Flavors and TH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
IN, USA
I was a menthol analog smoker, and I use menthol as my ADV. I have wanted to try different flavors like the fruity and dessert type liquids, so I got a few bottles of various flavors. But so far, unless its menthol or menthol based, I get zero TH from any of them. Is this normal with flavored liquid?? I can taste them, and I get vapor, but I feel nothing in my throat.
The one exception is Vanilla Bliss from Hoosier Vapes that I get from my local B&M store, and I think that's because it has a slight tobacco undertone, which seems to give it some TH.

So, I have basically decided to stop wasting money and just stick with menthol juices. At least you can get a variety of menthol based flavors (I'm currently waiting on the Halo menthol sampler to arrive) but I'm disappointed that none of the others give a satisfying experience.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Throat hit is provided mostly by nicotine. PG allows more of the TH from the nicotine through and VG mutes it to a degree. No additives can duplicate the TH from nicotine. But menthol probably comes the closes in providing a throat sensation that does not burn and irritate like some of the other "so-called" throat hit additives and thus is closer to the TH from nicotine.

Since you smoked menthol analogs, it's natural to associate the "feel" of menthol flavored eliquid as part of the smoking experience. It makes sense for you to stick with the menthol. You can also add some menthol eliquid to what ever flavor eliquid you try so you can have a new flavor but with a menthol feel.

Amy87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
IN, USA
Throat hit is provided mostly by nicotine. PG allows more of the TH from the nicotine through and VG mutes it to a degree. No additives can duplicate the TH from nicotine. But menthol probably comes the closes in providing a throat sensation that does not burn and irritate like some of the other "so-called" throat hit additives and thus is closer to the TH from nicotine.

Since you smoked menthol analogs, it's natural to associate the "feel" of menthol flavored eliquid as part of the smoking experience. It makes sense for you to stick with the menthol. You can also add some menthol eliquid to what ever flavor eliquid you try so you can have a new flavor but with a menthol feel.

Thanks for the info on nic levels! I knew that PG was better for TH, but I really wasn't sure how the nic level affected it. I know I started out with some lower level nic juices, simply because my analogs were always light versions, so maybe thats part of it. I have since been ordering higher nic levels. And your comment about mixing, that's pretty much what Ive been doing to try and use up some of the flavors. I do get some TH from them if I spike them with menthol.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thanks for the info on nic levels! I knew that PG was better for TH, but I really wasn't sure how the nic level affected it. I know I started out with some lower level nic juices, simply because my analogs were always light versions, so maybe thats part of it. I have since been ordering higher nic levels. And your comment about mixing, that's pretty much what Ive been doing to try and use up some of the flavors. I do get some TH from them if I spike them with menthol.

If you use 18 - 24mg nic level eliquid, you will definitely get a nice throat hit and won't need any menthol to supplement it.

boomhower1820

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
NC
Stick with menthol vapes. I am very similar in that I was a menthol smoker and for me if there is no TH the juice is unvapable. I don't care how good the flavor is if there isn't any TH it is useless to me. I'm down to 6mg and still get decent enough TH from a variety of menthol juices. It's not knock you down hit but enough to get that satisfaction. It's the same from various vendors, menthol in the correct amount gives decent TH.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Well...actually, I think the best TH is achieved by having just enough nicotine and PG %. These %'s must fit YOU. I've had plenty 24mg 100% VG that had very little TH.

Many people can't tolerate too much nic, so they just up their PG %, or... they can't tolerate too much PG, so they up the nic. Just find the sweet-spot that works for you... The perfect combination of nicotine and PG is where it's at!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread