Getting into DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Well I wasn't planning on placing my first DIY order just yet, but I was reading yet another thread about getting started http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/329455-maybe-taking-too-much-beginner.html, and saw some good discounts for Capellas. 5 Flavor Super Deal for 19.95 Sooo, I can't resist a good sale. I got ten flavors from them. I think this will give me a good start. I then went over to RTS Vapes Liquid Nicotine and got some supplies also, to my good fortune they too have a good coupon discount also. I think I'm set to go.
So, I guess I need to thank Thomas Simms for his thread I was reading, and I need to thank Lyndagayle for posting the Capella discount info. I can't wait to get started. I am and have been so tired of the ho hum pre-made liquids from the vendors I've been using. I also look forward to mingling with the DIY crew.:2cool:

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks Mr. I plan on this to be a fun experience learning how to create. I kept within my initial purchase budget with $10 to spare, so I'm starting off well. I did go to another vendor(after my first post)to fill in a couple of flavors I will need for some recipes I want to try. I will stick to the basics at first with some flavor testing in small quantities before making any sizable batches. I've been reading in the DIY section for over a month now, and seem to only scratch the surface with all the helpful info here and there. If I were to read everything before I get started, I'll never get started, so now is the time. I'm so stoked...:D

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
You CAN do it and it's a great "hobby" (addiction?) LOL Just be sure to make notes on EVERY step, so once you finally get something "at least decent" to vape for your tastes you can duplicate it (and possibly improve from there if need be) . Always make certain your final nicotine soloution is at a safe level and where you want it to be, nicotine will often change the taste of a juice as well so many find it beneficial to make no nic test runs to get the flavor close to where they want it YMMV

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks Jim and 18, I have been going over and bookmarking several valuable blogs and sites. Right now I'm re-reading the Hoosier blogs, very good stuff in here E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs. And I have probably the most used calculator from Breaktru I've been playing with eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator. And also I found this very good bit of info I will use, I think it came from STR8 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5rhNaN5v1yPZGdCRXMyb2NJaWs/edit
So yes, I'll be having fun doing this, and ALL my hobbies are an addiction.:blink: AND, I'll finally learn how to become patient, and take detailed notes.:laugh:

vimilla

Jan 16, 2012
Indiana
Thanks Jim and 18, I have been going over and bookmarking several valuable blogs and sites. Right now I'm re-reading the Hoosier blogs, very good stuff in here E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs. And I have probably the most used calculator from Breaktru I've been playing with eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator. And also I found this very good bit of info I will use, I think it came from STR8 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5rhNaN5v1yPZGdCRXMyb2NJaWs/edit
So yes, I'll be having fun doing this, and ALL my hobbies are an addiction.:blink: AND, I'll finally learn how to become patient, and take detailed notes.:laugh:

Not trying to thread-jack, but just elaborating and sharing your anticipated excitement! Looks like you and I did similar research. I also read Hoosier and Str8's blogs (as well as a few others) and I did read Str8's blog about how to find the sweet-spot for flavor %s, however... somehow I missed that he created a google doc outlining it all. I'm about to print it out to keep on hand in my box of flavors until I master the technique. Thanks K5 for linking it up here. The great thing about the ECF in general is that we all learn from each other!

As far as detailed notes go, I have about 8 pages of handwritten notes that I made BEFORE I placed a single order! I get scared when I read some new DIYer's post something horrific when they start out unplanned and unprepared. This is something not to be taken lightly, as most of us know.

The first of my DYI supplies showed up this morning. I am still waiting on 3 more orders. Due to some vendors being out of certain items on my list of needs, I had to split my start-up "kit" into more vendors than I wanted. But it's all good. I did 2 of the Capella's 5 bottle deal as well. For my total newbie flavor beginnings I will have 10 Capella's, 3 Flavourart's, 2 TPA's, and 5 concentrated VZ's (concentrates arrived this morning!!)

Anyway, just wanted to share, and thank you for the link to Str8's e-doc. Actually, thank you to the WHOLE DIY COMMUNITY, for giving me the knowledge and the courage to try this!! And did I mentioned how excited I am too?!

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks vimilla for this post. We are two peas in a pod. Notes, items ordered, sounds very familiar. I'm happy to see that I'm not being overly ocd in doing this. I like how you say that this is not to be taken lightly, I agree. However it must be fun, as well as have benefits that outweigh the purchase of pre-mixed vendor juice. Plus I hate making mistakes although I make plenty.
I'm adding links as I go so that other nooBs that may come across this will have the same info we both diligently scrounged for ourselves. The amount of info is overwhelming at times, I try to filter out the things I can't understand as yet and focus on the info I can understand. I just want to make some tasty juice and share recipes with others on the forum.:2cool:

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
Well I wasn't planning on placing my first DIY order just yet, but I was reading yet another thread about getting started http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/329455-maybe-taking-too-much-beginner.html, and saw some good discounts for Capellas. 5 Flavor Super Deal for 19.95 Sooo, I can't resist a good sale. I got ten flavors from them. I think this will give me a good start. I then went over to RTS Vapes Liquid Nicotine and got some supplies also, to my good fortune they too have a good coupon discount also. I think I'm set to go.
So, I guess I need to thank Thomas Simms for his thread I was reading, and I need to thank Lyndagayle for posting the Capella discount info. I can't wait to get started. I am and have been so tired of the ho hum pre-made liquids from the vendors I've been using. I also look forward to mingling with the DIY crew.:2cool:

Thanks for the 5 flavor Capella link. I could not get to it just browsing the site but your link took me right there. Ordered 6 flavors for 25.31 delivered. That's 4.21 each for 13ml bottles. Also DISC10 was for 10% and they also had 2.00 shipping. Not a bad deal deal. Was gonna go for ten flavors but I just ordered a bunch from Wizard Labs four days ago. I am giving DIY a second shot. About a year ago I gave it a whirl and came up with nothing but crap. After reading all these DIY threads I think my downfall was too much flavoring in every batch. I kinda stuck with 20% as gospel. This time I will be staying between 8 and 10% on my initial batches and go on from there. Best of luck to you with your mixes.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Next time your order that 5 flavor pack, you can try this coupon code for %10 off disc10 (tested and working 12/31/12).

You have to get 2 x 5 pack for the discount to apply though, that or add another single flavor to get the total over $20 so the discount will apply. And they are still offering the $2 USPS shipping too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread