Eleaf iStick Pico X 75W TC Kit with Melo 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the istick Pico X 75W TC Kit with Melo 4 from eleaf. The iStick Pico X 75W TC Kit with Melo 4 was supplied for the purpose of this review by eleaf.

iStick Pico X with MELO 4 - Eleaf electronic cigarette

Introduction

The iStick Pico has become Eleaf's flagship since the originals release, and here we see the latest version taking an ergonomic device and then taking ergonomics to a new level. You can see the Pico X had the same starting Pico form but then has been given contours to match the contours of your hand amongst other ergonomic improvements. Also featuring smart mode which we are seeing more on devices to give it a modern update thankfully they have pretty much functionality wise kept it true to the original. In this kit it's paired with the TPD compliant 22mm diameter Melo 4 featuring a new mesh coil, so i'll crack on and give my thoughts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

Contents:

1 x iStick Pico X (without cell)
1 x MELO 4 Atomizer (D22)
2 x EC-M 0.15ohm Heads
1 x QC USB Cable
2 x User Manuals
Spare Parts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The iStick Pico X Kit came in the usual Eleaf style cardboard box packaging and when opened i found i had received the Red version that comes with Silver Melo 4 tank. The Pico X is also available in Silver, Black, Green and Blue, all versions come with a Silver Melo 4 and i must say both the Green and the Blue in my opinion are very nice shades of those colours. The device is fully covered in a Rubber paint which seems very thick and durable, not sure if the device itself is plastic or very light metal, it is light but not as super lightweight as some plastic mods of late. The device is larger at the top than the bottom and also narrower at the front and spine then bowed out in the centre, the whole device is very contoured to match the contours of your hand when using it. The Spine and both sides are featureless apart from "Eleaf" printed small central bottom one side and " iStick Pico X" printed in small central bottom the other side. The front of the device has a square fire button which has a circular concave positioned slightly on a tilt at the top. Further down we have the screen followed by micro USB port. The base of the device has venting for the battery and printed safety stamps, the bottom is also where we find the side by side navigational buttons which are on a recessed rocker. Moving to the top we have to one side the battery cap, the other side we have a 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The Pico X has been designed quite obviously with ergonomics in mind and in that regard is a great success. In my opinion the shape and rubber finish as well as being comfortable in the hand is also aesthetically pleasing.

Melo 4 Specs and Features

Size: 22mm x 52.5mm
E-liquid capacity: 2ml
Weight: 46.8g
Coil: EC-M 0.15
Convenient retractable top filling design
Also compatible with EC2 series coils with optimal flavor
Dual adjustable bottom airflow for huge cloud
Detachable Structure for Easy Cleaning
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Blue, Greenery, Red, Silver, White

Melo 4 Overview

The Melo 4 is an easy to use no fuss sub-ohm tank, so it has a lot in common with a Pico which is liked for it's simplicity despite having many features. It comes apart and screws back together with no problems at all and the coils screw into the base then screw on to the air pipe as the base is screwed in place. It is a standard 510 drip tip fitting so you can use your favourite 510, it is also top-fill. To fill the tank you just need to push the top-cap and it slides open revealing the fill port, then just push it back in place (this operates with a perfect tolerance and is very secure, there is no way the tank will open by accident). The airflow is dual cyclops with stopper which moves very smoothly. You get two identical mesh coils provided which are 0.15 and rated between 30w and 75w, the EC2 coils also are suitable which when i used in the past i found the 0.5ohm best at 40w and the 0.3ohm at 45w. I will go through how the the new mesh coil performs later in the review. The capacity is 2ml so the kit is TPD compliant but unfortunately no spare glass is included.

iStick Pico X Specs and Features:

Size: 50 x 31 x 73mm
Battery type: Single 18650 battery (not included)
Output wattage: 75W max
Output voltage: 0.5V-9V
Resistance range: 0.1Ω-3.0ohm (VW/Bypass mode)/0.05-1.0ohm (TC-Ni/Ti/SS/M1/M2/M3 mode)
Wattage recommending system
Rubber paint finish with smooth feel
Ergonomic and compact design
Bottom ventilation holes
0.69-inch screen with optional interfaces
Upgraded firmware & USB charging
Thread: 510
Colours: Silver, Black, Red, Green, Blue

Fitting the Battery

To install an 18650 battery you need to unscrew the battery cap off the top of the device then just pop your battery in negative up and screw the cap back on, the threading is very good and there is no battery rattle. Fitting the battery this way is very secure and means the device's main body can be shortened but their is a trade off. It reduces the size of tank that can be fitted on the Pico X, the battery cap prevents even 24mm tanks fitting which is a big con making the device more suited for MTL vapers.

The Display

The display is bright and sharp and like a few devices that have been released recently is old school just showing the most useful information. To the left of the display we have the battery status bar, next to this is the resistance, then underneath the resistance is the subpara which is puffs by default but can be changed to seconds vaped or voltage. Finally the entire right side of the screen displays the mode and wattage (temperature when in temp control).

Navigating the iStick Pico X

The Pico X is the normal 5 clicks on and 5 clicks off and as well as the main menu there are some combination key press functions. When the device is off clicking the up and down together flips the screen, the same combination when the device is on locks and unlocks the navigational buttons but the device will still fire, also when in temp control pressing the fire button 4 times allows you to set wattage for temp control. To enter the main menu is 3 clicks which allows you to scroll through the various modes which are Wattage, Bypass, Ni, Ti, SS, M1, M2 and M3 (M1, M2 and M3 are your TCR slots). If instead of pressing the fire button 3 times you press the up and fire together when in wattage mode a row of icons appear which represent, subpara (change between puff, vape time or voltage), stealth (turn on or off), preheat (set your preheat wattage and duration), vape time cutoff (5s, 10s or 15s), info which gives hardware and firmware versions and finaly information about your battery status. When you press up and fire together when in temperature control you get the same row of icons but now we have 2 extra icons which are for locking resistance and entering TCR values to your memory slots. The menu system is easy to navigate around and those that have owned any Pico's and similar eleaf products will be very familiar with it.

Protections

Over-charge Protection
Over-discharge Protection
Over-current Protection
Reverse Polarity Protection
Over Vape Protection
Short Circuit Protection

Strange Pairing

The Melo 4 is a good sub-ohm tank and i'm loving the ergonomics with the latest version of the Pico but they just seem a very strange pairing. The vast majority of vapers drawn towards the Pico X will be MTL vapers due to it not allowing accommodation of 24mm tanks and bigger. Pairing it with one of the very few 22mm diameter subohm tanks seems very odd so i can see far more People just buying the mod rather than the kit.

My Experience Using The Pico X Kit

The Pico X with it's updated chip like any other device in recent times has no noticeable delay and it gives set wattage instantly. The device seemed accurate, and i found it to be very reliable with no misfires, 75w seemed 75w to me. I don't vape in temp control so wouldn't have a clue how the temp control works but has a low wattage power mod performance wise i couldn't find fault. The Melo 4 is a solid performing subohm tank which i have used before with different coils and the mesh coils supplied in this kit gave very good flavour as i would expect from mesh coils, despite being 0.15ohm i actually found the flavour at it's best at around the 40w to 45w mark. Once going over the 50w mark i found the vape getting a lot warmer and flavour slightly reducing, the airflow is a restricted lung hit which can be closed down for even more restriction and is also smooth. My only issue with the tank is having to constantly fill it but at least it has a quick top-fill system. The iStick Pico X because of how comfortable in the hand it is and ease of use i would use in the future if only it was a fraction bigger. I only wish it was bigger so it would accommodate 24mm tanks which would allow me to use it with my favourite tanks and that includes recently released MTL tanks as the vast majority of MTL tanks released in 2018 have been 24mm. Having the navigational button on the bottom of the device has to be a con for me because even after all this time after the release of the original Pico i still find the buttons positioned on the bottom hard to get use to but i suppose if it is your only device it would become second nature. The other things i like about the device is it includes smart mode so when a new coil is attached it will automatically adjust wattage to suit the resistance i also like the way it adjusts in 0.1w increments up to 20w then switches to 1w increments, finally the Pico X supports on-board charging and is firmware upgradeable.

Kit Tank The Melo 4

Triton Mini Looking Good

Aesthetically pleasing device
Feels sturdy and finish seems durable
Very ergonomic
Rubber coating both looks and feels nice
Good choice of colours
Performed very well
Fires without delay hitting wattage instantly
Very easy to use
0.1w increments to 20w then 1w increments
Safe mode (great feature for new vapers)
Temp control (not tested)
Top loaded battery very secure way of fitting battery
Good battery cap threading
Melo 4 is good subohm tank and have been impressed with all 3 coils available for it.
Very smooth quick top-fill system
Supports on-board charging
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Tanks need to be less than 24mm in diameter to fit
Never can get use to having the buttons on the bottom (subjective)
Despite being a good tank would of been better paired with MTL tank in my opinion.
No Curves feature (only a con if you like this feature like me)
Not suitable for high wattage users (obvious)
Tank constantly needs filling
No spare glass included
Only 18650 battery, will not accommodate larger capacity 2X700 battery

I would once again like to thank Eleaf for supplying the iStick Pico X 75W TC Kit with Melo 4 for the purpose of this review.

iStick Pico X with MELO 4 - Eleaf electronic cigarette

Reactions: AngeNZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread