Finally started building great coils for Kayfun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyyodar

Dec 30, 2013
Colorado
hey guys I haven't posted in a while because I've focused on getting better builds with my kayfun through trial and error.

I bought the kayfun about 2mos ago and the pre built coils hit great. after I ran out i attempted to build the coil myself after watching a few you tube videos on builds. After a lot of bust ranging from shorting my batt to poor vapor production at low ohms I was getting very frustrated. on a whim i decided to build my coils using a q-tip(cotton swab) because of how small the coil would be. with a few other tricks ; lifting the coil high off the table and heating the coil (before inserting cotton/silica) and squeezing the coils together with tweezers to get them tight. I have finally built coils that are consistently putting out great production.
When I first bought the Kayfun I thought I had made a mistake because vapor was poor. But right now this thing is definitely worth the investment. Over the last week I have had the best vaping experience since I started, vaping at 2.1 Ohms on a mech mod with plenty of Vapor.

YuckMan

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Minnesota
Using a Q-tip as a mandrel will result in about a 2.5MM coil which is also right about where I like to build mine. Glad you found a method that works for you.

I have used 30ga kanthal at 7-8 wraps, and 32ga at 5-6 wraps. Usually comes out somewhere between 1.8 and 2.1 ohms. Both gauges perform pretty similar and are good producers anywhere from 3.5v all the way to 6v. The Provari refuses to fire the lower ohm ones sometimes at about 5.6V. The vapor production doesn't seem to increase with voltage(actually seems to drop off some), so I usually just stick around 4v with them and find that I like it a lot. OP said mech mod, so he's probably around 3.7V or 6.5Watts most of the time. Definitely wouldn't call it cloud chasing, but it produces a nice flavorful vape and an amount of vapor that emulates an analog, if not a bit more.

Last edited:

WileECoyote

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2013
Woodbridge, VA, USA
www.zidrate.com
I hate reading posts like these. Ran home from work to build another cable. I was running a double barrel nano 30ga at 1 ohm on my mvp. it was ok, but it hit me, 1 ohm is too low because the mvp tops out at 3 amps so I can get any fine tuning out of her. I just built a 1.6 ohm micro 30 ga on a 20 ga needle. Now after reading this, I wanna build again! Thanks OP! I was no so impressed with mine but after building today's coil, I am pretty happy. I took an hour just to set it right and prime this thing. But, well worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread