First Duel Coil Build Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTimeNow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
Henderson, NV
So I'm experimenting on RDA builds. I first built a single coil, #26 wire, 8 wraps around a 3/32 hex wrench(its what I had). Tested out at 1.06 ohms. Coil heated up fairly fast with a fasttech 30 amp battery and seemed to vape ok.
Next I put another coil on it, same wraps etc. and the ohms are now at .52 which I think probably means I built it darn close to the first. Seems to vape a little warmer with more flavorful taste but does take much longer to heat the coils.
Is this what I should expect with a double coil? If I used smaller gage wire could I use a single coil build and if so would that be better? Or would the build deliver more flavor with two coils using smaller gage wire OR do I have it all mixed up?

As you can tell, I'm pretty darn new at all this. Thanks

Last edited:

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
A tip would be wrap the coils with the same gauge and at the same time. When you are done you need to pulse them (push the button with no wick) and pinch them together with tweezers. You want them both to glow inside out and evenly. Also you should look into a new battery probably. Don't trust a fasttech battery because it could be a counterfeit and not nearly safe. Recommend going to RTDVapor, Lighthound or Orbtronics for all batteries.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Your battery from Fasttech might be fine, but definitely check it out. Which one is it?

Also remember if you're going to squeeze the coils with tweezers DON'T do so at the same time as you're firing the device (unless you have non conductive tweezers like ceramic).

To answer your other questions is a bit tricky, it's partly down to personal preference whether you use a dual coil or single coil, or the guage of wire etc. Experiment and see what you find. In general though I would expect single coils to heat up quicker, although obviously dual coils have more area in contact with juice etc etc.

FreeTimeNow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
Henderson, NV
Your battery from Fasttech might be fine, but definitely check it out. Which one is it?

Also remember if you're going to squeeze the coils with tweezers DON'T do so at the same time as you're firing the device (unless you have non conductive tweezers like ceramic).

To answer your other questions is a bit tricky, it's partly down to personal preference whether you use a dual coil or single coil, or the guage of wire etc. Experiment and see what you find. In general though I would expect single coils to heat up quicker, although obviously dual coils have more area in contact with juice etc etc.
Thanks for the input. It's a Fasttech 1600 30amp

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Sounds good. A dual will split the resistance in half, as it look like you know. Point 52 is a nice warm vape.

26 does take a little time to get to full heat. 28 would heat up quicker and give you a faster response time. It would require maybe 1 or 2 LESS wraps to get "about" the same resistance, you would have to experiment. There is also Steam Engine dot org. If you are good with measuring stuff this website can help you dial your coils in to within a fraction of an ohm quite easily. I used it last night, wanted .6 and got .67....... :?)

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Once you get into subohm and below, battery safety becomes the primary issue. If you could post a link to the exact battery you bought you could get some solid feedback on it. Sounds like a Sony VTC but I should`nt assume anything when it comes to batteries. They are that important.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread