Glass Tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightypirate

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
virginia
So I'd like to step up from my polypropelyne tanks. I've found good prices on pyrex tubing, but can't seem to find a reliable way to accurately cut glass tubing. I don't think scoring it and then snapping it will work to well with such short lengths. The best thing I seem to hand found so far is the squeeze and pop cutters some places sell. Not sure how accurate they'd be since its a fairly wide chain. Anyone got some ideas?

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
The finishing is easy if I can get a nice straight cut. I've seen those tanks, they are very beautiful. I'd just like the satisfaction of building one myself. Well mostly, I found a machinist to make some end caps, I unfortunately don't have access to a lathe.

This is still the issue for me. Cutting and finishing the glass is not a big deal. It's finding suitable end caps, although I'm at the point where I'm just going to use pre-existing end caps and add the glass tube. Just haven't had the time to fool with it lately.

What is the machinist going to use? Stainless steel? Delrin?

VapRVixN

Feb 7, 2012
USA
There's a guy on you tube who shows how to cut the glass bottles or in our case tubes, with almost a perfect cut. If you get those cutters (I've seen them on lab equipment sites) for cutting tubes (they have a cradle for the tube) and cut a single straight line around the tube, then slowly pour boiling water over the crack, then run it under cold water, it should pop apart nearly perfectly straight. I've got 12 feet of tube coming in that I will be trying this with. I figured I'd do one segment of tube at a time, cutting a single piece, breaking it off, then cutting the next. With a bucket of water in the sink to catch the falling pieces, I should be pretty safe.

As far as caps go, if you want metal ones done spec, then you'll probably get it cheaper locally, as I have found this to be the case with most metal work I've needed done. Delrin is a good possibility, as are the rubber ones, and you can get premade ones from chinese manufacturers, you just have to contact them with your sizes. I am in contact with one asian place that will do a clear silicone grommet too. I'm not sure how that would be with reactivity with juices though.

If you want to melt the ends for a rounded finish, you can use a basic propane torch you'd get from home depot, you can even do some basic glass melting with it if you wanted to decorate the outside, though it's not ideal for that type of set up. You can also use a micro torch to round the edges, but the bigger torch is faster.

b06gordo

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 3, 2012
Peoria Il
I realize that this thread is a few months old but I can help with your problems.

You need to cut the glass with a wet saw, just like you would use for tile. It would be possible to score and pop it but this takes a lot skill. The guys on youtube make it look extremely easy. It is very difficult, and for the purpose of tanks, you need the edge as flat as possible. The only way IMO is a wet saw, this will be fairly easy if you have access to one. as I stated in a previous thread I have been a glassblower for quite sometime, specializing in pyrex/boro, and I use a wet saw to cut tubing everyday.

Mightypirate, I hope this helps, if you (or anyone else) needs more advice please contact me. I am looking to get some stainless end caps fabricated, let me know if you still have the hook up on these.

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
I don't mess around with glass tubes anymore (don't ask lol) but I have always found that a simple triangle file with crisp edges works great. Just score around the tube, snap it off and blast the ends with a simple torch fitting on a small tank of map gas...beautiful rounded edges, you can even play around and puff out a ball, then cut the ends and lightly round em off...pretty unique I would imagine.

Ron -

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I don't mess around with glass tubes anymore (don't ask lol) but I have always found that a simple triangle file with crisp edges works great. Just score around the tube, snap it off and blast the ends with a simple torch fitting on a small tank of map gas...beautiful rounded edges, you can even play around and puff out a ball, then cut the ends and lightly round em off...pretty unique I would imagine.

Ron -

I have tried every way to score and snap pyrex. It always breaks wrong. It is too hard, and can not be snapped correctly by the scoring, wire heat method, score wet and heat does not work either, nor does a copper wire wrapped and heated and iced, it fracture cracks everywhere. Only way I have found 100% accutate that works everytime is like b06gordo said, a wet saw or similar method.
Soda glass will work with the methods above, but not pyrex.
Dan

b06gordo

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 3, 2012
Peoria Il
yes its really easy to score and snap smaller sized tubing, say... 5mm to 12mm but this sized tube does no good for us trying to make tanks. Once you get up to about 19mm it gets really hard to make a nice clean edge.

There many different way to score glass.. I've seen one in which an electrical wire is heated up around the glass and then cold water is poured on top of the hot wire, it worked well...

also a little tip.... it only take a very small score in the glass to make the cleanest edge..and after you score the tubing, lick your finger and "wipe" it across the score mark. The friction from the score heats the glass and a little moisture cools it down and this creates a situation where it snaps much cleaner... Glass is weird

hitman4274

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
south west florida
yes its really easy to score and snap smaller sized tubing, say... 5mm to 12mm but this sized tube does no good for us trying to make tanks. Once you get up to about 19mm it gets really hard to make a nice clean edge.

There many different way to score glass.. I've seen one in which an electrical wire is heated up around the glass and then cold water is poured on top of the hot wire, it worked well...

also a little tip.... it only take a very small score in the glass to make the cleanest edge..and after you score the tubing, lick your finger and "wipe" it across the score mark. The friction from the score heats the glass and a little moisture cools it down and this creates a situation where it snaps much cleaner... Glass is weird

^^^^^

Gordo def. Knows what's up..... I got some tanks from him and my dct end caps fit perfectly. Trying to come up with end caps elsewhere is the issue... Maybe a end cap coop is in order if we can get the price down enough to make it feisable.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread