Glad to be part of the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
I can't post a success story yet, so I'll share my story here so far.

I'm one of those smokers who admitted a long time ago I had a nic addiction. I guess the heavier you smoke the more your body feels the damage, and the more you feel the need to quit.

I'm now 32 years old and have been smoking since a young age. I've tried everything to quit. I mean literally everything.

Cold turkey : Quit a few times using this method, but never for very long, and it was always agonizing.

Patches Never worked for me, I would end up sticking as many patches on myself as possible, and still smoke with the patches on - complete waste of money, perhaps the least effective method I tried.

Gum Same as patches, didn't help me, not even for 1 day.

Zyban Did work, managed to quit for about 1 year. Had some minor side effects, but was glad to be free of tabacco

When I started again eventually read:

The easy way to quit smoking Allen Carr I am a huge fan of this book. I quit again for about 1 year. I still recommend this book, and I've seen it in action.

Champix Champix first time around, really made quitting very easy, but it came with a few bad side effects, really bad nightmares, and some other unpleasent sensations. Another problem with Champix is the cost.

Well you can imagine, after I had tried all these methods, some of them twice, my frustrations. I eventually came to the realization that I would have to smoke till I got some illness or died, maybe this is a bit over dramatic, but I guess I had given up trying to quit.

About 4 months ago a friend from SA had told me about vaping. My first reaction was one of disinterest, however 4 days ago I started experiencing severe breathing issues, so I decided to order an e-cig.

It arrived the very next day. Since then I haven't touched a smoke. I know its only 3 days, but I was a heavy smoker.

My experience so far with vaping is extremely positive, because in a way it feels like cheating death. I can continue to smoke except vaping won't kill me.

I am still learning all about vaping, and its become my hobby. I've ordered a few types of ejuice, which I already have, and some glycerin (medical grade), so I'm experimenting a bit with mixing.

I bought a joye 510, which I'm very happy with, but I've realized one of my atomizers that came with the starter kit could be faulty, in my previous post I was complaining a bit about vapour production, well it turns out it was the atomizer. Luckily starter pack has 2 atomizers.

Anyways cut a long story short. I intend to be a active member on this site. So thank you guys already for sharing your success stories. I am spreading the word. After reading your posts (in success stories), my sister and mothers husband have also bought e-cigs, which are arriving next week, so they'll be joining forums too.

My mother in law, says - if I can smoke the e-cig for 3 months without a normal smoke, she'll swop over. I am educating her on the cost savings.

Lastly that was another of my fears when I first got the unit, I spent a lot on outlay, and the starter kit cartridges didn't last long at all. I thought 10ml, well that doesn't sound like a lot, so I ordered 50ml's - lol it will last be a long time I am sure. Also got 100ml's of glycerin, so I can mix.

Well guys all I can say is - thanks for the great site, and really happy to be part of the community.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Welcome and good luck and Enjoy this great adventure.....
P.S. where are you from....It is just helpfull if you have other
questions concerning different topics on this forum....i.e. Europe, Asia, or U.S.

Hi Paul, I am living in Czech Republic, but originally from South Africa. Never been to the U.S, but have lots of U.S friends.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum. I was a pack a day smoker for 40 years and I go through more than 3 ml a day so 50 ml would last me a couple weeks. Just remember to give yourself time to order more before you run out. It's not a good feeling to be looking at your last ml of juice or your last atomizer and wondering if the new stuff will arive before that runs out. Oh yeah, you need a stash of attys too. I buy 5 at a time and order more when I'm down to 2.
Good luck. You've come to the right place. Lots of support here.

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Congratulations Michael!

You mentioned nightmares when trying Champix. Many who try to switch to e-cigs also experience vivid dreams or nightmares (possibly just an increased recollection of dreams).

Nicotine releases dopamine into the brain so you "feel good." Monoamine oxidase (MAI) metabolizes the nicotine, so the "feel good" doesn't last very long. Cigarette companies add monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) to cigarettes so the nicotine effect (feel good) lasts longer. If you want to replace smoking with vaping, you'll need to vape non-stop to compensate for the lack of MAOI.

Drink lots of water. You may find these possible side effects of quitting smoking/starting vaping of interest:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ing-your-symptoms-while-adjusting-vaping.html

Good Luck!

GloryAnna

Jul 23, 2010
North Carolina
I found when I satrted vaping that I was constantly thirsty. I have had to increase my fluid/water intake by almost double to help combat the dehydrated feeling I had. I don't know if it is from the PG that is used, but that is what I suspect.

Chantix is scary stuff. I had a nasty change in personality and even got to the point where I felt violence surging through my body. I am not a violent person, but all I wanted to do was to physically lash out at anyone that was around. It is a good thing I live alone!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Nice Micheal :) Welcome to ECF btw.
Make sure you get lots of atties - they tend to crap out when you least expect it (and when its least convenient) so we recommend spares as standard.
Some of course can last months but never rely on that happening - you dont want to be stuck without one :)
Your 'patches' experience actually made me laugh out loud - I had a friend who did that - her arms looked like she had sleeves made of patches.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Nicotine releases dopamine into the brain so you "feel good." Monoamine oxidase (MAI) metabolizes the nicotine, so the "feel good" doesn't last very long. Cigarette companies add monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) to cigarettes so the nicotine effect (feel good) lasts longer. If you want to replace smoking with vaping, you'll need to vape non-stop to compensate for the lack of MAOI.

Thanks Audio for this info. I've been vaping pretty much non stop, so I was wondering about this. I was wondering if I wasn't getting enough nicotine.
Does this get any better over time?

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
What nicotine strength is the juice you are using?

I've got 18MG's which gives a very nice TH. Then I have 24MG's which is a bit strong on the TH side. So I alternating here and there, using mainly 18MG's straight, then topping up a bit with the 24MG's when I feel a bit deprived :)

I bought 5 bottles of juice, and am without empty containers, so as soon as 1 bottle frees up, I hope to mix the 24MG with 1/3 of VG. Do you think this could help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread