FDA funded Tom Eissenberg urges policy makers to consider imposing nicotine limits on vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
What has confounded me since I got involved with this EC subject 11 months ago is the behavior of the medical research community. There must be lots of people in medicine who hope ECs are as good as they appear to be. May be we don't hear so much from them because, being the good scientists that they are, they do their work, mind their knitting like they are supposed to. The bad scientists doing the bad science are the ones who step out of character and try to manipulate and scare us. It's the job of politicians, not scientists, to lie and manipulate.

The FDA has authorized $275 million in grants for electronic cigarettes research. It is just a long process. It will be years until any studies are concluded...

Grants: Research Portfolio ‒ FDA NIH Tobacco Product Regulation | NIH Office of Disease Prevention (ODP)

What is shocking is some of these 'studies' sound like they would take a week, or so to complete, yet cost $250000 or more...

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolT

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The FDA has authorized $275 million in grants for electronic cigarettes research. It is just a long process. It will be years until any studies are concluded...
Tell them to throw some of that at Dr. F, oops, never mind, he's the only researcher on this topic I trust.

I think they won't be satisfied until they find something bad. Is $275 million enough?

Reactions: stevegmu

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Tell them to throw some of that at Dr. F, oops, never mind, he's the only researcher on this topic I trust.

I think they won't be satisfied until they find something bad. Is $275 million enough?

Anyone can apply for a grant; getting one is the hard part. Usually involves hiring a grant writer and connections. There's a reason why you see a lot of the same names getting large grants. A lot of 'researchers' make a living of it...

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI

Grants: Research Portfolio ‒ FDA NIH Tobacco Product Regulation | NIH Office of Disease Prevention (ODP)

What is shocking is some of these 'studies' sound like they would take a week, or so to complete, yet cost $250000 or more...
What's also shocking is the number of familiar names from Stanton Glantz and his cronies at UC-SF.

Also note that many are funded by the "Office of the Director." It's a special slush fund that means they bypass regular scientific review (not that that is any good anyhow).

And in case you still don't realize, I'll say it louder:

THE GAME IS RIGGED.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've felt for a while that governments fund so much science that it's corrupting the process. Bad science is worse than no science. Some of my best days have been as a garage inventor. Having to spend your own money helps the creative process a lot. This is the perfect moment to observe that EC (ecigs) did not come from an NIH research grant or a gigantic pharma lab but from a Chinese garage inventor in China. What he came up with is one of the great medical achievements of the last 100 years and it will save more lives for less money that all those NIH labs and big pharma patented poisons put together.

In Eisenhower's farewell speech he pointed at two concerns for the future of the United States of America.
The first was the Military Industril Complex.
The second was the influence of government and other bodies on science.

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades.
In this revolution, research has become central, it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.
The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocation, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded.

Eisenhower's farewell address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
What's also shocking is the number of familiar names from Stanton Glantz and his cronies at UC-SF.

Also note that many are funded by the "Office of the Director." It's a special slush fund that means they bypass regular scientific review (not that that is any good anyhow).

And in case you still don't realize, I'll say it louder:

THE GAME IS RIGGED.

Grants are big money. There was a university in Washington DC a few years ago which spent a lot of money to get a grant from the Department Of Agriculture for a study, which they ended up getting. Oddly, there are absolutely no farms in Washington DC and the school didn't even have an agriculture department...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread