Experiment Results-coil failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubberjohnny

Jan 25, 2009
Yet another week of atomiser failures (2) finally led me to take action and try an experiment I have been thinking about for a couple of weeks.

901 atomizer on a L-ion 3.7volt 1200mAh juice box-manual switch

juice-9mg made up from 25% 36mg TW Tobacco, 60% Boots VG BP, 15% vodca. juice has 4 sliced Vanilla pods soaking at all times.

I cut the soft metal over the bridge of 2 brand new atomisers and 1 two week old atomiser and removed the bridge leaving the coil fully exposed.The new atomisers were then used (drip).Build up of black material was instant and after one good vape (20 odd "puffs) the coil was well covered.However,as the atomiser ran dry of juice a couple of dry power bursts (2/3 seconds each) completly cleaned off the coil (which ran red hot on burn).It would seem those who have allready stated you can clean off a coil by dry burn are correct BUT,when I tried out a dry burn on the wellcaked up older atomiser the coil failed after just 3 seconds.So I have concluded you can indeed keep a coil clean by regular constant burns (say after every 20 good vapes) but on coils that are allready clogged up it is too late.Please give it a try.Pull off the bridge and actually watch your atomiser clog and then clean.

luvmyvapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Texas, USA
It would make sense of why I have had far more problems than most people seem to have with atomizers.....I never vape untill it runs dry so my gunk never has a chance of being burnt off......and when I have tried burning off a gunked up atomizer it has usually died in seconds.

Glad the 'burning off' method is working for some. It blew up :evil: a couple of my atomizers when I did it. IMHO - it is not a reliable method.

My method: once a week alcohol bath followed by hot water, then blow dry. Haven't had one fail this way yet.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Glad the 'burning off' method is wwoorking for some. It blew up :evil: a couple of my atomizers when I did it. IMHO - it is not a reliable method.

My method: once a week alcohol bath followed by hot water, then blow dry. Haven't had one fail this way yet.

Luvmyvapor--Unfortunatly I have to concur--this burning off method simply does not work for me--I fried 4 atomizers in a row testing this method. To bad as it would be so simple if it did not burn them out and cold--And yes I tried all methods reported here ( voltage, time, dry, wet, etc.) So at least for me, I am not frying anymore with this method--Sun

Rubberjohnny

Jan 25, 2009
Another week down the line and for the first time in months I am still using the same atomiser. My mods all run at 3.6/3.7 volts high capacity and I "burn off" a couple of times a day using short bursts to red heat untill the coil is clear of build up and white/grey in colour with all the coils clearly visable.The only failure I had with this method was when I tried it on a very badly coked up atomiser.So far all 3 in use were "burnt off" from new and all vape as new.Thank you Catanonia
icon7.gif

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Another week down the line and for the first time in months I am still using the same atomiser. My mods all run at 3.6/3.7 volts high capacity and I "burn off" a couple of times a day using short bursts to red heat untill the coil is clear of build up and white/grey in colour with all the coils clearly visable.The only failure I had with this method was when I tried it on a very badly coked up atomiser.So far all 3 in use were "burnt off" from new and all vape as new.Thank you Catanonia
icon7.gif

I am trying it out with my latest coil john.....I think if this works then the absolute key is doing it from brand new because if you do it when the gunk has already built up on the coil then all it does is burn the coil out. I am going to do three dry burns (without the cart) a day and make the coil glow red for a few seconds (I can do it easily enough with my mod) It will be interesting to see if I have any better luck with this coil.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I am trying it out with my latest coil john.....I think if this works then the absolute key is doing it from brand new because if you do it when the gunk has already built up on the coil then all it does is burn the coil out. I am going to do three dry burns (without the cart) a day and make the coil glow red for a few seconds (I can do it easily enough with my mod) It will be interesting to see if I have any better luck with this coil.

Pete--OK--I am with you here. I have a brand new atomizer and will do 3 dry burns a day also with the cartridge off to also see how it goes. As I have said, this method has just fried my atomizers but I could see how it might work if you kept doing it from the begining. So I will post results--who knows could be a month or it could be in a few hours--LOL--Sun

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Pete--OK--I am with you here. I have a brand new atomizer and will do 3 dry burns a day also with the cartridge off to also see how it goes. As I have said, this method has just fried my atomizers but I could see how it might work if you kept doing it from the begining. So I will post results--who knows could be a month or it could be in a few hours--LOL--Sun

Lmao sun ....you should be waiting to see my results first.....you risk taking devil you.:)

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com

Good luck :)

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Sun, Pete - if you are using sunken atomizers (inside a tube, like 801 for instance) and you are 'burning till red' then don't forget to blow softly into the tube while you are burning it... smoke coming off the coil can easily make the coil invisible for you, fooling you into thinking it isn't red yet while perhaps it is allready red-hot, but hidden under the smoke in the tube... you do need to keep a clear view.
Good luck! :)

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Sun, Pete - if you are using sunken atomizers (inside a tube, like 801 for instance) and you are 'burning till red' then don't forget to blow softly into the tube while you are burning it... smoke coming off the coil can easily make the coil invisible for you, fooling you into thinking it isn't red yet while perhaps it is allready red-hot, but hidden under the smoke in the tube... you do need to keep a clear view.

Will do that Katink......it's a bit scary doing this .....I keep expecting the coil to die suddenly....but so far so good and I am even wondering if I should be giving it a longer burn ....but a few seconds of red glow is as long as I can hold out.....lol.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida

Katink--thanks for the heads up as I am using 801's---Sun

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
Burning till there is smoe is a good time to stop ;)

Can repeat after a brief pause and smoke clears.

If not sure, perhaps 10 seconds at a time is enough.

I have been testing.

With a 901 atty that has been on the go for about 2 weeks with flavoured PG and 12mg Nico.

I blew out the atty, washed with water, blew out more.

Connected up and hit the switch.

Been doing 15 - 30 second burns no problems at all.

Even after about 10 or more such burns, still getting loads of smoke, foul smelling coming off the atty. Definately by then all the juice should have gone.

My only conclusion is something else is burning off.

I have also noticed with brand new atty's I have tested before storing that some glow MUCH MUCH more brightly / hotter from the supplier than others from the same batch / supplier.

Not all attys are made the same is another conclusion, but we knew that.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I have been testing.

With a 901 atty that has been on the go for about 2 weeks with flavoured PG and 12mg Nico.

I blew out the atty, washed with water, blew out more.

Connected up and hit the switch.

Been doing 15 - 30 second burns no problems at all.

Even after about 10 or more such burns, still getting loads of smoke, foul smelling coming off the atty. Definately by then all the juice should have gone.

My only conclusion is something else is burning off.

I have also noticed with brand new atty's I have tested before storing that some glow MUCH MUCH more brightly / hotter from the supplier than others from the same batch / supplier.

Not all attys are made the same is another conclusion, but we knew that.

I guess that proves your own point - that two weeks is too long to wait ;)

ps: wonder if the variation could be due to the batteries; that would make more sense. Or have tried different attys on same battery to check glow color?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I did try burning the gunk of an atomizer that was hardly producing any vapour.....and I kept getting plenty of foul smelling smoke from it....then after a while I would wash it out and give it another try...it never got any better so I kept doing longer burns...and never finding it worked any better....I could never even see a red glow from it even though it was giving off all the stinking smoke.....eventually it went cold....and when I took it apart it was no wonder I couldn't see any red glow, it still had a load of black gunk coating it even after all that burning!!.....That's what made me give up on the idea of burning it off.......but perhaps this idea of doing it from brand new will make a difference.

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
I guess that proves your own point - that two weeks is too long to wait ;)

ps: wonder if the variation could be due to the batteries; that would make more sense. Or have tried different attys on same battery to check glow color?

I guess it does. Something else is burning off giving the horrid smell and it can't be eliquid after all those burns.

I am using exactly the same power, kensington with manual switch for all the tests including the new atty test for glow power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread