• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Former Submariner Here -- Just curious about vaping these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatmonkey

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
InACity
Hi All.

Former MM2(SS) here.

When I was in (early-mid 90's) they were just beginning to start seriously discouraging tobacco use. I served with folks who remembered being able to smoke on crew's mess, and some of them served with folks who remembered being able to smoke in your rack. (IIRC the ashtrays were still in many racks, though it was clear that there would have been swift punishment for lighting up there.)

For submarines, they left a lot of this up to the individual CO. Although we were very limited regarding where we could smoke, it wasn't fully banned, and I was always super thankful for this.

My understanding is that it's gotten to be much more restrictive. But, I'd been thinking lately that if I'd had my vaping rig back then it would have been great -- I could realistically have vaped just about anyplace on the boat I wanted to, either because it wasn't smoking or because no one would have smelled it.

So -- for those of you on boats where the smoking lamp is never lit -- are you allowed to vape?

Last edited:

Chief Cuzzo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
a guy on ecf whos job was to clean and ready submarines to go out was vaping below deck and got fired. fyi.

Interesting, My current CMC is a 8x COB and I am a former Bubble Head turned recruiter. We just had a conversation about using E-cigs underway the way he was talking lots of people are using them. I also have a friend that just got back from a deployment on a fast boat out of Norfolk and it was allowed for them underway? Maybe up to the CO's discretion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread