ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Here is the right size tubing for $1.60/ft:
CLEAR POLYCARBONATE TUBE - Plastic Tubing

I've never dealt with this company but they do have one good rating:
Interstate Plastics - interstateplastics.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

BTW they price the thick walled stuff @ $17.53/8ft just to give you a comparison.

peace.
unloaded

I think we will go with this company for the tubing. Their price is the best I have seen so far and I have contacted 8 different Plastics company's within 3 hours of my house and none of them have gotten back to me. This means we will be purchasing on the net and I will cut them down to packable size to include in the boxes. We will purchase an extra foot so I can practice cutting it with my rigid pipe cutter so they turn out 1/2 way decent. As Dan suggested I will cut them into 3" ~ 4" chunks and you will have to finish them yourself.

I will check in with Fender but I think this is the last item we where dealing with. If there are no other pending issues We will probably start the co-op on Tuesday.

Once I get in touch with Fender and make sure we are both on the same page we will post a list with links for everything we are purchasing so that everyone can look it over to ensure we didn't mess something up =].

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
When you contact the vendor for the plastic ask if it can be cut to length. Probably wouldn't add much to the cost and would save a lot of trouble. Another option would to have the machinist cut and bevel each piece. Plastic is a little tricky to work with. Special bits and blades are used because you are always walking a thin line between melting or stress cracking it while working it. If you're talking about a pipe cutter with the wheel you tighten as you go, that would be very tedious. You'll have to tighten very slowly as you go and make lots of rounds to avoid stressing it. CNC lathe would be ideal to cut and bevel but I don't know how much it would add to the cost.

Glad to see its all coming together, can't wait to order a couple.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Amazon.com: Ridgid 23488 Scissor-Style Plastic Pipe and Tubing Cutter: Home Improvement

I use this type of cutter. I use it a lot for cutting large coax as it has to be cut very cleanly without deforming the solid outer conductor so that the coring tool will work and the connector will go on properly. If used correctly you get a very nice cut with it. The trick is to rock it back and forth with slight pressure and you get a nice clean strait cut without a lot of stress to the piece being cut.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Ah, I've cut PVC and softer tubing with those kind of cutters, I would have thought poly or acrylic would be too hard. You'll have forearms like Popeye when you're done!

The trick is in the rocking motion. I cut through copper shielding and large center conductor with little or no effort. If the tube is deforming more than just a little you are squeezing too hard.

fender0942

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
New jersey
Ok. Just spoke with bstedh and all the details are set in motion. All I have to do is tighten up the numbers to absolutely sure I am following the guidelines to a non-profit co-op for a scubagen genesis atomizer tank. I have made all the Pre-required consents and with the help of Ed, all that will want, will own. The co-op should be started at some point late afternoon tomorrow. I will return to this thread and post the link. At that point the ordering will begin. The first batch goal will be 100 orders. Then we will have the capacity to go to 150 and even 200. More details to follow tomorrow.

Once again, Ed, from the beginning of this whole thing I reached into the world of ecf to get help. You answered me. Just wanted to say thanks for your generous offer to help with this.

See y'all tomorrow.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I plan on using my big power Miter box and putting a wood dowel in the center of the tube, I would think this would work no problem has anyone done this as to cutting the tubing ?
I think you would have two possible issues.

1) excessive heat = melted edges
2) Chipping of the edges.

If you give it a go let us know what happens.

I have only worked with acrylic to date and any power tool I have tried has failed miserably due to those two factors.

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
I plan on using my big power Miter box and putting a wood dowel in the center of the tube, I would think this would work no problem has anyone done this as to cutting the tubing ?

It might just work. I use to cut plexiglass with a jig saw by cutting it and some paneling together. The saw dust keeps the plexi from re-welding it's self back together behind the saw blade.

fender0942

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
New jersey
*******UPDATE********

I need everybody's opinion on having delivery confirmation so you all get a tracking number. Or basic insurance. It would increase the per unit price about $2.00 (we are getting a definite figure). I think this would be great. It protects all of us. Please post what you think.

thanks,

Mike

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
TOTAL.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.