Status
Not open for further replies.

Krakkan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
New Orleans, LA
www.truesmoker.com
Electronic Cigarettes Allowed Under Clean Air Indoor Act - NTV - KHGI/KWNB/WSWS-CA - Where your news comes first. - Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings, Lincoln |

Even with the state-wide smoking ban now in effect, smokers can get their nicotine fix indoors. But it's a different kind of lighting up.
Instead of using a lighter, electronic cigarettes charge on a rechargeable battery. They've been available for almost two months at select sites in Central Nebraska. Smoker Friendly in Grand Island and Kearney carry the brand njoy.

Grand Island Smoker Friendly manager Megan Kenney said hospital patients, truck drivers, and everyone in between are snatching them up.

Kenney is hearing a different request from customers lately.

"'Do you have those new, electronic cigarettes?' In the past month or so, they've really started
flying," she said.
The cigarettes are actually meant to help people stop smoking, but you can still get a
nicotine fix. Smoker Amber Gutierrez likes that it doesn't taste like a cigarette.

"It's really sweet, like a cigar is what it tastes like," she said, after trying it for the first time.

Here's how it works: First, you pay $70 for the starter kit and charge it before using.

"In here's a little light so when you drag on it, it turns red, kind of looks like a cigarette," Kenney said.

Then, screw in the cartridge, which contains a water vapor and some nicotine.

"When you draw on this, it triggers that vapor, and it does a puff of air," Kenney said.

"Not from the cigarette but from me," Guitierrez said.
"I saw her puff something out but I don't smell anything" Kenney said, who was watching her.

Because there's no second-hand smoke, Teresa Anderson from the Central District Health Department said electronic cigarettes are not restricted by the Clean Air Act. She said businesses and hospitals can place their own restrictions on them if they wish.

"The rechargable battery lasts up to three hours and you don't have to continuously smoke. You can put it out when you want," Kenney said.

The cartridges sell for $20 and equal five packs of cigarettes. It may be the new definition of 'smoker friendly' for employee Craver Blakemore.

"If you can keep youself limited to your smoking, I actually believe it's cheaper than
getting regular cigarettes. I want to try it because I'm at the point now where I just need to
quit smoking."

Reporter's Notes: Stacia Kalinoski

Because the product is relatively new, it's banned in many countries. The U.S. allows them, but the FDA is currently reviewing that stance. They just placed a ban on some shipments into the country, including the brand njoy. What's left at Smoker Friendly locations (five in Nebraska) is all they have.
The Kearney location said they're sold out of starter kits and the Grand Island location had one left as of Monday. You must buy a starter kit for $70, which includes two cartridges. More cartridges are sold in packs of 10 for $20. Kenney said one cartridge is equal to half a pack of cigarettes.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

RandallFlagg

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Denver, Co, USA
Because the product is relatively new, it's banned in many countries. The U.S. allows them, but the FDA is currently reviewing that stance. They just placed a ban on some shipments into the country, including the brand Njoy. What's left at Smoker Friendly locations (five in Nebraska) is all they have.

I thought the ban was lifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread