From anti-freeze to PURE NICOTINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just ran across this page.

Electronic Cigarette

"Electronic cigarette manufacturers publicize their product as the first healthy cigarette, free of the harmful chemicals and tar typically found in tobacco products. There is only one ingredient: pure liquid nicotine. " (Emphasis added)

The dreaded nicotine police have nothing better to do? The lies that the government is putting out there as truth are just criminal...if not, it should be.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Left this comment:

Those who make a living convincing you to spend your hard-earned money on FDA-approved nicotine weaning products that fail to work for 95% of users do not want you to look too closely at the scientific evidence. None of the references for the article "Electronic Cigarettes - Risky Business" lead to scientific evidence. They go to press releases, news stories, and the Surgeon General's Report that contains personal opinion not always backed up by solid scientific evidence.

Try these references:
Safety Report on the Ruyan® e-cigarette Cartridge and Inhaled Aerosol. Laugesen M, Health New Zealand Ltd. http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf
Ben Thomas Group report: No cancer-causing chemicals in NJOY vapor. http://www.casaa.org/files/Study_TSNAs_in_NJOY_Vapor.pdf
Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy for tobacco control. Cahn and Siegel . Journal of Public Health Policy. Centers and Institutes - Harvard School of Public Health population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf
Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) as potential tobacco harm reduction products. Heavner, K. et al. Tobacco Harm Reduction 2010 Yearbook. http://tobaccoharmreduction.org/wpapers/011v1.pdf
Electronic cigarettes as a smoking cessation tool. Siegel, Am Journal of Preventive Medicine. http://www.ajpm-online.net/webfiles/images/ journals/amepre/AMEPRE3013.pdf
A Clinical Laboratory Model for Evaluating the Acute Effects of Electronic “Cigarettes”. Vansickel AR, et al. Cancer Epidemiology, Bio. & Prevention http://www.casaa.org/files/Virgiania Commonwealth University Study.pdf
Effect of an E-Cigarette on Cravings and Withdrawal, Acceptability and Nicotine Delivery: Randomised Cross-Over Trial. Bullen, et al.
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/ecig_effect-2.pdf

Oh, and here is the reference for the scientific evidence that the FDA-approved nicotine products are very ineffective:
Moore D, Aveyard P, Connock, M, Wang D, Fry-Smith A, Barton P: Effectiveness and safety of nicotine replacement therapy assisted reduction to stop smoking: systematic
review and meta-analysis. BMJ 338:b1024 2009

So we have a product (e-cigarettes) that have not been proven harmful, that are effective for 79% as a complete substitute for smoking, and that result in health improvements for 90% of users (see Heavner ref), and you recommend that our men and women in uniform stick with the products that are 5% effective--because the FDA approved them. The FDA also approved Chantix. Compare the track record of e-cigarettes (zero deaths, no serious adverse events reported) with the track record of Chantix (thousands of adverse events, hundreds of suicides, pilots and truck drivers are not allowed to use.)

Here's a novel idea: Why don't you ask the solders and sailors who use e-cigarettes how well the products worked for them, what the effect on their health has been and how they compare to other products and methods they tried.

My comment's first sentence is a rewrite of one of the sentences in the article:

Those who make a living convincing you to spend your hard-earned money on these and other products do not want you to look too closely at the scientific evidence.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Anyone had a chat with one of their "trained counsellors" through the live help?

I actually did have a "chat" with "a trained counselor" who ended up becoming frustrated when I asked why they wouldn't answer my question. Here is a transcript of that chat.
Sorry it is in long form couldn't load a zip file from my mac!

cigarbabe: I'm wondering about ecigs
11:17 AM Agent2: Hello!
11:17 AM cigarbabe: what can you tell me about them
11:18 AM Agent2: Okay. I can certainly find you some information on the web...We don't promote any type of tobacco/nicotine use
11:18 AM cigarbabe: well then what do you do?
11:18 AM Agent2: We encourage and support quitting tobacco.
11:18 AM cigarbabe: and why am I talking to you?
11:19 AM Agent2: I can certainly help you quit tobacco. And would love to provide you with information toward that end.
11:19 AM cigarbabe: you can help me quit by what means?
11:20 AM Agent2: We offer an online, self-paced quit tobacco program called Train2Quit. And our Live Chat is available for all military personnel and their dependents and VA benefits enrolled personnel.
11:21 AM cigarbabe: How truthful is the article I am reading on your website about ecigs?
11:21 AM Agent2: We research all of the information for our website throroughly.
11:21 AM cigarbabe: Need2Know?
11:21 AM Agent2: You can trust that information.
11:22 AM cigarbabe: really?
11:22 AM Agent2: Absolutely.
11:22 AM cigarbabe: it is absolutely 100% truthful ?
11:22 AM Agent2: According to scientific studies and current trends, yes.
11:24 AM cigarbabe: according to the studies I read 16 of them, ecigs are 99% safer than tobacco smoking and your article certainly doesn't reflect any of those studies, only a press release put out by the FDA, why is that?
11:25 AM cigarbabe: I would like to know whom is lying here? This website, or the FDA who's views you are stating. Or ecig manufacturers?
11:25 AM cigarbabe: I need to quit in a way that is least harmful to myself
11:25 AM Agent2: We don't promote any use of nicotine.
11:26 AM cigarbabe: you keep saying that but not answering my questions why is that?
11:26 AM Agent2: that is certainly your choice and quitting tobacco is always a great idea!
11:27 AM cigarbabe: this site promotes the use of "FDA Approved" patches, gums, inhalers, but not nicotine in those devices?
11:29 AM Agent2: Because the FDA has not approved ecigs for quitting tobacco use we don't promote the use of them.
11:29 AM cigarbabe: this articles also states that the FDA isn't confiscating those devices but that isn't true according to a court case I just read about, yet you say this article is 100% truthful.
11:29 AM Agent2: Our online program is devised to help you come up with ideas for quitting, develop a plan, and find local resources.
11:30 AM cigarbabe: really?
11:30 AM cigarbabe: What local agency can point me towards getting the help you don't give
11:31 AM Agent2: We hope to provide a positive source of information regarding quitting tobacco. Thanks so much for choosing Quit Tobacco, Make Everyone Proud! And good luck in your efforts to quit.
11:31 AM cigarbabe: what a liar!
11:31 AM Agent2: Our online, free program - Train2Quit is available to help you create a Quit Plan and beyond.

This transcript was delivered to you courtesy of Velaro, Inc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread