Not open for further replies.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
ok, so i got a usb/wall plug.

Amazon.com: SE-2USB: High Power Slim AC Wall Plug to 2 x 5V USB Adapter (Retractable US Plug): Everything Else

the apparent issue is that the EVO batteries are not "lighting up" when charged as stated they would do when using the USB charger...and this is based on different computers operating differently and sending different power to the USB ports.

so, i've tried on 3 different pc's, and on a powered hub, and on different ports on the pc's, and even on my Wii.

nothing.

they seem to be getting charged, but NO INDICATOR LIGHT to show they are charged.

so, the wall charger i bought above, it has 2 usb ports on it, and plugs into the wall.

so far, i've had a battery on it for almost 40 minutes now, and still no light.

i hate to say...but i don't feel that i agree with the belief that it is the pc shutting off the power to the USB port and keeping the light from showing...because this is straight power and the PC has nothing to do with it, and still no light.

so i guess at this point...i must accept that my batteries are never going to light up and show me they are done...which sucks...because really i'm just going to have to time them and remember to pull them off.

sure, a minor annoyance, and not a huge deal, but i'd really just like it to light up properly, and it does seem that the "old" chargers were doing better, from what people have said. of course, i'd need one of them to be able to test that theory.

Last edited:

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
my white genie batteries always charge in the way you'd expect, but my problems are with the black atoms. I have had three sets of batteries in the short while I have had the black evo and they just don't seem to even charge properly on the usb chargers. In fact, they don't bloody well charge at all. It's rubbish. I spent £65 on this kit and I have hardly used the damn thing. Intellicig replaced the batteries, but I can't be arsed to keep contacting them over it. It is really the worst thing I have bought. The white evo is fine.
I should add that I don't get lights of any kind either when charging the black atoms (or not charging actually).

Midnight Toker

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2009
Los Angeles
Mine are not lighting up when charged either. I have a Mac, and other than the initial 5 blinks, they don't light up when charged. Don't think it's the computer either. They are getting charged just not indicting with a solid LED. I have an iPhone wall and car USB charger that I also use. They don't light up on those when charger either. I've left them on those for 2 hours. The car USB iPhone charger does indicate when fully charged though. It has an indicator light that goes from red (not charged) to green (charged) That's the only way I know they are full.

Like this: And I like the dual USB, might have to get on of those for the car.
powerduouniversal_1.jpg

Edit: I have the new micro charger

Last edited:

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Although the style of charger is somewhat crucial to style of battery you have (new vs. old), This sounds to me to be directly related to the batteries being old stock as has been stated before.

This is an 'old design' battery. These style batteries were never made to light up when fully charged. These units rely completely on the old style corded USB charger units LED, which is usually fairly accurate. Likewise the new style batteries' LED will never fully light for me on the old style chargers. Just the chargers LED.

I have new style batteries that light up fine on the new style micro USB charger, when fully charged. I also have received "new" old stock batteries, which will Never light up on the micro charger. I also have old style chargers, and these light green every time with the old and new batteries.

I have both lengths and production periods of this. These described variables are constant among all models owned. This is the same in all outlets, and USB connections. Perhaps this might clear a few things up.

If it is any consolation, I obviously am experiencing the same problems. This can be remedied with the correct USB charger, or the real 'new' style battery however. Good luck. Cheers.

Last edited:

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
suzie, did you have the new micro usb charger or the longer one with the cord (older version)?

I don't know. I have two usb chargers for the evo. One that was for the ordinary white evo and another for the black. Neither of them have a 'cord' (not sure what you mean by this). They have a black plastic covering on the flex. (Can't think of the right word)

...ahhhh, now I understand. I've just looked on the intellicig site. I guess I have the old style corded chargers, not the micro.

Last edited:

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
I have found the same - the old style cord will light the led solid when it is done. The new micro charger will not. Intellicig said it was due to power being shut off at the port when the battery was fully charged...

I'm inclined to think they are correct.

On three different computers, I have not been able to get any of three EVO batteries (1 white normal, 2 black atoms) to light up. I've just bought a mains USB adaptor and that doesn't either (but I might not have left them long enough). However... I do have an old (USB 1) mains powered hub and it does light up the tips on all three batteries after some hours. I think the newer devices are smart enough to cut power when the device stops taking it (a power saving feature perhaps).

The usb thing sounds like a big problem... requiring draw to work etc.
There cannot be that much diff in all these vapo batts.. Where does it come in that the manufactures get it right... if they can't do it right the first time... how can they afford it the second time.....
Way more complicated that it needs to be!! Just thinkin out loud

:|

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
At the end of the day, this is simply a matter of asthetics... The battery still charges properly. Indicator lights of when a full charge has been reached have always been flaky and mistrusted anyway.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor annoyance that can be easily overlooked.

And when you consider how long it takes to charge some other batteries the Evo chargers are still streets ahead in my book, with or without light (I have the old-style chrome usb charger - my batts light up when done (20 mins usually!))

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
e-pipeman - I agree completely... To get hours of usage out of a 20 or 30 minute charge is exceptional in my book... And the EVO's seem to be very consistent as far as vapor production. I'm not crazy about the new cart style, but like the extra capacity they offer...

Yes - the Evo keeps on bunging out consistent vapour until it decides that it wants a charge-up, and then it flashes at you and stops dead. No gradual fading so that you feel like you're trying to vape through a pillow...

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
pipeman, you do have a point that they charge amazingly fast, but...that charge time does still vary.

just for example, if yours DOES light up after 20 mins, and is charged, then you know you're good to go.

if i charge one for 20 mins (and based on the argument above that computers and power to the ports vary) it may not be full, and i may be taking it off too early.

so with no light...we can't be sure that it is charged in a quick amount of time, so best bet is to leave it on, say, an hour. thus...negating the point of having that indication light that the battery charged in 20 mins.

am i making sense? :)

now.......

let me backtrack...

last night, i finally killed my evo battery, it started blinking sadly that it was dying. actually, i killed it monday night. then last night i stuck it on my usb/wall plug charger (linked above from amazon) at about 10pm. well...i nodded off on the couch watching tv, and woke up at 4am and went to pull the battery....and lo and behold, a bright shining blue LED on the end of the battery telling me it's charged.

so now that gives two options/theories.

1...it took the battery being dead/blinking to charge and give me an indicator

2...it took longer than 3 hours (longest i'd left on on my usb-pc port) to show me it was charged.

3....not really 3, but the fact that it was unattended from 10pm to 4am, i have no way of knowing when the light came on. it could have lit after 20 mins, or 4 hours.

but...a small sign of victory...is that it DID light up. now i just have to figure out why and how soon so i can replicate the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread