Exotic coil or Basic Round wire For Mechs confusion?

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Hey guys,

Lately i got into mechs after leaning ohms law ofc anyway ive just been using the same coils for regulated that i use for mechs...
my mech is a 21700 battery if that matters..
My question is ive been reading alot of back and forth and its making me confused
Alot of people say to only use kanthal or nic80 basic wire for mechs cause exotics have too much mass to work well..
Then i read like i said back and forth that exotic coils work fine if not even better than round as long as you keep the outer G at around 36g outer and up so 32g is too thick etc..
I checked mine are dual fused 26*2 / 36g so since its 36g and my battery being 21700 its not too beefy right?

Or am i doing it wrong and need to use basic round?
I jus want good flavor and clouds

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Complex coils trap liquid/juice between the wires used, so there is a benefit and cost to using them.

As yes they can have reduced mass, increased surface area and increased vapor production, but they gunk up easily and aren't necessarily easy to clean.

Flat wire though (0.2mm thick) is easy to work with and can produce decent vapor too, and is considerably easier to clean.

And most either use Kanthal or Ni80, Kanthal gives for a higher resistance and Ni80 has a faster ramp.

That's pretty much the 101 of it, and I'm sure others can add to it.

• Agree
Reactions: OnTheFidele

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Complex coils trap liquid/juice between the wires used, so there is a benefit and cost to using them.

As yes they can have reduced mass, increased surface area and increased vapor production, but they gunk up easily and aren't necessarily easy to clean.

Flat wire though (0.2mm thick) is easy to work with and can produce decent vapor too, and is considerably easier to clean.

And most either use Kanthal or Ni80, Kanthal gives for a higher resistance and Ni80 has a faster ramp.

That's pretty much the 101 of it, and I'm sure others can add to it.
Yea but they say if u google search it exotic coils is just straight up to much mass for a single 21700 and dual coils hopefully its not the case i dont rly wanna use regular wire ive been spoiled with exotics lol but yeah seems like most people dont even use exotics on mechs wonder why .....well like u said faster ramp but on regulated they dont use this tho..

So far i just used exotics i like it debating on trying regular wire now to see for my self but do most people rly use just plain round wire still for mechs now a days? crazy lol

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It's all about AMPS when using a mech mod. NEVER should your Amp draw be more than 50% of the batteries CDR rating
    Just remember, batteries degrade over time, and as the MaH becomes less, so does the CDR.

Safety ALWAYS comes first when using a mech mod.

So it's not about what kind of wire you use, it's about how many Amps does it draw when you light it up.

Been using a mech mod for 12 years now, and have NEVER had a problem. That's because I know that a 2 amp draw on a 20 amp battery is safer than a 20 amp draw.

So if you want to use crazy wild coils, and blow huge clouds, do it safely. Use a modern regulated mod ... not a mech mod. That's why they were invented.

Last edited:

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
    It's all about AMPS when using a mech mod. NEVER should your Amp draw be more than 50% of the batteries CDR rating
    Just remember, batteries degrade over time, and as the MaH becomes less, so does the CDR.

Safety ALWAYS comes first when using a mech mod.

So it's not about what kind of wire you use, it's about how many Amps does it draw when you light it up.

Been using a mech mod for 12 years now, and have NEVER had a problem. That's because I know that a 2 amp draw on a 20 amp battery is safer than a 20 amp draw.

So if you want to use crazy wild coils, and blow huge clouds, do it safely. Use a modern regulated mod ... not a mech mod. That's why they were invented.
    Ohhh that make sense i check every build with ohms calculator and i never even build near the max of cdr so ill be ok :) thanks for clearing it up

Edit: thanks yea ill just build very safe for my mech and for the crazy cloudy builds ill use that on my regulated i dont wanna blow off my jaw so id imagine 21700blast in metal tube is pretty severe

Users who are viewing this thread