Not open for further replies.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Short version:
What are the best batteries for a Mech mod? (Sony VTC5s?)
Where can I buy Genuine {best batteries} that have them in stock for a reasonable price?

Long Version:
I need a good quality 18650 battery for my 4nine clone and Hana Clone (Cloupor).
Currently I have vtc5s, but 3 is not enough!

I've checked several online shops and apparently there was a run on vtc5's lol.
RTD Vapor
Illumn
Sun Vapors

Then I ran across this:
In Stock genuine high discharge rate rechargeable cylindrical 18650 Li-Ion Cells Sony, LG from PowerStream; 18650HE2, US18650VCT4, US18650VCT5, VTC4, VTC5
I thought VTC5's where 30amp battery, why does this say sony only supply discharge curves for 20amp?
and then there is this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/2cttd4/sony_vtc5_18650_notice_from_sony/

VTC5's seem to be the best battery on the market for vaping with 18650s... which is probably why they are out of stock.
Are there any other comparable batteries, or other vendors with DECENT priced GENUINE VTC5s ($10-13)?
I'm looking to buy 6 - a buddy needs a few too.

Also, what is the low end voltage we should be using our batteries down to? I know they are rated at around 3.7v, it seems like most regulated mods give you the battery low indicator at 3.3-3.5v.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
IMR batteries can survive as low as 2.5V (unlike ICR batteries), but below 3.3V there is not much juice left in the battery anyway, and the less you strain them the longer they'll live. Not draining them past 3.3V is a good rule of thumb.

Thanks! No thoughts on best batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If I'm not mistaken, the 4Nine mod requires "button top" batteries (?). That would eliminate the Sony VTC batteries which only come flat-top.

AW and Orbtonic make excellent button-top batteries. Just make sure that you use them within their amp limits.

IMR batteries can be drained down to 3.4 volts safely. IMR/hybrid batteries can be drained down to 2.5 volts, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
If I'm not mistaken, the 4Nine mod requires "button top" batteries (?). That would eliminate the Sony VTC batteries which only come flat-top.

AW and Orbtonic make excellent button-top batteries. Just make sure that you use them within their amp limits.

IMR batteries can be drained down to 3.4 volts safely. IMR/hybrid batteries can be drained down to 2.5 volts, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries
The flat tops I have work fine. The hybrid top cap has a delryn insulator, and it works fine with the attys I'm using. I double checked the atty with the top cap of the mod screwed on to make sure it made connection and wouldn't short.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I build above .3, usually between .5-.8 is where my dual coil builds clock in. My singles are usually around 1.1-1.4 ( I do single or dual... No quads).

With that I'm pulling at most 14amps, so I guess I could use a 20amp batter and still have clearance...
I guess I just wait until they are back in stock and not use my mech so much :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread