• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Former U.S. surgeon general joining board of electronic cigarette maker NJOY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
Good find Wiz62

Well, I for one find this very interesting. This is certainly a move that will catch the ANTI's by surprise. Matter of fact, I think they'll be thoroughly ....... I can only hope that Richard Carmona is sincere in his approach to this. On face value, if he is truly interested in reducing smoking rates even if it means supporting electronic cigarettes, then he is got my blessing. But, part of me is still skeptical, will have to see how this plays out. Hopefully he sees the true value in harm reduction. I can't imagine njoy placing a guy like him in that position if they thought he would work against them.

Ayce

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2011
Saint John NB Canada
A couple of things stick out to me.

1: “Definitely there’s an argument that can be made for harm reduction, but clearly more research needs to be done,” Carmona said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I’m probably going to be (the company’s) biggest critic. ... I still look at my job as being a doctor of the people and I’m going to look at the science. ... If we can find a viable alternative that gave us harm reduction as people are withdrawing from nicotine, I’m happy to engage in that science and see if we can do that.”

2: “We still have one out of five people in America smoking ... there’s a lot more work to do,” Carmona said. “To dismiss (e-cigarettes) and not even consider it ... would be a disservice to the public who are looking for alternatives.”

It's a good start.

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada
Actually, it's a big strategic move for NJOY. I usually don't like the politics of things, but when you look at what is coming up in the States..

It's a great advantage to have him on the BoD, when the FDA start to really look into regulating the e-cig market, It will be an advantage for NJOY to be able to get this guy to have the FDA lean toward "highly regulated" e-cig, which NJOY can do! and unfortunately which lots of small e-cigs stores can't do... regulate their products.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
Actually, it's a big strategic move for NJOY. I usually don't like the politics of things, but when you look at what is coming up in the States..

It's a great advantage to have him on the BoD, when the FDA start to really look into regulating the e-cig market, It will be an advantage for NJOY to be able to get this guy to have the FDA lean toward "highly regulated" e-cig, which NJOY can do! and unfortunately which lots of small e-cigs stores can't do... regulate their products.

Yes Regzzz. I can see the day when you can only buy pre-filled carto's. This guy can play a big role in that matter. We will be able to enjoy (no pun intended) e-cigs, but on their terms.

metropolitan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
new york city
now this is the correct way to deal with the politics of ecigs. get people of importance and of reputation on your side (even if you have to buy them).
great move by NJoy. this is how you manage progress in the regulatory market; not by demonizing the regulators but by finding and nurturing the voices of those inside the system that can come to your side.

metropolitan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
new york city
“When he comes on board, it’s very hard for anti-tobacco people who see themselves as health campaigners to simply oppose e-cigarettes. They have to deal with the fact that one of the leaders of their community not only is supporting e-cigarettes but is willing to be on the board of directors of the biggest e-cigarette company,” said David Sweanor, a Canadian law professor and tobacco expert who consults with companies and others on industry issues.

Read more: Former U.S. surgeon general joining board of electronic cigarette maker NJOY

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
Yep, and unfortunately, also at their prices and taxes.... (can you see the "underground" black market poising itself?)

Most definitely! In the UK, there was a politician who stated that if they tried to regulate e-cigs too much, it would create the biggest black market that England has ever seen.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
now this is the correct way to deal with the politics of ecigs. get people of importance and of reputation on your side (even if you have to buy them).
great move by NJoy. this is how you manage progress in the regulatory market; not by demonizing the regulators but by finding and nurturing the voices of those inside the system that can come to your side.

Totally agree - this is a very slick move by NJoy.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I, like most rational folks, won't mind a small amount of regulation, and can accept paying a small tax. (already paying HST on things bought locally, anyway.)

What I don't want to see is draconian regulation and high taxes. This will drive a black market. Just look at res smokes. :glare:

:2c:

Rez juice anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread