• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Exploding Vapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaPanda77

Jul 4, 2012
Sing A Song
People Are Suing Over Exploding E-Cigarettes

Some have caused serious injuries
Electronic cigarettes are seen by some as a safer alternative to traditional forms of smoking, though the jury is still largely outon their long-term health effects. Now, the so-called “e-cigs” are facing another safety issue, as multiple users have filed lawsuitsalleging their battery-powered devices exploded and, in some cases, caused serious injuries.

Dozens of such suits have been filed in New York, Florida, and California, among other states, The Wall Street Journal reports. The Journal features one affected user in particular: Rachel Berven, who says her e-cigarette exploded in February after she had changed the battery, spilling battery acid across her body and causing burns and dental damage.

E-cigarette models mentioned in lawsuits include those made by Chinese companies sigelei, ipv Technology Co., and Kangertech, according to theJournal.

What happened to Berven is one of several reported injuries related to e-cigarettes in recent years. Doctors had to amputate Vicente Garza’s left index finger and perform surgery on his tongue after an e-cigarette exploded near his face, according to a Los Angeles Times report from November. Josh Hamilton of Owensboro, Kentucky suffered severe burns on his right thigh after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket, CNNreported in February.

In many cases, these malfunctions can be traced to the lithium ion batteries that power many e-cigarettes. Such batteries have been known to cause similar issues in other electronics. Most airlines, for instance, have banned hoverboards after several owners reported that their devices caught fire and exploded. Some iPhone owners have reported similar issues after charging their devices with third party chargers not made byApple.

The Food and Drug Administration also recently announced that it would begin regulating e-cigarettes as tobacco products.

Anyone got burned by exploding vapes in Singapore?

Reactions: defdock

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
I seriously find it funny... as stupid as it sounds... common sence.
Could you elaborate? I'll be honest, I don't know enough about the circumstances. While we're all keen to blame user error, having a better understanding will help.

Sent from the road.

Reactions: trippy_K82

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
I've seen lots youtubers pushing the boundaries, with mech mods, multiple stacked batteries and super low ohm builds.. Just to show off they can.. :(
I would suspect a big share of accidents come from that.
Personally I've had a few close calls with mech mods. Not with crazy builds, but rather silly stupid mistakes where I did not cut the leads enough and were shorting the atties. And once I forgot to lock the mod and was on constant fire. It gets super hot super fast.. ;( lucky for me I manage to unscrew the atty before further damage.
Now I mostly use mods with chipset inside.. Most you cannot fire the atty unless the conditions are right.
Unfortunately the media are fast to capitalize on negative news and that does paints a bad picture on vaping.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Could you elaborate? I'll be honest, I don't know enough about the circumstances. While we're all keen to blame user error, having a better understanding will help.

Sent from the road.

Take note, all "batteries" in the above links are mechanicals.

Mechanical mods REQUIRE KNOWLAGE of how to properly/saftly opperate and care for them, these are not plug and play devices.

It would be somewhat simmilar to someone who never owned/used/trained, buying a hand gun. With no knowledge of the item in your hands, it can be very dangerous.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
Take note, all "batteries" in the above links are mechanicals.

Mechanical mods REQUIRE KNOWLAGE of how to properly/saftly opperate and care for them, these are not plug and play devices.

It would be somewhat simmilar to someone who never owned/used/trained, buying a hand gun. With no knowledge of the item in your hands, it can be very dangerous.
I'm inclined to agree. After your post I went and searched through this forum for other posts and articles on this matter.
Someone pointed out quite succinctly that retailers have to shoulder a lot of the blame by selling young or uninformed users mods that they shouldn't be messing with. And frankly, how many people are aware that they need to take care of their batteries?
In this modern age, we take appliances for granted; the idea that they could hurt us and be a danger is entirely foreign to some people. I'll bet if you Googled, you'd still find stories of people putting metal in a microwave or burning down their apartment because they left the iron on.
Negligence is sadly a huge cause of preventable problems. Can we prevent this?

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

crazyhendrix

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2016
Singapore
I read about battery safety the moment I bought a smpl clone. Didn't touch it till I understood most of precautions to take: safer batteries, clean contacts, ohm's law, protruding center pin, etc.

While changing my gf's coil, I noticed her 18650 wrapping had a tear in it. She was using a kbox mini---battery compartment was plastic---thank god. The battery had a slight dent from a drop. Ditched it and told her to never use a battery with dents and torn wrapping. Informed her of exploding batteries in hp, mods and lithium batteries, just to get the point across.

My point is, I'm addicted to nicotine for now, but I don't want to be scarred for life just cause of my addiction.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Some have caused serious injuries
Electronic cigarettes are seen by some as a safer alternative to traditional forms of smoking, though the jury is still largely outon their long-term health effects. Now, the so-called “e-cigs” are facing another safety issue, as multiple users have filed lawsuitsalleging their battery-powered devices exploded and, in some cases, caused serious injuries.

Dozens of such suits have been filed in New York, Florida, and California, among other states, The Wall Street Journal reports. The Journal features one affected user in particular: Rachel Berven, who says her e-cigarette exploded in February after she had changed the battery, spilling battery acid across her body and causing burns and dental damage.

E-cigarette models mentioned in lawsuits include those made by Chinese companies Sigelei, iPV Technology Co., and Kangertech, according to theJournal.

What happened to Berven is one of several reported injuries related to e-cigarettes in recent years. Doctors had to amputate Vicente Garza’s left index finger and perform surgery on his tongue after an e-cigarette exploded near his face, according to a Los Angeles Times report from November. Josh Hamilton of Owensboro, Kentucky suffered severe burns on his right thigh after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket, CNNreported in February.

In many cases, these malfunctions can be traced to the lithium ion batteries that power many e-cigarettes. Such batteries have been known to cause similar issues in other electronics. Most airlines, for instance, have banned hoverboards after several owners reported that their devices caught fire and exploded. Some iPhone owners have reported similar issues after charging their devices with third party chargers not made byApple.

The Food and Drug Administration also recently announced that it would begin regulating e-cigarettes as tobacco products.

Anyone got burned by exploding vapes in Singapore?
I google for ecig stories most every day. Some months back there seemed to be a news story every week about an injury accident involving vaping. I almost never see one lately. Virtually all of them turned out to be stories involving mechanical mods. There is a short list of mistakes that will explain most of the accidents. I seriously considered getting involved with mech mods then watched some videos of deliberate battery venting and decided against. I'll stick with my wimpy temp contol at 400 degrees and 30 max watts. Do you vape to live or live to vape?

Ryan CHong

Jul 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Forum Rules

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
I google for ecig stories most every day. Some months back there seemed to be a news story every week about an injury accident involving vaping. I almost never see one lately. Virtually all of them turned out to be stories involving mechanical mods. There is a short list of mistakes that will explain most of the accidents. I seriously considered getting involved with mech mods then watched some videos of deliberate battery venting and decided against. I'll stick with my wimpy temp contol at 400 degrees and 30 max watts. Do you vape to live or live to vape?

The media will, of course, report stories of calamity and injury. No accidents mean no news. And no circulation. And no revenue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The media will, of course, report stories of calamity and injury. No accidents mean no news. And no circulation. And no revenue.
Regardless, if someone wants to avoid 95% of the risk of a vaping injury all they need to do is NOT use mech mods. Hmm, may be it's 99.999% lower risk.

Then again, be fussy about what batteries you buy and where you buy them from. If you can't do a watts law calculation from memory and/or don't know why that matters consider sticking with mods that have built in batteries until you can. If one of these batteries isn't in a mod, a charger or in your hand it's in a silicone sleeve or plastic case. Be disciplined about that. A lot of the accidents are mishandling loose batteries with exposed terminals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread