Status
Not open for further replies.

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
I've worked with glass myself :)

It won't break from too much heat as long as it has been annealed. It could break from being dropped on a hard surface...but a properly annealed glass bead, drip tip, or other items are actually pretty strong :)
Laomi ? I'm not familiar with glass working..What does annealed mean :?: Is that like tempered or strengthened or something?

Laomi

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
South Jersey
It basically means a glass kiln was used to reduce the temperature very, very slowly. To form the glass it is heated to extremely high temps, and if it cools too quickly it can crack, or casue tiny stress fracturs which leave the glass weakened...although you might not be able to see it.

My experience is with making beads...but working with glass would be the same for drip tips :)

How to Anneal Glass Beads | eHow.com

Laomi

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
South Jersey
Oh and just to add...the temps listed in that article is most likely different from the glass most sound like they are using for the drip tips...soft glass and hard glass are different in the temps it takes to melt and anneal :) I worked in soft glass...and the drip tips seem to be being made by those who use hard glass.

That's a whole nother subject,lol.

Last edited:

Laomi

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
South Jersey
I hate to say anything negative about a product..BUT..

I also make beads from polymer clays :) Polymer clay is not to be used for anything that will have food or drink in it. It's mentioned that those drip tips are made from Sculpey.

This is directly from the manufacturer's page:

• Do not ingest clay.
• Do not make items which will be used to hold or to serve food or beverages or for smoking materials.
• Use dedicated tools, such as sculpting tools or a pasta machine and work surfaces such as cookie sheets or a Pyrex pan for clay purposes only.
• Protect work surface. Clays may stain or damage finished surfaces.
• Do not over bake.
• Do not exceed the recommended baking temperature or time. Do not use a microwave oven.
• Use an oven thermometer and follow the recommended baking temperature.
• Use good ventilation in the baking area.
Wash hands before and after use.

Your products carry the ACMI certification seal, but are there any safety issues? | Polyform Products Company

So please use caution if selecting to purchase them for drip tips, I want us all to improve our health :)

Rappel_Welch

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
South Carolina
If you're just looking for pretty drip tips, there's a company out of North Georgia that has some in acrylic and in glass. I don't know if the glass is annealed or not. I would break it either way with my luck, but I'm sure you could ask them. The acrylic dts are a tye-dye look. If you're interested, pm me and I'll find the company info for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread