Fasttech selling counterfeit items. Say it isn't so. (a bit long in the tooth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I bought two Protank Mini's from fasttech (Version 1, non replaceable glass) within 36 hours one of them had cracked in half while sitting on my night stand. I got it returned and received a replacement. A month later my second tank from them cracked as well.

Now I know why. I suspect they were knock offs. How do I know? Well because I got some authentic Protank Mini's and compared them to my last remaining "fasttech" Protank.

I have to give it to them...the knockoffs are pretty good and I would have never suspected. And I would have never known if it weren't for the great folks at sun-vapers. I know that sun-vapers is an authentic Kanger dealer and has a close relationship with the manufacturer, so I trust them.

I was hesitant about ordering the removable glass Protank Mini 2 because I thought the glueless construction would introduce leakage. Well the support representative at sun-vapers made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Purchase a Protank Mini 2, and he would throw in two Protank Mini I's that he had left over in stock but had since discontinued. I could compare them myself. 3 tanks for the price of one? How could I pass that up?

So I got them and put them in my drawer as backups. I hadn't even thought of them, that is, until the second "fasttech" tank cracked. Surely Kanger products can't be so poor.

Well they're not. And here's some photos to back up my suspicions. In each picture You'll see the "fasttech" version I got on the LEFT. The authentic kit I got from Sun-Vapers is on the RIGHT.

Below is the back of the box. The "fasttech" version's printing is not as sharp and does not include the Invention Patent on it:
View attachment 276346

Now a picture of the "instruction card" contained in each. Note the "fasttech" version does not have the numbers in the photos.
View attachment 276351

The most damning of all, is comparision of the tanks themselves. The authentic protank mini is slightly taller. The authentic one has more exposed "glass" (that is the glass section is taller), and the KangerTech etching on the base is actually more pronounced on the authentic piece.
mini protank.jpg

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem ordering a "knockoff" as long as I know it is a knockoff. But the listing for this device mentions that it is an actual Kanger product and as you can see it's packaged as an authentic Kanger product.

$10.97 Authentic Mini Protank Clearomizer with Pyrex Glass Tank (1.5mL) - translucent / 2.5

Perhaps Fasttech got bad product from one of their suppliers. However it's fairly evident they aren't buying directly from the manufacturer. Suffice it to say Fasttech has just received my last dollar.

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Fasttech sells both original and clone gear. Generally, they are fairly good about not showing a brand name unless it is the genuine article. All I can recommend is that care should be taken when ordering anything from FT. I have 15 very successful orders from them, and will use them again. At the moment, I have two shipments due from them. One from September, and one from November 4, 2013. Hopefully, they'll show up soon. Mine are in the Singapore Post and I can't track them, or find them, and FT has open tickets on both, and suggests I wait patiently for another two weeks. Okie, dokie.....I'm going to wait a while before I sent them another order. Generally, though, I've been very happy with the quality of gear I've gotten from FT. You just have to check the Forum for specific products to see what others' experiences are in regards to any item you may consider purchasing from them. good luck!

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Yes, most of what they sell are knock-offs. Not counterfeit, though. If you are in doubt when looking at items, only the ones that say "Authentic" in the title are the real thing. A lot of people order from them and are happy with the product, because they know that for the most part they are disposable items and work well. For the ones that don't, most people also understand that they are getting knock-offs at very low prices, and that they may lose a little money on something that's DOA or breaks quicky. I myself have only recently placed an order for 1 item that is authentic, knowing that it will take a long time to get here. There have been problems with hold ups and seizures in customs, so I expect to wait for a while. I also didn't get the color I wanted, but for the price I can't complain.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
First, none of your attachments are working for me.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem ordering a "knockoff" as long as I know it is a knockoff. But the listing for this device mentions that it is an actual Kanger product and as you can see it's packaged as an authentic Kanger product.

$10.97 Authentic Mini Protank Clearomizer with Pyrex Glass Tank (1.5mL) - translucent / 2.5

Perhaps Fasttech got bad product from one of their suppliers. However it's fairly evident they aren't buying directly from the manufacturer. Suffice it to say Fasttech has just received my last dollar.

Second, no where in that listing does it say it's an actual Kanger product, like you surmise. You can tell by looking at the listing that it's a knockoff.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I won't order from FastTech, takes too long, too many variables, overseas,
and I want to support US companies as much as possible.
If there is something special you want,, see if you can find a state side vendor that will order it for you.

90% of all vape gear comes from China. Buying much of the gear stateside only enriches the distributor at usually double the price, and doesn't get you any better gear. The tradeoff is the time that the free shipping takes to get here. On probably about 100 items, I found it totally acceptable to wait two weeks or so for paying half the price. Buying these same products stateside is fine, as long as you understand that the only person that is losing in the transaction is you. Most of my gear is made in Europe and is not any less expensive no matter where I buy it from these days. Different Strokes though for different folks. YMMV. Good luck!

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
90% of all vape gear comes from China. Buying much of the gear stateside only enriches the distributor at usually double the price, and doesn't get you any better gear. The tradeoff is the time that the free shipping takes to get here. On probably about 100 items, I found it totally acceptable to wait two weeks or so for paying half the price. Buying these same products stateside is fine, as long as you understand that the only person that is losing in the transaction is you. Most of my gear is made in Europe and is not any less expensive no matter where I buy it from these days. Different Strokes though for different folks. YMMV. Good luck!

I do not consider it a loss. I may pay more but I get my orders in less than a week. To me that is worth it. I do not have the patience to wait for mail from China. Or stress that it will get confiscated.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Been mentioning that in another post, related to another thread - check the adresses of e-cig makers. They're *all* located in Shenzhen. Could well be that with e-cigs it's the same story as it was with the ole VHS VCR's. For the younger among you, VCR aka video recorder was the precursor of the CD..., a paperback sized black plastic cartridge with two spools and a magnetic tape in it, all analog technology. Although there were dozens of different brands of these VCR'S they all rolled off the assembly line of just three factories. The innards were identical to the last screw, jst the body had the different logos plus some variations in design.
Place an order large enough ( couple of thousand items ) and they'll 'brand' it with your own logo...

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere

Which is the attitude that has made the whole Made in America slogan completely and utterly moot over the last 30 years.
Which is why, you will see mom and pop shops start to disappear. I am sure they will thank you for that.

I am getting a Provari this Christmas, simply because I want one, and because it is Proudly Made in the USA.
I would like to see more tanks and items similar to the Nova made here in the US, I would buy them.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Fasttech sells both original and clone gear. Generally, they are fairly good about not showing a brand name unless it is the genuine article. All I can recommend is that care should be taken when ordering anything from FT. I have 15 very successful orders from them, and will use them again. At the moment, I have two shipments due from them. One from September, and one from November 4, 2013. Hopefully, they'll show up soon. Mine are in the Singapore Post and I can't track them, or find them, and FT has open tickets on both, and suggests I wait patiently for another two weeks. Okie, dokie.....I'm going to wait a while before I sent them another order. Generally, though, I've been very happy with the quality of gear I've gotten from FT. You just have to check the Forum for specific products to see what others' experiences are in regards to any item you may consider purchasing from them. good luck!

SLB batteries are knockoffs. They don't carry the logo and don't work as well. Even items marked as "original" are not. I'm not buying anything more from them except the occasional driptip or some other unimportant thing.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
First, none of your attachments are working for me.

Second, no where in that listing does it say it's an actual Kanger product, like you surmise. You can tell by looking at the listing that it's a knockoff.

It did say Kanger and listed Kanger as the manufacturer when I ordered them. They have since changed their listing. Also the box, etching on the product and included instruction card has KangerTech name and logo all over it.

I imagine someone complained to Kanger and Kanger made them stop using their name.

Plus when you do a search on Kanger on their , this listing is one that appears.

Obviously when someone lists the product as an authentic protank mini, you expect an authentic protank mini.

Here are the photos again.
Box Rear.jpg instruction card.jpg mini protank.jpg

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Obviously when someone lists the product as an authentic protank mini, you expect an authentic protank mini.

Which is what you received. It's just not an authentic Kanger version. The terms protank and mini are not trademarked by Kanger. I'll take your word for it that the listing used to say Kanger, but it doesn't any more and you can tell by looking at the pictures on that listing that it's not a Kanger Protank.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Which is what you received. It's just not an authentic Kanger version. The terms protank and mini are not trademarked by Kanger. I'll take your word for it that the listing used to say Kanger, but it doesn't any more and you can tell by looking at the pictures on that listing that it's not a Kanger Protank.

So if the box itself has KangerTech listed all over it, the instruction manual has KangerTech listed on it, and the actual unit has KangerTech listed etched in it, you still don't think it is misrepresented?

I was willing to give FT the benefit of the doubt until you showed me how they now "whited out" the KangerTech name from their pictures and removed the words Kanger from the listing.

Believe me, I would never have ordered if I had known it was a fake. I avoided their "evods" because they didn't list Kanger as the manufacturer.

Lesson learned. One good thing happened. I found Sun-Vapers and am very satisfied with them. I'm just glad I didn't order my Itaste vv3 from them.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
So if the box itself has KangerTech listed all over it, the instruction manual has KangerTech listed on it, and the actual unit has KangerTech listed etched in it, you still don't think it is misrepresented?

Well, it doesn't necessarily matter what's on the box as you're buying the product (not the box), so misrepresentation is a stretch unless you're buying it from a B&M based on the box. And for all we know, these are Kanger products, they're just factory seconds they sell to FT.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Well, it doesn't necessarily matter what's on the box as you're buying the product (not the box), so misrepresentation is a stretch unless you're buying it from a B&M based on the box. And for all we know, these are Kanger products, they're just factory seconds they sell to FT.

I get what your saying...I'm glad I found out on something as "harmless" as a tank. I shutter to think what would have happened if I bought my itaste vv3 from them.

"Wow...The flavor on this thing is amaz.....BANG!!!!..... (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread