ELA Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdefazzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Cooper City, Florida
So given the amount of parts for the ELA V2 I'm just curious what everyone's cleaning routine is.

For me, once a week, I break it down and give the parts an ultrasonic bath except for the plated contacts for those a papertowel and rubbing alcohol.
Every couple of months I use some toothpaste and smear the threads and just work them a few times to knock any oxidation off.
If I feel like it I use a little toothpaste on a dremel soft polishing wheel and touch up my one aluminum compression band.

vdefazzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Cooper City, Florida
I do remove the compression band as it seems to me to be the dirtiest part. During my weekly cleaning ill hit it with a bit of scotch brite lightly until it seems to brighten up a bit. My semi monthly cleaning I really shine it up with the dremel.
Every once in a while ill clean the sides of the button with steel wool and a little toothpaste. Not the contact but around the barrel of the button.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
ELA cleaning ? Other then wiping it down it there really is no needed maintenance... The compression band might get dirty (tarnished) as some say but I have never cleaned mine...

This^. Maintain as little as possible and address problems if they occur. Otherwise enjoy.
Clean the crud out of the 510 connection with a q-tip and water or alcohol when it's grungy. Sometimes the button assembly needs to be cleaned up too. When you're done with whatever you need to do make sure everything is assembled tightly.

But here's a couple things not to do: Do not use anything abrasive on the plated top post or negative post. If the negative post needs to be removed from the button, try to use a screwdriver that fits the slots. The last thing you want to do is create a jacked up uneven surface on the face of the post.

officer196

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
Ft. Worth, TX
ELA cleaning ? Other then wiping it down it there really is no needed maintenance... The compression band might get dirty (tarnished) as some say but I have never cleaned mine...

Thanks for the response Riverboat.

This^. Maintain as little as possible and address problems if they occur. Otherwise enjoy.
Clean the crud out of the 510 connection with a q-tip and water or alcohol when it's grungy. Sometimes the button assembly needs to be cleaned up too. When you're done with whatever you need to do make sure everything is assembled tightly.

But here's a couple things not to do: Do not use anything abrasive on the plated top post or negative post. If the negative post needs to be removed from the button, try to use a screwdriver that fits the slots. The last thing you want to do is create a jacked up uneven surface on the face of the post.

Thanks Snork. Only other thing I can think of that I was curious if anyone does is I watched a video from David where he took the spring and rubbed it across some fine sand paper to ensure a it was corrosion free.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Thanks for the response Riverboat.

Thanks Snork. Only other thing I can think of that I was curious if anyone does is I watched a video from David where he took the spring and rubbed it across some fine sand paper to ensure a it was corrosion free.

I saw that too. I have never done it with any Super-T spring though, have never felt the need. It would surely be a good thing to do if I were into maintaining things, but one of the things I've always valued about my Super-T mods is that I can pretty much neglect and ignore them. :) One thing for certain, the lower ohms you like to vape with the more maintenance you need to do on any mod. Since I can get more than what I need at >= 1 ohm I can get away with quite a bit of slovenliness.

officer196

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
Ft. Worth, TX
I saw that too. I have never done it with any Super-T spring though, have never felt the need. It would surely be a good thing to do if I were into maintaining things, but one of the things I've always valued about my Super-T mods is that I can pretty much neglect and ignore them. :) One thing for certain, the lower ohms you like to vape with the more maintenance you need to do on any mod. Since I can get more than what I need at >= 1 ohm I can get away with quite a bit of slovenliness.

Thanks again Snork, mine is only at .5 ohms, so its subohm, but I haven't seen much of anything to indicate any issues. Just like keeping my stuff nice, even things very utilitarian in there design. You outta see how meticulous I am with my glocks, and I could probably get away with firing a few thousand rounds and not cleaning it....Lol guess its just one of those things.

Durty D

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
NORCAL
My routine is simple. Once every couple of weeks I clean the switch assembly and polish off any corrosion from micro arcing . I run my ELAs at low resistance often and get some "goody" in the switch barrel and I'll get a warm button. I clean the spring and run each side over some 2000 or higher sandpaper. I also use Scotch Brite to remove the oxidation on the compression ring and then polish it up with a wheel and metal polish. Give them a bath occasionally and get those threads clean and they will last for a good long while. Contacts are rubbing alcohol only and a little juice directly afterward on the o ring to keep it from drying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread