Geekvape Griffin 25 RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
I'm brand new to the RTA world, this Griffin 25 was my first build. And I definitely do get the "Seeping" where is this coming from? I haven't been able to figure it out. Either way though I still love the thing, might still be worth the juice I'm loosing which isn't much.

I do not have the 25 only the 22, but let me ask--- do you notice the condensation or seeping coming out of the airflow or where the glass meets the base? or is it where you can not tell where it is coming from?
I am with you though, even though I have some seeping--- I love the thing so much it does not bother me

Reactions: bongobreak

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I definitely notice vapor coming back out when I put it down and creating bits of condensation on the mod/tank a bit, using top airflow version. But I think it's when it's low that it starts to actually leak a little, and I think it gets worse when I close the juice wells to refill. Considering not closing them, max VG prob won't matter.

Reactions: Steven Pye

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    I'm brand new to the RTA world, this Griffin 25 was my first build. And I definitely do get the "Seeping" where is this coming from? I haven't been able to figure it out. Either way though I still love the thing, might still be worth the juice I'm loosing which isn't much.
    Welcome to the RTA world! I am fairly new myself, and also love the Griffin, so I pulled mine apart yesterday, and was determined to try and figure out why they seep from the bottom (and sometimes the top) of the the air control ring.
    9a00221a28258bbf2ae0e35c31263bff.jpg
    Bakseated1s good quality closeup pic shows exactly where the seeping occurs.
    I don't think it's only condensation, although I've noticed that vapour does escape through the AFC after a puff on it.

On a side note about vaping technique - do you continue to inhale after you have released the button on your mod, so as to clear any latent vapour, or do stop inhaling as you release the button and allow that vapour to sit inside the AFC?
    I only ask because this could be contributing to the issue - perhaps a modification of vape technique is called for with the Griffin - just my thoughts.

As for wicking technique - I wick mine (as I'm sure everyone else does) the same as Rip Tripper - which is really the only way to wick it - making sure the tails do not protrude far below the 'wick control ring'

Anyway, I digress, I have found that my AFC ring is slightly loose, and will move slightly when I pull it up or down - I think that this is where the issue is - I don't want to appear overly critical because it is my favourite RTA so far, and I appreciate that machining such tight tolerances isn't easy - but it has to be this 'slop' in the AFC that is causing liquid to 'wick' through the top and bottom of the AFC ring itself - like water will 'flow' between two sheets of glass when pressed together.
    I haven't yet been able to separate the build deck from the AFC/terminal section yet - I can't see how they are joined, though they are two separate components which are seemingly very tightly attached - I have managed to get a small amount of rotation between the two however.
    Maybe if I can separate them, there might be a way to tighten them up so as to take up the slack in the AFC ring....who knows.

If anyone wants to see pics, just say and I'll break out the camera :D

Last edited:

seek2

ECF Veteran
    May 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Snagged one of these last week. Finally did get around to playing with it yesterday.

Very nice tank. Got the black with the top air flow. Very large, but already knew that.

Only tried one build so far. Dual 24G kanthal 6 wraps 3.5mm ID. Ohms at .33. Vaping at 45-55 watts.

Great clouds. Wow. Juice destroyer.

The leaking complaints worry me. Has only been around 24 hours, so have yet to see any leaking.

Also, the opening and closing of the juice flow seems to be an odd design. If you grab the top knurl and spin it clockwise, it will keep going. Hopefully that process is not grinding down an oring.

First impressions are good. Will update if I any leaking comes around.

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    The leaking complaints worry me. Has only been around 24 hours, so have yet to see any leaking.
    Don't worry mate, I think this is a terrific tank, and besides the seeping (I wouldn't describe it as full-on leaking) I've been very happy with it - the seeping is merely mildly distracting and shouldn't be regarded as a deal-breaker.
    I don't have the top-air version though.
    seek2 said:
    Also, the opening and closing of the juice flow seems to be an odd design. If you grab the top knurl and spin it clockwise, it will keep going. Hopefully that process is not grinding down an oring.
    Indeed, the juice flow is a bit tricky at first - just make sure you always turn it clockwise (as you're looking down the tip) so you don't inadvertently unscrew the tank and dump the contents!! Although I'm sure you're already aware of this. :)

I think (hope) I can speak for @Steven Pye and @Haktuspit, in that we all agree this is an awesome tank which we are all very happy with - I just become a little obsessed with fit-n-finish sometimes....every appliance in my house has to undergo the 'bongo' test!! :D, not just vape gear!

Last edited:

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    I have a stainless steel single coil build in my Griff 25 at the moment. I love single coil tanks, but going from the smok tf-rdta with fused dual claptons and back to the Griffin with the ss316l single build leaves alot to be desired. Should have threw a twisted single stainless into it. I wanted to keep one tank with SS for TC purposes, otherwise i would have just put a clapton in the grifin, but why make the same build on every tank? Griffin just shines though with duals. Think i'm going to throw in dual twisted SS build into the griffin.

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    ....but why make the same build on every tank?
    I'm relatively new to the RTA scene, and since I only recently (a few months back) learned how to wind claptons efficiently, I throw them onto everything.
    I haven't begun to experiment with different builds yet, though I'm sure I will.

Also, I don't have any ohm testing meters yet, and through building few varying claptons, I have settled on a reliable resistance that won't stress any of my gear - I'm not into high wattage, super-sub-ohm stuff - maybe a little paranoia, but I don't want to even risk a battery blowing up in my face :D
    Though I have decided to replace all my Efests with LGs: - I just recently learned that a lot of Efests are re-wraps of sub quality prime brands - quite shocking that they can get away with this frankly.

chazz80 said:
    Griffin just shines though with duals.
    It absolutely does!!

So in summary, I'm not too adventurous, and maybe over cautious, but where's the harm in that? :D

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    Bongo... sub-ohming really has it's drawbacks. I got my smok tf-rdta with fused claptons (kanthal and nichrome) coming in at 0.35. The griffin with the single stainless steel build i have is coming in at 0.85 and let me tell you when i'm using my mod with the smok tank with the 0.35 build i'm charging two sets of 18650 batteries a DAY the way i vape, and thats running it at 50-55 watts. I go through 120ml of juice in about a week. I really need to cut down lol. Thats why i wanted to make the Griffin a higher ohm build, but i'm so use to the flavor the lower ohm build with the claptons producing and the amoiunt of vapor. If I put the griffin to anything above 35 watts and get the dry hit, which is weird cause it's like 9-10 wraps on 3.0 diameter, so it should take more watts then that. But anything lower wattage wise and the vapor is like a whisp, nothing there. It's a combo though of the dual claptons and low ohms that is killing my juice and batteries so fast. I gotta go dual stainless steel next build to conserve lol.

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    @chazz80, maybe I'm not as conservative as I first thought! :D
    My 'usual' build (32g/26g kanthal A1 claptons - 7 wraps each side) results in around 0.45 ohms, at 50 watts on my Chieftain (and also my Disguiser....unsurprisingly! :) )

And yes indeed, my juice consumption seems to go up daily....right now it's at about....erm....

....'phenomenally unsustainable' level! :D

But I do so love chucking big clouds!!
    Who doesn't right?
    Whaddyagonnado-huh? :D

**Edit** back on topic, I have a tankful of a new 80% VG juice I'm trying out in the Griffin, no seepage yet - just massive, blueberry donut clouds! :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: Steven Pye

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Regarding changing the way I vape... not gonna happen. I don't have the memory to even remember long enough to do this for a full tank, Lyme Disease. So how about you try and let me know? lol

I love these tanks, seeping and all (I agree we shouldn't call it leaking). Just ordered two more actually as I've been seeing them out of stock (top airflow type, I closed it to see if I needed it and it turns out I really like the top airflow) so if anyone sees a real good price let me know. Missed out on the $23 one's someone linked in my other thread. :-x

By the way I tried leaving the juice holes open for a fill just to see because I sensed I got the most seeping while closing them. Didn't help, still seeped, think even more so after I closed it all up. So yeah I tested that one for the team.

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    Regarding changing the way I vape... not gonna happen. I don't have the memory to even remember long enough to do this for a full tank, Lyme Disease. So how about you try and let me know? lol
    Sorry if it seemed like I was suggesting you personally change your technique, perhaps I should have phrased it differently - I was just thinking out loud....figuratively speaking! Lol
    I will try to remember to test this, but my memory isn't too good either! :D
    Not gonna build my hopes up however, I think it's probably a design issue with tolerances/sliding fit of the AFC components etc., it's no biggie though, like we all agree, this tank's too good to let a bit of seeping bother us! ;)
    Sorry to hear you have Lyme disease, nasty one that, and painful - stay strong brother :)

Last edited:

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    About that seeping. I've tried everything and it always happens. Like someone else said it sucks when you go and try and close the airflow and your fingers get drenched in juice/condensation. I noticed the seeping is really bad when you have the airflow closed off a bit, it just collects on the closed portion of the plastic until is starts leaking down, therfore i just keep the airflow open all the time.

I took my tank off the mod and pressed down on the top of the tank and the bottom by the 510 and you can actually see the seepage start to come out right below the knurling for the JFC (where you unscrew the deck and it meets the airflow control ring) I did the "keep inhaling after you let go of the fire button" till i was blue in the face, lol no dice. It's going to seep no matter what unfortunately.

Last edited:

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    Also a lot of people don't realize how to open the JFC on this thing and actually end up loosening the whole deck. You don't turn the knurling for the JFC, you should be grabbing the airflow ring until it doesn't turn to open/close the jfc. The knurling right above should NOT SPIN when opening the JFC. Not many youtubers actually show this when reviewing the tank for some reason. Regardless, mine doesn't seem to like to turn using that method, so i end up just looseing it with the knurling, only to close it off, then when i open it back up i make sure it nice and tight again and wont add to any seepage problems.

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    I agree chazz80 - I turn the JFC by gripping the glass tank, it's a bit stiff but it works for me.
    As for the 'inhaling-after-letting-go-of-the-button' technique, I've been giving it a try also - no seepage for me yet, but my tank has been dry for a couple of days, and I'm breaking in a new flavour of 80% VG - not sure if these factors will make a difference in the long run, but I'm on my second tankful so far.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I've been testing it too but I had enough seeping before I started that I can't tell if it's doing anything. One of my airflow holes is filled with a thin layer of juice (seen this a bunch) and it's not going anywhere.

Might have to re-wick to be able to contribute much more... or play with the other two when they arrive.

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
    Norfolk, England
    Haktuspit said:
    ....I had enough seeping before I started....
    Maybe a combination of a dry tank and 'inhaling-after-letting-go-of-the-button' is the answer - not sure I want to commit long term to the latter however, gonna be difficult to chop-n-change techniques for different tanks.

Haktuspit said:
    ....or play with the other two when they arrive.
    That right there is a solution, just buy more of them and rotate!! :D

To summarise: 'go in dry' or buy some more! ;)

Reactions: chazz80
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread