Evidence of smoking machine fraud in e-cig research

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Dr. Rudolph Jaeger, sells the Jaeger-Baumgartner Cigarette Smoke Machine, and instructs in its use in studying e-cigs.

Here he demonstrates the machine on youtube, and says the following at the end:
when one looks at the temperature of the corresponding end, one sees that it is not hot to the touch, suggesting that there is no fire or combustion process

Of course not! That's not where the heating coil is! It's the other end that would get hot!
I would say "IDIOT!", but that's not what Dr. Rudolph Jaeger is.

He's a CORRUPT FRAUDSTER. He knows very well what I'm pointing out here. And he teams up with other fraudsters.

Remember the 'mouse study'?

PLOS ONE: Exposure to Electronic Cigarettes Impairs Pulmonary Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Viral Defenses in a Mouse Model

Well, get a load of this:
We also acknowledge Dr. Rudolph Jaeger and his team at CH Technologies (USA) Inc for their assistance in modifying the Jaeger-Baumgartner Cigarette Smoke Machine for use with E-cigs.

I haven't yet tried to find out what smoking machine was used in the Japanese study, and the study in the letter to NEJM (erroneously referred to often as the "NEJM study"). I'm not gonna fool myself and think I'll be able to find that information about the CEH study, though.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Also, in that PLoS One study, where it says, "More importantly, cigarette smoke exposure impairs innate and adaptive immune responses against bacteria and viruses, which predispose to COPD exacerbations, a major contributor to COPD-related morbidity, mortality and health care costs [14]," just go look at [14].
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1747235/pdf/v060p00925.pdf
Table 2 shows that current smoking does not predict mortality 0.97 (0.63-1.48). [14] also says that "Connors et al likewise observed that patients presenting with congestive heart
failure as the cause of the acute COPD exacerbation suffered increased mortality. In contrast, an infectious aetiology of the acute exacerbation does not seem to be a determinant of increased mortality." It proves that all they're doing is blowing smoke out their asses.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I haven't yet tried to find out what smoking machine was used in the Japanese study
Their 2013 paper ( https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/analsci/29/12/29_1219/_pdf ) says this:
An LM1/PLUS (Borgwaldt Technik GmbH, Hamburg, Germany) smoking machine was used for the collection of cigarette smoke.
That would be a different machine. (They erroneously use the word "smoke" to represent aerosol throughout the paper.)
Their 2014 paper ( IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Carbonyl Compounds Generated from Electronic Cigarettes | HTML )
doesn't say what brand of smoking machine they used.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Reactions: nicnik

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks. I can't very easily find the link or links that lead there. Can you give me a clue?

The "clue" is the wording: 'it appears' in my post...(iow not total certainty)... I got to here from one of the links given in the study you linked:

Cigarette smoking products suppress anti-viral effects of Type I interferon via phosphorylation-dependent downregulation of its receptor

... and under:
"CReSS Pocket Validation

Pressure Drop
A smoking machine (University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY)..."

Then googled the above... :- )

Cigarette smoking products suppress anti-viral effects of Type I interferon via phosphorylation-dependent downregulation of its receptor

"Cigarette smoke condensate extract (CSCE) was prepared for a fee by Murty Pharmaceuticals, Inc (Lexington, KY) using a Phipps-Bird 20-channel smoking machine and Kentucky standard cigarettes (1R3F; University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY)"

edit: just realized they're the same links - I didn't find it at first so the second google was redundant :) but I just searched 'machine' first and got the first statement - then googled that and got the same link :facepalm: and did a 'next' on the search the second time. lol

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'm sorry but why is he a fraud when saying that there is no fire or combustion?
isn't he right in that?
You absolutely can NOT conclude there is no combustion by the fact that that end is not hot to the touch. He know it's near the other end, the top end, that would heat up. If it were that hot, at that bottom end, the battery would likely be about to vent, and combustion would be the least of your worries. ETA: Actually there'd be danger of combustion of the battery, not just the e-liquid wick and cartomizer fillier - a much bigger danger, and immediate rather than long-term.

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
so, he is selling that his machine doesn't work when it does?
No, he misrepresenting it. If it is actually causing combustion, then it isn't working properly. He is dishonestly, not out of stupidity as you suggest, claiming that his "hot to the touch test" is sufficient to ensure that the user is not mistaking smoke for aeresol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread