FDA sends letter to e-cigarette company(ies) requesting info on adverse events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone say for sure that the e-cig in the picture is even an e-cig at all??

To me, it looks like it could be an analog. In that case, the pic could be a satirical photo or meant to convey a subliminal message to the uninitiated masses.
Like "E-cigarette or real cigarette. No difference".
Or am I giving the FDA more credit than it deserves?

I strongly suspect that it is one of the actual e-cigarettes the FDA used in their preliminary tests on SmokingEverywhere & njoy's cartridges. On the same page there is a photo of the FDA finding... nothing but a small percentage of nicotine in the actual vapor.

I tend to doubt that those presumably intelligent researchers were that pathetically ignorant of the product they were testing to not know how stupid they were making themselves look by cramming a plastic cartridge into a battery charger. However, I don't doubt the FDA is VERY good about crafting press releases like this specifically designed to give as little factual information as needed to support their agenda and admit to knowing NOTHING else so they can't get backed into a corner before they can figure out a better excuse. If the letter in this thread is any indicator, I suspect that the FDA is not any closer to finding any actual adverse effects of e-cigarette use, but who knows...maybe they have something up their sleeves and they're just playing stupid. Based on the picture in this press release, I'd believe it: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM173430.pdf

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Can anyone say for sure that the e-cig in the picture is even an e-cig at all??

I can say with reasonable certainty it's a DSE901 with the cartridge removed and the addy stuck in the charger. The Desan DSC901-C charger looks identical to this, and the power supply was direct to the mains, as in no usb dongle like on more modern units. They clearly went out of their way to get this shot, so either they wanted it to look that way, or they honestly didn't have clue one how to charge the e-cigarette.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
One of the products they tested was njoy and that looks very much like an NJOY NPRO with the cartridge inserted into the charger. I've never seen one with an atomizer that's colored to look like a cigarette filter.

But to address the document that Thulium linked:

The agency is concerned that
• e-cigarettes can increase nicotine addiction among young people and may lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death
• the products may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans

Did they say that "e-cigarettes increase nicotine addiction" and that the "products contain toxic ingredients"?

They know that's how the public will read it, but FDA can waffle out of any liability if a company comes back and says "You lied about addiction and toxic ingredients."

All the agency needs to do is point out, "All we said was that we were CONCERNED that they CAN increase addiction and that they MAY contain toxic ingredients. We never said that they actually DO."

As for me, I am concerned that the FDA may lie to the public, that they could approve drugs that are dangerous, and that they might remove safe and effective products from the market because they endanger the profits of the companies making the ineffective and dangerous products.

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
One of the products they tested was NJOY and that looks very much like an NJOY NPRO with the cartridge inserted into the charger. I've never seen one with an atomizer that's colored to look like a cigarette filter.

NJOY PRO Wall charger

Silly me, I was unaware RN4081s were out at the same time period these chargers were being produced.

Njoypro Kit

You're right, the classic "mini cigarette" used a white atomizer with a orange cartridge. But both near as I'm aware didn't use a decal covered atty. So maybe they took the Smoking Everywhere e-cig and put it on the NJoyPro charger with the carto. attached.

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
One of the products they tested was NJOY and that looks very much like an NJOY NPRO with the cartridge inserted into the charger. I've never seen one with an atomizer that's colored to look like a cigarette filter.

NJOY PRO Wall charger

Silly me, I was unaware RN4081s were out at the same time period these chargers were being produced.

Njoypro Kit

You're right, the classic "mini cigarette" used a white atomizer with a orange cartridge. But both near as I'm aware didn't use a decal covered atty. So maybe they took the Smoking Everywhere e-cig and put it on the NJoyPro charger with the carto. attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread