Getting the most out of your carto tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! Just thought I'd share some of what I've learned fiddling with carto tanks.

As most of you may know, a cartomizer tank is a polycarbonate or plastic (even glass sometimes) tube with gasketed fittings on either end allowing it to be slid over a cartomizer while providing a snug seal. The tank holds the e-liquid, which surrounds the cartomizer and constantly wicks inside of it through holes or slits punched or cut in the cartomizer itself. This allows the polyfill to stay moist, and provides the user with a fresh, just-topped-off-carto flavor with each toot.

Carto tanks are provided in a few different shapes and sizes, and are available from many vendors. There are lots of posts on the different varieties and brands, so I won't go into them here, although my favorites are those sold by vaporescence.

Many vendors also sell pre-punched or slotted cartomizers. These are extremely convenient, and a great way to get started with tanks, but I found after using them for a while that there are a few ways to punch them yourself. These are my methods and tips.

Usually, I punch with a simple hammer and nail. A finishing nail works fine, provided it is thin enough. If you can find one with a slightly tapered tip, all the better, as you can control the size of the hole you are punching. I hold my cartos firmly on some carpet, using the same hand to position the nail, and then whack away until the nail punches through.

Many vendors punch holes on each side, although I find this is unnecessary. Once the hole is punched, I screw the carto into my pv of choice, then slide the tank on almost fully, making sure that the bottom gasket is above the hole in the carto, to prevent leaking while filling. Then I use a bottle, placing the tip on the inside of the top gasket. When you squeeze, the surface tension of the liquid will cause it to run down the inside of the tank, filling it. No syringe required! Once the tank is full, quickly slide it down over the carto, forming a seal on both gaskets.

Many users at this point recommend letting the tank sit for a half hour so the filler properly wicks, although this can be avoided by simply taking some short, quick dry pulls. If you see bubbles coming out of the hole in your carto, you're manually drawing the liquid into it! Pretty neat, I think. This also works well with thick juice which wouldn't normally wick. I find that if I press the tank down onto the pv, creating a seal, I can then dry draw (extremely hard) and see the liquid level in the tank go down. I do this until I can pop off my drip tip and see the filler is saturated. This way, I can still use 100% VG in a carto tank, no problem!

I hope this was helpful. It took me a lot of fiddling to learn to finesse these things, just thought I'd pass on my knowledge.

Happy vaping!

Duekster

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I do not have the phat, I have the regular one. I still prime my carto from the top.

I also will push the tank all the way to the mod, hold down on it to get a decent seal and draw on it to help wick the juice up. I do this every so often to keep the carto wet. I am often able to get plenty of use out of a carto.

I have had some carto's simply leak and gurgle all over the place. Nothing I can do to make it stop eiter short of replacement. Being new to this hobby, I have no idea how the carto's are constructed or why some go bad so quickly while other go on for weeks.

DapperDan

Oct 18, 2009
Iowa
Many users at this point recommend letting the tank sit for a half hour so the filler properly wicks, although this can be avoided by simply taking some short, quick dry pulls. If you see bubbles coming out of the hole in your carto, you're manually drawing the liquid into it! Pretty neat, I think. This also works well with thick juice which wouldn't normally wick. I find that if I press the tank down onto the pv, creating a seal, I can then dry draw (extremely hard) and see the liquid level in the tank go down. I do this until I can pop off my drip tip and see the filler is saturated. This way, I can still use 100% VG in a carto tank, no problem!

Absolutely awesome advice! Just got my first tank and I use VG liquid which wasn't wicking good at all. Dry draws, however, are the answer! I was soooo close to getting ...... too!

Be careful though, I did it a bit too much and flooded my carto! Live and learn!

st0nedpenguin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2010
WA
I usually pop a couple holes in my Boge's, just to make sure they wick well as some tend to be a little slow with thicker juices.

I also started refilling the Liquinator by popping the top cap off and just filling the tank close to the top, then popping the cap back on, if you fill it just right the pressure of popping the cap back on will force juice into the carto by itself. This also helps if you have two holes as sometimes sliding the tank up the carto will cause leaks from the bottom due to the two holes warping the shape of the carto itself.

Also when popping a new carto in I usually overfill deliberately and then leave it to settle/drip out for ~10 minutes, I find you're less likely to waste a carto if you're willing to waste a little juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread