Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    geekvape l200 Classic Dual 21700 Kit
    New Legend 2. New Power Beast.

1677519424062.png

Hi. :blush:

Today we have a long awaited treat (at least for me it has been)! GeekVape has returned to the reputation they've been most notably known for with the release of the L200 Classic - ruggedness and durability. Not long after the launch of the Aegis L200, it was noticed by many (including myself) that while the mods themselves were very lightweight and compact, they lacked the ruggedness of its predecessor, the Aegis Legend. Lightweight to me has never been the sign of a quality mod as convenient as it may be. Why, you ask? Lightweight means plastics and aluminum-alloy. While both of these components have great uses for many things, durability and ruggedness would not be characteristics I would associate with either of them. Aircraft-grade aluminum is cool and all I suppose, but what happens when an aircraft drops from the sky? Yes, you see my point here.

There are a lot of things to cover in this review, so I'll get right to it. Before I get too far, I want to thank Joyi over at Sourcemore for providing me this device for the review, and @Ema from Sourcemore here on ECF for continuing to contribute to the community. As always, this critique will be conducted in a fair, honest, and unbiased manner (as much as possible).

Much of the information provided in this review was extracted from the L200 Classic page at Sourcemore found here. I would advise taking a look around the site as I've purchased a lot (a lot, a lot) of stuff from them over the past few years and they've yet to fail me even with some unpredictable snafu's thrown in the mix.

1677519467094.png

Color Options:
    ◆ Blue
    ◆ Beige
    ◆ Red
    ◆ Black
    ◆ Rainbow
    ◆ Volcanic Grey

1677519476722.png

Predominant Features:
    ◆ Boosting Mode
    ◆ Dual 21700 External Batteries
    ◆ A-Lock
    ◆ Tri-proof, IP68-rating
    ◆ Top Airflow Z Max Atomizer

Package Contents:
    ◆ L200 Classic Mod
    ◆ Geekvape Z Max Tank (6mL)
    ◆ Coil Tool
    ◆ Spare Parts Pack
    ◆ Spare Glass Tube 4ml
    ◆ USB Type-C Cable
    ◆ Geekvape M 0.14ohm Coil(Pre-installed, 60-80W)
    ◆ Geekvape M 0.2ohm Coil(Spare, 70-85W)
    ◆ 18650 Battery Adapter (x2)

Mod/Atomizer Specs:
    Kit SizeH: 147.35mm, L: 64.46mm, W: 33.00mm
    Output Power5W-200W
    Maximum Output Current45A
    Maximum Output Voltage12V
    Charging PortUSB Type-C
    Resistance of Atomizer0.1ohm-3ohm
    BatteryExternal dual 21700/18650 batteries (not included)
    Display Screen1.08 inch, TFT color screen
    Operating Temperature0℃-45℃ (32℉-113℉)
    Storage Temperature-20℃-60℃ (-4℉-140℉)
    Relative Humidity45%RH-75%RH
    Cooling ModeNatural Cooling
    Packing Size81*81*135mm
    E-juice Capacity6mL (4mL with spare tank)

Personal Testing & Experience:

1677457091821.png

The GeekVape L200 Classic Packaging arrived a little banged up, but at no fault of Sourcemore's. Everything inside was unscathed as you can see which tells you that it's packaged quite well. I don't think you have to worry too much about the mod itself unless it gets run over by a truck, lol.

There's a lot that comes in this kit. You get a spare set of O-rings for each particular O-ring. That means there's 6 O-rings in the atomizer that you may want to familarize yourself with in case you run into a leaking issue down the road. In my experience, GeekVape tanks have been very reliable in terms of longevity, so I don't see you needing to replace them anytime soon. The spare bubble glass isn't quite as "bubbly" as the one that comes pre-installed and only holds 4mL's instead of 6mL's. If you're concerned about the 6mL bubble glass cracking when tipped over (it's uber bubbly!), the spare 4mL glass should help you with additional clearance. On the right are your 18650 battery adapters. Above that and also to the left is your charging cable and spare 0.20 ohm M coil.

1677519498298.png

Here's a good look at the L200 Classic mod. I highlighted some features that weren't really depicted anywhere on Sourcemore's page. Anything on the exterior portion of the mod that isn't shiny or leather is silicone rubber. It should be noted that the original Aegis Legend also had a silicone exterior which is what made it as tough as it was. It's successor, the Aegis L200, lacked much of this rubber coating which reduced its size considerably and gave it a more stylish look, but the reviews wreaked havoc on the IP68-rating. The frame and most of the mod was made of plastic greatly reducing its weight, but again, a questionable decision as the top portion of the mod was known to break off after a drop and some people were having issues with the battery door opening when unintended. This is where the L200 Classic greatly differs, bringing us back to the roots in durability of the OG Aegis Legend. Some reviewers mentioned that the door on the L200 Classic was too tight for their liking, but I think this a positive for two reasons: One, I'd rather it be too tight than too loose, and two, battery doors are known to loosen up a bit over time. So with enough use, you can probably expect the battery door to be just right. Also, you may notice that the entire exterior is fastened with Torx screws. No more needing 17 different screwdriver heads to open up the mod if you so wish to.

Although quite large (comparison pics shown below), it has much of the same feel as the Aegis Legend, just rounded out and smoothened a bit. I have rather small hands and find no difficulty in holding or operating this mod.

The buttons are snappy and have a click to them. If you're familiar with previous Aegis devices, this is no different.

The A-Lock located on the side is a physical power button added with the release of the Aegis M100, S100, and L200, and is a very welcomed addition - one of my favorite features.

I averaged around 350-375 puffs per battery cycle at 55W using dual Samsung 50E's. You'll be hard pressed to find better than that for battery life at 55W.

1677461373580.png

The L200 Classic Kit comes with the Z Max tank. Structurally, it's very similar to GeekVape's 2021 Z tank. The first thing you may notice is how ridiculously large the bubble glass is. When you see the coils shown below, you'll understand why. I denoted the location of the 6 O-rings on the atomizer. The smaller black O-ring (not visible) is used to seal the drip tip inside the top cap. The drip tip itself does not have any O-rings, so be aware of this if you're looking to use your own custom 810 drip tip.

The tank itself is very easy to disassemble and reassemble. The top picture above shows the tank completely disassembled exclusing the O-rings which I'd suggest removing if you're going to use soap to clean the tank. Getting the glass off may require a tad bit of patience as it's a tight fit to remove or put back on if you're going to switch out bubble tanks. There are grooved notches/channels in the top cap and the airflow ring which I've made note. If the airflow ring isn't correctly fit into the notch, it will not sit flush as seen above. Twist the airflow ring until it properly sits flush on the tank. The quarter-turn top cap also has notches that need to be aligned to get the top cap to twist on, but this is very easy to do.

The airflow when fully open isn't quite a full DL - there is a slight amount of restriction. Fully closed, and you're looking at a very loose MTL. I would not suggest vaping a DL coil in this configuration. There is a nice gradual and noticeable change in airflow as you close the ring and I really like that. I would say that I found the best flavor at around half open/closed.

Make sure when you install the coil, that you do not see any of the O-ring on the coil. If you do see part of the orange O-ring, that means the coil isn't seated properly inside the tank.

I have to be brutally honest, the Z Max tank has been a bit of a let down for me. Not really structurally or aethetically as those aspects don't matter as much to me as they probably do for others - I would vape on a pineapple-looking atomizer if the flavor was amazing. :w00t: I'm very much about the flavor output. I suppose I had high expectations that it would exceed the 2021 Z tank released with many of the more recent GeekVape Aegis kits, but that hasn't been my experience, unfortunately. And that would bring us to the M coils.

1677462350984.png

The GeekVape L200 Classic Kit comes with two M-series coils, a 0.15 ohm (pre-installed) and a 0.20 ohm (spare) coil. The 0.15 ohm coil has a single barrel with one coil and the airflow slot at the bottom of it is almost wide open compared to the airflow holes near the bottom of the 0.20 ohm M coil. You may also notice that the 0.15 coil is quite a bit more slender than the 0.20 ohm coil with three barrels and coils. You're likely able to squeeze another 0.5mL's of juice in your tank using the 0.15 ohm coil if that makes any difference to you. The girth of the 0.20 ohm coil is why the bubble glass is so bubbly. The older Z tank held I believe 5.5mL's of liquid and I'm sure they wanted to stick to something close to that. This is also where I should note that the Z Max really sucks down the juice. You're going to notice the loss of those extra 2mL's of juice if you switch to the smaller tank.

I got 945 puffs out of the 0.15 ohm M coil before the flavor was almost non-existent. I wouldn't say the coil tasted burnt, but the flavor degradation was undesireable. I switched in the 0.20 ohm M coil and I'm currently at 1863 total puffs, so almost the same amount of puffs with the new coil. Again, I wouldn't say the flavor output is bad, but it's very lacking from when I first installed the coil. I wouldn't say there's a huge difference in flavor output between the coils, but there is a noticeable airflow difference between the two. For the sake of the review, I've been continuing to vape the 0.20 ohm coil hoping to find a cutoff point. I'm close, but I'm not quite there yet. So, depending on when you change your coils, I'm going to give the average of the two M-series coils around 1000 puffs as an expectation which is pretty standard for coil heads these days. If the Z-series coils are a 7.5 in flavor, I'd give the M-series coils a 6.5, maybe a 7 for a cooler vape.

In the category of performance in regards to a warm vape, the M-series coils definitely outshine the Z-series coils, so if a warm vape is what you're after, then the M-series coils might be for you.

I will say that GeekVape does a very good job in their coil construction and assembly. All of their O-rings and seals never fail to look and fit almost perfectly, so I will definitely give them props on that.

1677464205499.png

GeekVape did add a new mode to the L200 Classic, but I honestly think it's the old Bypass Mode with a new name, as Bypass Mode has been removed in this iteration of the chip. Bypass mode in a regulated mod more or less draws the available battery voltage left in the batteries. However, performance declines as the batteries die which is a big reason why I put a lot of emphasis of importance on chips with a step-up converter known as "boost". Almost all regulated mods have a step-down converter known as "buck", but they don't always have boost, and certainly not dual battery mods for the most part. For those that enjoy using exotic atomizers such as Hellvape's Seri RDA that can use 3 coils in series, this is a mod that can handle that. A non-boosted dual battery mod will usually cap out at 8.0 to 8.4V (4.2V x2 batteries) and wouldn't handle the Seri RDA very well. The L200 Classic tops out at 11.4V tested (12V advertised), courtesy of the boost chip. When GeekVape stated that this is the "New Power Beast", they weren't lying. There's only one other dual 21700 mod that I've tested that reaches 12V, and that's Dovpo's Odin 200. The DNA 250C doesn't even go up to 8.4V, so there's that. If you're interested in checking out comparative stats for several different single and dual 21700 mods, the link is located in my signature. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the list.

Regarding the UI, it's more or less the same as any other previous GeekVape mod. If you are unfamiliar with how to operate it, check out DJLsb Vapes on Youtube - he usually does a great job of explaining the positive and negative aspects in most of his reviews, while also explaining the functionality. In this case, since the UI operates in such a similar fashion, he redirects the viewer to the older Aegis Legend 2 video for operation. You can also get a look at how the L200 Classic compares in size to the Aegis Legend 2 side-by-side. I've got 3-4 Aegis Legend 2's sitting boxed up in a storage box somewhere, but could not locate them for the comparison picture. Same with the OG Legend - they're likely in the same storage box. Why do I have them boxed up if they're such a great device? Because I'm fairly confident GeekVape's mods will work in 7-8 years from now whereas that confidence levels drops dramatically for brands that typically peter out in a shorter timespan which is what I'm mainly using now. Besides, I now have 3 L200 Classics to keep me company - I really have a thing for 21700 mods. :blush:

1677519522812.png

This is a quick peek at the performance results I tested. For clarity, the arrows here are simply pointing out the labels and their associated columns and are not pointed at any specific values for any reason. And any column that mentions "Mod" is an actual readout from the mod via the UI. I won't go too nerdy on you, but it should be noted that the arrow pointing to the column labeled "Amp Draw (Mod)" is in some cases much lower than the other dual 21700 mods I've previously tested using the same 0.15 ohm coil. This is the Amp readout on the mod when fired. For the 0.15 ohm coil at 200W, it drew 34.4A which will go a tad bit higher with a lower resistance coil, but not likely so much that it would reach the advertised 45A cap. The voltage readings across the board in all of the tested dual 21700 mods remained near 5.5V leading to a slightly underwhelming wattage output - in most cases slightly lower than the calculated wattage output using Ohm's Law. This isn't an entirely bad thing, however. Lower amp draw means your batteries will remain cooler for longer, while only losing a few watts as a tradeoff. I'm very much okay with that. This is better for the longevity of both the mod and batteries being that heat is the #1 culprit for shortened the natural lifespans in both components.

If you're looking for actual wattage output, just look at the right column labeled "Actual Wattage Using Amp & Voltage Readings".

1677519543778.png

For Size Comparison:

Top 2 Pictures L to R: Vapefly Kriemhild 200W, Vandy Vape Gaur-21, GeekVape L200 Classic, Steam Crave Hadron Plus DNA250C

Middle 2 Pictures L to R: GeekVape L200 Classic vs. Vandy Vape Gaur-21

Bottom Picture L to R: GeekVape L200 (non-Classic), Lost Vape Thelema 200W, Vandy Vape Gaur-21

I added these size-comparison pics because I think one of the biggest questions people have about this mod is the size. It's definitely a chunky monkey but well worth it!

Pros/Cons/Preference:

++PROS++
    ◆ Compatible with dual 21700/18650 batteries (for those looking for battery life)
    ◆ IP68-rating/Ruggedness is back!
    ◆ Solid 510 platform
    ◆ Still maintains a sleek aesthetic but with better drop protection
    ◆ The buttons are nice and clicky and very responsive
    ◆ A-Lock is a huge plus
    ◆ Similar hand-feel as the Aegis Legend 2, just a bit bigger and with more silicone - much better hand-feel than the OG Legend
    ◆ Familiar UI that's easy to use with a wide array of options
    ◆ 33mm atomizer clearance
    ◆ Boosted chip
    ◆ Z Max tank maintains the same reliable and easy functionality of the previous Z Tank
    ◆ Z Max tank is very easy to disassemble and reassemble
    ◆ Z Max tank performs very well at higher wattages for those that like a warmer vape
    ◆ Z Max tank has top airflow and a great range in airflows
    ◆ 4 and 6mL bubble glass options
    ◆ USB Type-C
    ◆ A lot comes in this kit - definitely a great starter kit

--CONS--
    ◆ Z Max tank was underwhelming in flavor output (maybe my expectations were too high) - it's not bad, just not stellar
    ◆ Z Max tank really sucks down the juice
    ◆ 510 platform on the L200 Classic mod is easy to scratch if atomizers are over-tightened

+-PREFERENCE-+
    ◆ Size/Bulkiness
    ◆ Battery door hatch is quite tight (definitely a pro for me)
    ◆ Boosting Mode is more or less a rebranded Bypass Mode (but let's be honest, who still uses it?)
    ◆ Z Max tank is definitely a cloud machine
    ◆ Z Max big mamma jamma bubble glass is a bit ridiculous in all its bubbliness
    ◆ 810 drip tip is a bit chonky (hope you got big lips :w00t:)

**I've added the Preference portion to the Pros/Cons list to depict certain characteristics that could be deemed as both a pro or a con depending upon what characteristics you do or don't value most**

Concluding Thoughts:

This entire review can be summed up with this statement - If you're not here for ruggedness and the power of dual 21700's, then why are you even here!? I jest, lol. The L200 Classic mod is really the shining star of this GeekVape kit. There really isn't too much to negatively pick at and a lot of your decision-making will rely on what you prioritize most in what you want in a mod. Do you want lotsa power? Check. Do you want massive battery life? Check. Ruggedness comparable to the OG Aegis Legend? Check. Do you want a boosted chip? Check. Are you wanting a mod that can handle exotic atomizers? Check. There really isn't a shoe that doesn't fit with this device if size and bulkiness are not high on your "concerns" list.

Again, the Z Max tank is just decent. I wouldn't say it puts out better flavor than the Z-series tanks and coils, however the Z-series coils did not hold up very well for those wanting a warmer vape. Several people have reported the Z-series coils burning out prematurely at mid to high wattage in the coils' recommended wattage range. I will say that the Z Max performed quite well at higher wattages for a warmer vape, and this tank would definitely be a decent option for those seeking that. I myself enjoy a cooler vape, and so did not favor the Z Max. Maybe you will!

I appreciate Joyi at Sourcemore for allowing me to test out this device far longer than most of my other reviews. It took me a bit over a month to really put the L200 Classic mod and M-series coils through their paces. Although the Z Max tank wasn't particular to my liking, maybe you will or have experienced something much different. If so, what did or didn't you like about the Z Max tank? Overall I'm going to say that the GeekVape L200 Classic is a solid kit, and a very complete and great choice for a starter kit.

Overall Ratings:
    8.5 (for the kit)
    9.5 (for the L200 Classic mod)

I appreciate those of you that stuck with me to the end of this review. I know I write a lot, but I'd rather there be too much information than not enough. If you have any questions about this mod or have input to add, please feel free to leave a comment for as long as this thread remains open, or you can also PM me. Thanks again, and I hope I've informed you well enough to help in any decision-making you may be doing. The Geekvape L200 Classic kit can be found here, the L200 Classic mod can be found here, the Z Max tank can be found here, and the M-series coils for the Z Max tank can be found here (this is a steal of a price!). Thank you again Joyi and Sourcemore.

Happy vape hoarding!
    :rickroll:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Great review! I never had an issue with their coils but agree they aren’t the best. I don’t remember if I tried the M series coils. I just feel like they don’t come up with any new designs and just keep putting out the same stuff in different colors. However, as you know I am a bit biased after the way they treated the reviewers on ECF.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Great review! I never had an issue with their coils but agree they aren’t the best. I don’t remember if I tried the M series coils. I just feel like they don’t come up with any new designs and just keep putting out the same stuff in different colors. However, as you know I am a bit biased after the way they treated the reviewers on ECF.
    Thanks Hitt! I remember you saying that you had to turn the wattage down on the Z Max because the flavor was too pungent for your liking. Maybe I was just too siked to try it.

And yeah, I tried not to be bias since this review is for Sourcemore. They've never treated me badly, so there's no reason to hate on them for a decent product from a not-so-friendly brand. I didn't link the review in the GeekVape thread specifically for the reason you mentioned.

I just feel like they don’t come up with any new designs and just keep putting out the same stuff in different colors.
    I would say that this is a lot of manufacturers right now. It's like they're too lazy to invest into new research. There are still a few brands doing good work in that department, though.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Thanks Hitt! I remember you saying that you had to turn the wattage down on the Z Max because the flavor was too pungent for your liking. Maybe I was just too siked to try it.

And yeah, I tried not to be bias since this review is for Sourcemore. They've never treated me badly, so there's no reason to hate on them for a decent product from a not-so-friendly brand. I didn't link the review in the GeekVape thread specifically for the reason you mentioned.

I would say that this is a lot of manufacturers right now. It's like they're too lazy to invest into new research. There are still a few brands doing good work in that department, though.
    I’m glad you remember me saying that. I honestly don’t even remember that review I did. I’ve done so many that it’s hard to remember all of them.

I wouldn’t expect you to be biased and you did a great fair review. As far as companies not doing research, you’re right that there are others but I haven’t noticed others just changing colors of the same devices and releasing them as new product like Geekvape has been doing but I may have missed them.

Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I’m glad you remember me saying that. I honestly don’t even remember that review I did. I’ve done so many that it’s hard to remember all of them.

I wouldn’t expect you to be biased and you did a great fair review. As far as companies not doing research, you’re right that there are others but I haven’t noticed others just changing colors of the same devices and releasing them as new product like Geekvape has been doing but I may have missed them.
    I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose to fill in times when there isn't anything new being released. Everyone's always fighting for the spotlight of relevancy.

Reactions: hittman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread