Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Just a few minutes ago I spoke with Tom, the Owner of Capella's Flavoring, in regards to whether or not Acetoin and Acetyl Proprionyl was present in some of their flavors and let him know of my concern since, as vapers, we're vaping to get away from potentially toxic chemicals; chemicals that we couldn't avoid in tobacco cigarettes. He provided me with some very interesting information during our conversation, so I wanted to drop in and share it with everyone as it represents a big move for them and for those of us who use them to flavor our e-liquids.

First off, he gave me the go-ahead to share this info now. Second, part of the information is a result of testing that Capella's is doing right this very moment. Third, this is a lot of information, so I'll apologize upfront for length, but I wanted to get it all out there. Grab a cup of coffee :).

1). For those worried about whether or not Diacetyl is in their flavors, he said he would be more than happy to provide a signed statement confirming that Diacetyl is in fact not present in any of their flavors. They have done GC/MS testing on their flavors and can provide a report showcasing this on request for those concerned (similar to the one I posted for their Vanilla Custard). He said he was more than happy to do this as he understands the cause for concern.

2). Acetyl Proprionyl is in certain flavors, like the Vanilla Custard flavoring, but for those concerned, they are doing testing on % mixes at 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% and 30% to confirm the levels in the final product (i.e. meaning, a mixed e-liquid using PG and VG) and they plan on reporting said information. This means we'll be able to make a truly informed decision and we'll have a general idea of how much of the chemical will be present. I don't have a finite date on when it'll be done, but he said very soon - so I'd imagine a few months at most, a few weeks at the least. Since these flavors are used in other industries, they won't be removing it from the existing line, but.....

3). They will be soon catering to us as they are working on 7 brand new flavors, none of which contain Acetoin or Acetyl Proprionyl, and one of them is a Tobacco flavor which has supposedly been so well received that certain vendors were asking to buy it by the gallon during the blind testing. He further mentioned that they will be developing a "Version 2" of some of their more popular flavors, such as Vanilla Custard, that doesn't contain Acetoin or Acetyl Proprionyl. They'll be labeling each accordingly so we can tell the difference between the two versions.

4). They, as a company, are happy to work with AEMSA to make sure that the flavorings we use to vape are as safe as can be. That alone is a big step in the right direction and one I'm happy to hear as AEMSA is one organization on our side of the battle and one group that we need to pay attention to.

Link to AEMSA: AEMSA | American E-Liquid Manufacturing Standards Association

That all being said, for those vaping Vanilla Custard, French Vanilla and other buttery flavors, Tom said that mixes that range from 5-8% flavoring to a bottle of e-liquid are in the Parts Per Billion range in terms of how much Acetyl Proprionyl is present. They're doing final testing on 10%-30% mixes and putting them through GC/MS testing, but he wanted to make it clear that it's not a concentrated dose and it's not as if you were vaping the chemical itself in it's non-diluted form.

He, like myself, also noted that many vendors are testing the flavoring itself, not the final product, which is what's actually important since that's what we're vaping; we're not vaping the flavoring straight and flavoring in general isn't meant to be used like that. He used Fluoride as an example chemical. On it's own, Fluoride is toxic and can easily kill you if ingested in its undiluted form. Yet, when it's diluted down to certain levels, it's safe and added to the water that many of us drink daily.

He said he'd have more information on what's going on in the upcoming weeks, so any information I can get, I'll definitely pass on.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
It is nice to see some of the liquid/flavoring vendors jumping the gun on the harmful chemical issue. If and when the FDA usurps control these items can just fly through. That is unless the FDA decides to deliberate on submissions as a way of keeping liquids off the market. Would you be surprised?

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
It is nice to see some of the liquid/flavoring vendors jumping the gun on the harmful chemical issue. If and when the FDA usurps control these items can just fly through. That is unless the FDA decides to deliberate on submissions as a way of keeping liquids off the market. Would you be surprised?

If vendors have to submit every single flavor they release to the FDA, there's going to be an uproar. I'm thinking of Mt Baker Vapor and other similar sized vendors with 100+ flavors specifically. If vendors agree to not add crap additives to their e-liquids (no-one specific, just in general) and flavor vendors are doing their part to be informative and provide detailed specifics, I think we're okay on our own. We don't need the FDA butting in or regulating.

It only takes a little control and then, they'll start reaching for more and more and more. We don't need to give them any control, we simply need to make GC/MS testing more affordable to the masses. If we could find a way to reduce the cost of testing to where small vendors could do what larger ones can, I think we'd be a-okay on our own.

Interesting read and very informative. Please keep us informed of any developments.

Will do, Danny!

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Thanks for that Tactical! This is really excellent. It seemed that not so long ago, within a year, flavor suppliers had an almost don't-know-don't-care attitude towards us and vaping in general as we weren't their main market with 'use at your own risk' disclaimers.
Great to see a company take a stance on this and recognize we are doing this for our health.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Thanks for that Tactical! This is really excellent. It seemed that not so long ago, within a year, flavor suppliers had an almost don't-know-don't-care attitude towards us and vaping in general as we weren't their main market with 'use at your own risk' disclaimers.
Great to see a company take a stance on this and recognize we are doing this for our health.

No problem. I wasn't really expecting much when I first sent in my inquiry due to the way some vendors respond, or don't :). When he opted to call instead of write a short e-mail, I knew there would be more to the conversation than a one-off line of "it's not our problem" or "we're not changing anything." His openness and willingness to listen and also provide a ton of information on what isn't public just yet makes me more confident in using their flavorings.

I've never seen a major issue vaping flavors with Acetoin or AP in them for the same reasons he mentioned (i.e. the very very small PPM/PPB in the final mix), but for those that do have a problem with it and for those that have a stronger irritation to the chemicals, this will be a major step in the right direction, not to mention we're going to see even more flavors coming to the market from them.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Many thanks for the write-up! I've been using Capella flavourings for about 6 months—Vanilla Custard, French Vanilla, and Graham Cracker—and I'm VERY interested in the new versions without the Acetoin or AP in them. Also, the new tobacco flavour will be on my must-try list. Thanks again for this very encouraging information! :)

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Many thanks for the write-up! I've been using Capella flavourings for about 6 months—Vanilla Custard, French Vanilla, and Graham Cracker—and I'm VERY interested in the new versions without the Acetoin or AP in them. Also, the new tobacco flavour will be on my must-try list. Thanks again for this very encouraging information! :)

Supposedly the tobacco is top-notch. I'm a big fan of 7 Leaves from FlavourArt, so if it's comparable or better, it'll probably be my go to from here on. I tried about two-dozen tobacco flavors and none of them worked well for my needs, but the 7 Leaves just worked. I didn't even vape it straight before I mixed it (a big no-no most of the time), but the first try was close, the second was perfect. I'm hoping theirs is up there next to it :).

SueandCootie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2009
south central Mass
Some years back when I first joined here some of us were buying their flavorings for DIY and I ended up contacting them about a flavor...it appeared that they had no idea up until my email that vaping even existed, let alone that we were using their flavorings for ecig juice; I explained the basics as I recall. Nice to see them working with our community!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread