Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Oh, come on. We still build, just much less frequently. Erl's got to ride! :headbang:
Get him a bike and that's that. And a helmet. And flashing lites.
The word "Begrudgingly" belongs somewhere in that sentence. :lol:

FTFY.

PS. The first build was 2/27/16. So much for my BEGRUDGINGLY math.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I have a few tfv 12s and tons of coils for them plus a few other coils for other tanks. These are put aside for when I get too old to build. My eyesight is already going. In the meantime, I prefer to build with the Dead Rabbit being my favorite.
I still have a dead rabbit. Can't beat em for easy building.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
This thread is intended for people to provide their input as to whether they prefer sub ohm tanks that house factory coil heads or whether they prefer rebuildable RTA /RDA tanks and WHY do you prefer one over the other.

RBAs for me, they allow skilled users the opportunity to fully customize their vaping experience. They can also help render the end user tax/regulation and ban proof. I use a 0.2 ohm dual coil multi-core fused Clapton setup wicked with organic Japanese cotton for vaping custom made hybrid (flavored) NETs. In the beginning I built my own coils, but years ago I ran across Vandy Vape "prebuilt" coils. Liked them so much I bought a huge quantity from a Chinese vendor while they were on-sale and paid less than a quarter per coil through bulk pricing. I bought a lifetime's worth, I'll never need to buy coils again. No vaping taxes, adult signature shipping fees, worry about vaping bans or in-person purchase requirements, I've got what I need on-hand. Costs about three cents to just re-wick and less than fifty cents when I completely re-build one of my dual coil RBAs and those costs will never go up. I also Stockpiled the Mods and RBAs I liked which turns out was a good thing since I don't really care for what's currently available.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I prolly have no place in this thread, Axiom. ;)

Kat, of course you have a place in the thread! I am glad to hear you are back to popping in coil heads. Some of the new ones I have tried are awesome for flavor....... I am cheap, so I will stick with my rebuildable atomizers LOL ......

The coil heads in the TFV 18 tank are HUGE and the size of some whole tanks and they cost a boat load of money...

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    RBA's for me as well. I do have some tanks and plenty of factory coils in my stash.

I agree..... I build on RDAs and RTAs and probably will never change.... Personally for me, it gets old building and wicking but some folks sort of enjoy it.....

RDAs are probably my favorite because they produce intense flavor plus they are inexpensive to build on...... The problem with dual coil RDAs and RTAs is that you have to vape them with lots of power and go through a lot of juice...... I am currently checking out a few single coil RTAs in which I can run at a lower wattage (say 35 - 60watts) and will still possess good flavor but I can't seem to decide between several of them.... I could get a single coil RDA but I want a single coil RTA with an enclosed tank.... Suggestions welcome.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I agree..... I build on RDAs and RTAs and probably will never change.... Personally for me, it gets old building and wicking but some folks sort of enjoy it.....

RDAs are probably my favorite because they produce intense flavor plus they are inexpensive to build on...... The problem with dual coil RDAs and RTAs is that you have to vape them with lots of power and go through a lot of juice...... I am currently checking out a few single coil RTAs in which I can run at a lower wattage (say 35 - 60watts) and will still possess good flavor but I can't seem to decide between several of them.... I could get a single coil RDA but I want a single coil RTA with an enclosed tank.... Suggestions welcome.
    I love building on RTAs and RDAs. Personally, I enjoy the putzing with building. I always have. At my other home in the city my kitchen table is dedicated to building and my DIY mixing.

The only reason I have a few tanks with factory coils is just in case someday I'm unable to build. I don't use those. They're my emergency backup plan. As vapers we have to have our backup plans.

RDAs are also favorites, for the same reasons as you stated. They are super easy to build on. I vape anywhere from 12w MTL up to 35w MTL and restricted DL on both RDAs and RTAs. Occasionally I'll enjoy a good airy DL vape also up to 35w. All single coil but I do have a few dual coil RDAs that I like. And like you, I also enjoy dripping and do so daily while at home.

A couple of my favorite single coil are the DnV (Drip n Vape, France) Venom R RDA (left in photo) and the FLVR RDA (Malaysia). Both offer in-your-face flavor. Never mind the screwdriver, had to use it to keep them from rolling for the pic. Each RDA has dual-sided airflow. I have the optional tank sections installed on both RDAs.
    IMG_1864cr.jpg

Both RDA tank sections are fairly slammed, so each offers amazing flavor. Each can be used on a squonker, or as a dripper with their normal RDA top caps, or as the photo shows, with the optional tank sections using the blind 510 pin. The tank sections hold 4.5mls and 4mls respectively. Like you said, it's tough to beat the flavor we get from an RDA. Although, I do have some RTAs that rival the flavor I get from an RDA.

I have used the Venom RDA as shown on a squonker. I'm able to rotate the juice flow control to the off position when squonking. Or I'm able open the JFC for vaping from the tank. I'll use two juices that are compatible when I do that. Kind of the best of two worlds.

I have two of the FLVR RDAs. One is on a squonker and is always in use. The other, as shown in the photo, is perfect for my out and about trips when I don't feel like squonking. Or when I don't feel like vaping on an RTA.

For a fully enclosed RBA I love the KHW Mods Dvarw MTL and DL RTAs. I have a few of the MTL Dvarw's and a couple of the DL's. They are single coil RTAs. The Dvarw MTL RTA, photo below, is setup with an airflow pin so I can pull a very airy MTL or a restricted DL. KHW Mods sells the stainless steel tank section separately. I have one for each of my Dvarw RTAs. They also sell a wide variety of airflow inserts including one you can drill yourself for your own customized airflow. The Dvarw RTA is on an old SoV (Science of Vape) mech mod.

full.jpg

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I love building on RTAs and RDAs. Personally, I enjoy the putzing with building. I always have. At my other home in the city my kitchen table is dedicated to building and my DIY mixing.

The only reason I have a few tanks with factory coils is just in case someday I'm unable to build. I don't use those. They're my emergency backup plan. As vapers we have to have our backup plans.

RDAs are also favorites, for the same reasons as you stated. They are super easy to build on. I vape anywhere from 12w MTL up to 35w MTL and restricted DL on both RDAs and RTAs. Occasionally I'll enjoy a good airy DL vape also up to 35w. All single coil but I do have a few dual coil RDAs that I like. And like you, I also enjoy dripping and do so daily while at home.

A couple of my favorite single coil are the DnV (Drip n Vape, France) Venom R RDA (left in photo) and the FLVR RDA (Malaysia). Both offer in-your-face flavor. Never mind the screwdriver, had to use it to keep them from rolling for the pic. Each RDA has dual-sided airflow. I have the optional tank sections installed on both RDAs.
    View attachment 991295
    Both RDA tank sections are fairly slammed, so each offers amazing flavor. Each can be used on a squonker, or as a dripper with their normal RDA top caps, or as the photo shows, with the optional tank sections using the blind 510 pin. The tank sections hold 4.5mls and 4mls respectively. Like you said, it's tough to beat the flavor we get from an RDA. Although, I do have some RTAs that rival the flavor I get from an RDA.

I have used the Venom RDA as shown on a squonker. I'm able to rotate the juice flow control to the off position when squonking. Or I'm able open the JFC for vaping from the tank. I'll use two juices that are compatible when I do that. Kind of the best of two worlds.

I have two of the FLVR RDAs. One is on a squonker and is always in use. The other, as shown in the photo, is perfect for my out and about trips when I don't feel like squonking. Or when I don't feel like vaping on an RTA.

For a fully enclosed RBA I love the KHW Mods Dvarw MTL and DL RTAs. I have a few of the MTL Dvarw's and a couple of the DL's. They are single coil RTAs. The Dvarw MTL RTA, photo below, is setup with an airflow pin so I can pull a very airy MTL or a restricted DL. KHW Mods sells the stainless steel tank section separately. I have one for each of my Dvarw RTAs. They also sell a wide variety of airflow inserts including one you can drill yourself for your own customized airflow. The Dvarw RTA is on an old SoV (Science of Vape) mech mod.

View attachment 991296

Thanks and I am happy for the info..... Soooooo many atomizers out there it makes my head spin LOL.... The info you gave gives me more atty's to check out.

I love my dual coil ones but they don't love me because at higher wattage they drink the juice.... So, I am thinking on going to a dedicated single coil atty that will work good at 30-60 watts as that will conserve both juice and battery power compared to a dual coiler....

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Thanks and I am happy for the info..... Soooooo many atomizers out there it makes my head spin LOL.... The info you gave gives me more atty's to check out.

I love my dual coil ones but they don't love me because at higher wattage they drink the juice.... So, I am thinking on going to a dedicated single coil atty that will work good at 30-60 watts as that will conserve both juice and battery power compared to a dual coiler....
    You're welcome.

The Dvarw DL might work nicely for you. Single coil 24mm RTA. 3.5ml or 6ml tank section. Bottom fill. Several airflow options. Optional stainless steel tank section. Excellent flavor. Very easy to build on and maintain.

Another option is the Squape Arise, 24mm, single coil. 4ml or 8ml tank size. Top fill. Optional stainless steel tank section. The Arise is also very easy to build on and maintain. There are several airflow options available. Also excellent flavor.

I would also suggest looking at the Atmizoo Aer RTA, 24mm, single coil. Top fill. Many airflow options. You've seen mine in the Shiny thread. It's a total breeze to setup and maintain. Excellent flavor. It does not (yet) have an option for a stainless steel tank section. I asked Atmizoo about that earlier today. They responded quickly. It looks like they will be polling members of the Atmizoo Facebook group to see if it's something worth doing.

Each of those can very easily handle 35 watts. I've never pushed them beyond that.

All three have very condensed chambers. Their chambers are RDA like. In my humble opinion, a condensed chamber always equals awesome flavor. Any of those can handle basic coils to more exotic coil types.

Hope that helps!!!

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    All three have very condensed chambers. Their chambers are RDA like. In my humble opinion, a condensed chamber always equals awesome flavor. Any of those can handle basic coils to more exotic coil types.

Hope that helps!!!

You would be correct as a condensed chamber equals superior flavor..... Yes, I checked out the Aer on the shinyitis thread. Thanks for sharing the other atty's with me as I will look into them a bit more as well :) Whatever/whenever I get one, I will share it on the shinyitis thread. I am in no hurry so it may be a while before I get around to getting something.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    @AXIOM_1 if you are interested in getting yourself an RTA I would very highly recommend a Brunhilde MTL RTA or Brunhilde 103 RTA :thumb:
    The Brunhilde MTL RTA is a single coil setup that is so very easy to coil and wick and one of the most user friendly tanks ever created, then there's the flavour that the thing produces:drool::drool::drool: Very Nice!! @ShowMeTwice plus the other 30 ECF members that I've steered towards one love em':w00t:
    The Brunhilde 103 RTA is a dual coil that can be used as both single or dual coil RTA. I use mine with a single coil only!
    I started using Brunhilde's when they were very first released and I have never looked back, I've tried many different high end attys but to me nothing will beat Brunhilde MTL RTA:hubba:
    image.jpg

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    @AXIOM_1 if you are interested in getting yourself an RTA and starting to build I would very highly recommend a Brunhilde MTL RTA or Brunhilde 103 RTA :thumb:
    The Brunhilde MTL RTA is a single coil setup that is so very easy to coil and wick and one of the most user friendly tanks ever created, then there's the flavour that the thing produces:drool::drool::drool: Very Nice!! @ShowMeTwice plus the other 30 ECF members that I've steered towards one love em':w00t:
    The Brunhilde 103 RTA is a dual coil that can be used as both single or dual coil RTA. I use mine with a single coil only!
    I started using Brunhilde's when they were very first released and I have never looked back, I've tried many different high end attys but to me nothing will beat Brunhilde MTL RTA:hubba:
    View attachment 991325

Yeah, I have already researched that atomizer along with about 10 zillion others LOL.... Yep, seems like a flavorful one..... Another one designed by the same people is the Lindwurm which also looks like another good single coiler....... There is also the Atemporal as well as some other single coilers.... So many to choose from :)

I would go with a single coil RDA but I already have dual coil RDAs and I am desiring to get a single coiler that has a tank on it that I can carry around without leaking and this is why I am looking at RTAs..... I don't want a dual coil RTA because I have been using dual coil RDA/RTAs for a long time and I am plowing through too much juice at higher wattage.... With a single coil I can reduce my juice consumption and extend battery life between charges...

I have a lot of single battery mods and when I use a dual coil atty at higher wattage then they last only a short while before needing to be recharged.... It's much better with a single coil atty at about 40 watts for battery life plus 40 watts provides plenty enough vapor for me. At my old age, I no longer need to be blowing massive clouds. I have done all of that...... I suppose you could say that I am transitioning into a more mid powered style of vaping from the high power I usually operate at. I just need to get a good single coil atty that operates at between 30-60 watts but still provides awesome flavor.

No worries about any deck because I have been building for years and I also make my own fused claptons...... I have not yet tried making my own aliens yet but I will leave that to Kent (twisted messes) as he was the one who invented them and he is good at it.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Have you tried icing your dual coil atties with a single coil? Like the Brunhilde, most dual coils can be run with a single coil. Although, with a larger chamber you might have loss of flavor, you don't know until you try it. Once you try it and see that's what you like, then you can invest in new atties.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Have you tried icing your dual coil atties with a single coil? Like the Brunhilde, most dual coils can be run with a single coil. Although, with a larger chamber you might have loss of flavor, you don't know until you try it. Once you try it and see that's what you like, then you can invest in new atties.

Yeah, I sometimes run a dual coil RDA with a single coil........ But just like you say, the chamber is enlarged by only using a single in place of the two coils and it changes the airflow/flavor profile.....If I am going to use a single coil RDA then I would rather use an RDA designed for a single coil and that has a small chamber......... I LOVE RDAs for flavor.... But, I am desiring to get a atomizer that has RDA quality flavor but has a tank attached so I can use it on the go without having to drip........... An RTDA is also good but they also leak when placed on their side..... I am desiring something (RTA) that I can carry around with me that I don't have to drip in to whenever I am out and about and that does not leak .... I use an RDA most of the time.......

Str8vision

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Dual coil setups do go through a lot of juice. I'm just over 0.2 ohms and firing at 55 watts I use somewhere around 15 to 18ml a day. Fortunately I create my own NET so cost is just pennies a day but if I were buying retail juice I'd likely go single coil or at least try to.

I like the intense flavor of RDAs but always envied the convenience of RTAs. In the old days I compromised by using deep well RDAs (like the original Magma) and eventually started using squonk mods to make them more convenient when out and about. Then about five years ago I stumbled across RDTAs which essentially are an RDA with large enclosed juice well beneath. I never looked back. With the build deck on top you get the flavor of a saturated RDA but you also get several ml of juice in the tank below to wick up. My RDTAs are mounted on palm sized squonk mods each packing 10ml of juice. I keep two setups in daily rotation so only need to fill them once a day. Using a 10ml dispensing syringe filling takes about fifteen seconds and is mess free. Even if I'm out all day long I don't need to carry any supplies, just my mods.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Then about five years ago I stumbled across RDTAs which essentially are an RDA with large enclosed juice well beneath. I never looked back.

Yep, I agree 100% as RDTAs are awesome..... Just like a dripper but with extra juice attached...... A person can also drip into many of them as well........... The only problem with an RDTA is that just like a dripper, they leak when laid on their side....... I don't know @Str8vision as I have been considering a RDTA as I know how flavorful they are..... But I want to get a single coiler if I do get an RDTA because I am consuming about 25 to 30 ml of juice per day.... I make my own juice, but still that is a lot of juice..... I want to operate at 30 or 40 watts on something for extended battery life plus not burn through so much juice..... I operate sometimes at between 80 and 110 watts and my dual atty's drink juice at that wattage..... If there is a good RDTA with a single coil deck and a condensed chamber for flavor then I "may" go that route. I love RDTAs, it's just that I am trying to determine if I should get one because they leak when they are placed on their side... I constantly use a dripper and I never place it on it's side but I also never take it out and about as I don't want to have to drip into it or have it leak if I should accidentally place it on it's side. If I go out anywhere then I grab a tank.... There are a few RDTAs that I have my eye on for sure....... I do not know why RDTAs are not manufactured and more popular than they are but I am assuming it is because they leak when laid on their side....... It's a shame because they are indeed awesome for flavor and ease of use...... If a person keeps them upright and attached to a mod just like how you would operate a dripper, then they never leak.

@Str8vision I do not know which RDTA(s) you use but the German 103 team makes a good one. Vandy Vape also has an excellent one (Pyro 4) although it has a TINY fill port on it that I imagine would be difficult to put juice into it. Why Vandy Vape made such a small fill port is beyond my comprehension.... Other than that the Pyro 4 is supposed to have very awesome flavor...

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Yep, I agree 100% as RDTAs are awesome..... Just like a dripper but with extra juice attached...... A person can also drip into many of them as well........... The only problem with an RDTA is that just like a dripper, they leak when laid on their side....... I don't know @Str8vision as I have been considering a RDTA as I know how flavorful they are..... But I want to get a single coiler if I do get an RDTA because I am consuming about 25 to 30 ml of juice per day.... I make my own juice, but still that is a lot of juice..... I want to operate at 30 or 40 watts on something for extended battery life plus not burn through so much juice..... I operate sometimes at between 80 and 110 watts and my dual atty's drink juice at that wattage..... If there is a good RDTA with a single coil deck and a condensed chamber for flavor then I "may" go that route. I love RDTAs, it's just that I am trying to determine if I should get one because they leak when they are placed on their side... I constantly use a dripper and I never place it on it's side but I also never take it out and about as I don't want to have to drip into it or have it leak if I should accidentally place it on it's side. If I go out anywhere then I grab a tank.... There are a few RDTAs that I have my eye on for sure....... I do not know why RDTAs are not manufactured and more popular than they are but I am assuming it is because they leak when laid on their side....... It's a shame because they are indeed awesome for flavor and ease of use...... If a person keeps them upright and attached to a mod just like how you would operate a dripper, then they never leak.

@Str8vision I do not know which RDTA(s) you use but the German 103 team makes a good one. Vandy Vape also has an excellent one (Pyro 4) although it has a TINY fill port on it that I imagine would be difficult to put juice into it. Why Vandy Vape made such a small fill port is beyond my comprehension.... Other than that the Pyro 4 is supposed to have very awesome flavor...
    I love the og TCH Artemis rdta, I never bothered with the newer versions since I was happy with what I have. Admittedly I've not tested if it can be laid on its side without leaking. It is also one of the taller ones. There are some good ones for squonking and carry but I don't squonk & just don't remember which is best for your purposes. Maybe ask on the Shiny thread or look up rdta reviews on yt, I like Mike Vapes (short & sweet reviews).

Reactions: ShowMeTwice
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread