Status
Not open for further replies.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Just got the protank, it's nice. The airyness doesn't bother me. I heard if I use the evod heads on it it helps. Better than the Vapeonly BCC for the fact it's easier to rebuild and it looks a bit nicer.

Bottom coils have won me over. No more tipping and twisting with the novas.

pdxtechdoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
pdxtechdoctor
You should be fine with the stock heads at 60/40, Eric. The only juice I've had to remove wicks for was Boba's and a 20pg/80vg I use. The nice thing about the Kangers is the multitude of options available to suit every user. The heads are cheaply replaced and/or with a bit of time and patience, easily rebuilt. Obviously you're almost always going to get better performance from these little guys with a self-made wick and coil. I use 32g kanthal and Aunt Lydia's. Most recently I've been experimenting with using ss mesh in the protank. Very happy with the results so far, nice clean flavor from the ss, and I just use several strands of bamboo in place of the flavor wicks that sit on top of the coil to prevent flooding issues. It doesn't gurgle, it doesn't dry hit. I've TRIED to make it foul up, and I can't!

Check out Todd's review and rebuild of the eVod head... It's the exact same process with the protank since the heads are practically the same, so you can get a good idea of what's in store if you decide to rebuild your own!

I'm not up on thread sizing it's pretty confusing.. I'd love to hear your method for rebuilding the heads. Do you coil first and then slide the bamboo or do you coil around it? The size 10 sounds like it's between 1 and 1.5 mm since I saw the a 1.5mm needle is recommended does that sounds right? How many strands do you use in the coil?

Also do you have any issues with the flavor? I have some 2mm braided bamboo that wicks really well (awesomely actually) in my evod heads but it takes forever to get rid of the earthy taste. I've boiled it countless times with the same results...

Thanks!

pdxtechdoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
pdxtechdoctor
Also, with the protank, if you restrict too much airflow at the 510 stem, you're probably going to gurgle at some point. Think if you tried to drink a milkshake through a straw with a hole in it. The larger the hole, the less of a chance you're going to get any milkshake. Plug that hole up or make it too small, though, and you're gonna end up with a mouth full of milkshake. The gurgling is a result of excess juice buildup in the center pin of the head due to either not enough wick to soak it up when it drips back down, too little airflow, or a combination of the two.

The gurgling is also a result of condensation in the tube.. One of the reasons why people always says that they gurgle when the tank is getting low.. Very often it's not that the head is flooding or leaking, it is that they have used it enough that the condensation builds up and finally starts getting into the tube on the head. I noticed when I started recoiling my evods and really amped them up so that they just produce plumes of vapor that the problem reared its head much quicker. If I remember to continue to draw after releasing the fire button for a second so that all the vapor clears the tube, my gurgling problems go away...

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Evods are decent but the see thru built on driptips collect a lot of condensation on mine, I find myself wiping it out with rolled up small pieces of paper towel often.

I can vape thru an Evod pretty quick too, if all I had was an Evod I'd fill it 5-6 times a day.

Protank doesn't go thru juice as fast....can handle cinnamons + citrus vapes too. Also looks classier. No comparing the two, imo.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Guys, I found out both have their place. :)

IMAG0202-1.jpg

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
I'm not up on thread sizing it's pretty confusing.. I'd love to hear your method for rebuilding the heads. Do you coil first and then slide the bamboo or do you coil around it? The size 10 sounds like it's between 1 and 1.5 mm since I saw the a 1.5mm needle is recommended does that sounds right? How many strands do you use in the coil?

Also do you have any issues with the flavor? I have some 2mm braided bamboo that wicks really well (awesomely actually) in my evod heads but it takes forever to get rid of the earthy taste. I've boiled it countless times with the same results...

Thanks!

I coil first using a small dremel bit that is exactly the size I need to get a 5/4 wrap at around 1.5 ohms. After firing the wire clean, I double 2 strands of bamboo twice for a total of 4 strands, twist, and feed through the coil. The #10 is 1.5mm, but the strands fluff up nicely after 3 10-minute boils. They also swell quite a bit when they're soaked.

It does take a few ml of liquid (depending on the flavor intensity of whatever I'm using) to get the wick seasoned well. It's mainly for this reason that I'm leaning more towards SS mesh, as it breaks in a lot quicker and I don't have to remove/replace it when I clean and DB my coils. In the one I'm using now, I just use the bamboo for top wicking, and there's no earthy flavor at all even with new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread