure from the visual of exhaling a lot of vapor. IMO you are just trying to find a vape experience that 'does it' for you, whatever that turns out to be, and it may very well not depend much on vapor production.

I don't vape a lot of nic but I like throat hit. That's tough, because as I think you know nic is the best/easiest way to get TH. As has been said, not all nic is created equal. I make my juice and I buy the dirtiest, yellowest, most vile nic I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything that is 'bad' enough to satisfy me by itself and I'm now thinking seriously of experimenting with 'aging' my nic so it becomes more 'tasty' and ups the TH :rolleyes:. I know ... I'm weird.

I used to go for more power, 40-50 watts, and higher heat flux to give me a warmer and more harsh vape. Lately I've been finding I can do better with less power and use less juice by using the right atties, the right nic levels and almost 100% PG. It makes for minimal vapor, but I really don't care about that and it's been working well for me. At 20 watts using 1.8 mg juice in a Rose V3 or Augvape Merlin tank I'm a happy camper. When I vape no-nic juice I set up (different coil design) for around 35 warm watts. If I up the nic to 2.5 mg I'm good at around 15 watts.

There are a lot of ways to get a good vape. If your nic level is a bit low for your vape you can effectively raise it by increasing your watts. A bit high and the opposite works. Also, you're buying ready made juice, you can fine tune the nic content by mixing different amounts of 3 mg and 6 mg juice to make any mg you want between those numbers. For example, to make 4 mg juice out of the two, you mix twice the amount of 3 mg with the 6 mg ... So, 6 ml of 3 mg added to 3 ml of 6 mg juice gives you 9 ml of 4 mg juice.

You can also help yourself reduce the amount you vape by putting your vape in another room so you have to go get it. The only problem with that is then you have to put it back when you're done with the vape session :eek:

Best of luck with it Celbrise :thumb:
Wizard labs might be able to set you up!o_O

Celbrise

Sep 25, 2016
thanks for all the replies i just bought some pre rolled claptons and yea they are chucking nice clouds with max vg. i guess it's my coil builds that were lacking badly. yea i also was using wizard labs it's just that the flavors i bought when i started were horrible it was like cotton candy and apple crumble. i am going to try some drink flavors im currently taking a liking to grape juice.

does anyone know if it is possible to make claptons/alien coils without a drill? i don't own one and don't really want to buy one even if it's cheap just to make these coils seems like a rather money sink over buying pre rolled ones for cheaper but idk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wizard labs might be able to set you up!o_O

I hear ya Asbestos, but I'm in Canada and getting it through customs can be a challenge. I haven't bought anything with nic in it from anywhere but here since late 2012.

And the supplier up here who has the best prices advertises their nic as really clean, flavorless with minimal TH. Go figure
dash1.gif

Reactions: Asbestos4004

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I hear ya Asbestos, but I'm in Canada and getting it through customs can be a challenge. I haven't bought anything with nic in it from anywhere but here since late 2012.

And the supplier up here who has the best prices advertises their nic as really clean, flavorless with minimal TH. Go figure
dash1.gif

Where do you get yours?
Ive been getting mine from East Coast Vape in Fredericton NB. Its clear and seems pretty clean and has a decent TH. Unfortunately its only 50mg/ml and costs about $27 for 100ml. Ive been looking in to ordering some Nic select 48mg from Dashvapes but if its not going to be clean then I hardly see how its worth the wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread