Ecigs a reasonable substitute for dipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
So I work with a guy who has been dipping for many years (a habit I am wholly unfamiliar with) and recently he's taken a keen interest in my break-time ritual. Once I'd explained vaping to him, he wanted to try it. I let him take a few tugs off my PV and he was instantly impressed (perhaps it was my world-famous DIY banana pudding :laugh:). Told me he really wanted to get off the dip and asked if maybe this could be the ticket. He does smoke too, but only socially, and seldom at that. His albatross is the dip.

Now, I've never had any difficulties recommending vaping to my smoking friends, but I really wasn't sure what to tell him. Considering that a PV is essentially a nicotine delivery system, I figure why not. Has anyone had any success or know of anyone who's had success switching from dip to vaping? It's my understanding that nic delivery via dip is extremely efficient, far moreso than inhalation. What mg should he start with to curb that sort of nic craving? To complicate matters further, he finds my 12mg a bit "strong" on the TH, and I figure he's definitely going to need something much higher than that to get the dip off his mind.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Yes, it would be a good move to try vaping. I think there may be some dip converts or info around here about it. Let me go look in some sub forums and see what I can find for you... BRB.

ETA: I couldn't find a specific section with info, but if you search around you may find some. Or more peeps like Dag Nabbit may come along to offer more insight. :)

Last edited:

Dag_Nabbit

Sep 18, 2012
Kingsburg
I know a couple guys that switched from dip to a PV. As for his throat hit preference, he should start out with a juice that's high in VG and also high in nicotine. The lower PG along with higher nic (like 24mg) should get him to the throat hit he prefers. That way he can get the Nic he wants without a crazy TH. I like ecblends 100% VG juices for just this situation.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
That's a fantastic suggestion, Dag_Nabbit, thanks for the info guys. Matter of fact, I've still got a piece of vintage 24mg Malty in my magic box that I'll load up tonight and let him try tomorrow! If it's closer to hitting the spot for him, I'll check out ecblends. MBV does 100% VG too, and he's already a fan of their Ecto Cooler... Every day asking me if I brought the Ecto... :laugh:

Thanks again!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I know a couple guys that switched from dip to a PV. As for his throat hit preference, he should start out with a juice that's high in VG and also high in nicotine. The lower PG along with higher nic (like 24mg) should get him to the throat hit he prefers. That way he can get the Nic he wants without a crazy TH. I like ecblends 100% VG juices for just this situation.

I am not sure I quite agree with the higher nic part. It will depend on how often he can and wants to vape. I have done both (smoke and dip) off an on over the years, depending on where I was and if I could smoke or dip. You have to realize that while both habits are about nicotine delivery the timing is WAY different.

With smoking you light up your cig, get a sudden boost of nic into your system for 5-10 minutes, then it quickly tapers of to a low point until your next smoke. Creating short term spikes in your nic levels.

With dip it just sits in your mouth so the there is no sudden boost as there is with smoking. Also because you can leave a dip in for hours at a time, there is also no tapering off. It is a slower but more steady stream of nic. More of a long smooth plateau.

With those two points in mind a pure dipper might have problems with switching to a high nic sudden boost then taper platform. I would personally suggest the Nicorette lozenges as a dip replacement due to the similar delivery. You put them in your mouth and leave it until it dissolves, which in my experience was an hour or two. IF he wants to try vaping, it might be better to use a LOW nic juice and do it more often. This will reduce the spikes of nic in the system and keep it more even like dipping is. Of course if job requirements preclude the ability to frequently vape, then by all means try the high nic. Just make sure he understands that he should probably not try to chain vape with high nic juice.

Last edited:

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
I say yes. I smoked analogs for 2 years and then went back and forth between dipping and smoking for another 2 years. It was an easy transition for me because even when I dipped, I loved to smoke the occasional cig with a co worker or my girlfriend. I also know first hand of a guy that made the transition straight from dipping to vaping and it worked well for him.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be accompanying him to our local B&M next week so he can pick out some gear. He's been cutting his vaping teeth on my Provari for the past couple of weeks, so he already understands the particulars of and wants a VV capable device. I'm thinking a couple of Twists and Evods should get him up and running nicely.

ScottP: I'll also pass this very helpful info along, thanks much!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Nice! I think it'll be good for him. You should tell him that theres also herbal dip alternatives out there. You can get dip that tastes nothing like tobacco, has no tobacco in it, but does deliver the nicotine. I've seen it online. He may also be interested in whole tobacco alkaloid juices since he's absorbing so much WTA through dipping.

BdMoore85

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
Norman, Oklahoma
I used to smoke and dip before switching to being a pure vaper, but what I noticed was that the craving for analogs left pretty quick, but I kept thinking about dip(I used Copenhagen and Red Seal)....reason for this is that dip is kinda sweet, and like a previous poster said it isn't an immediate boost but the nicotine is delivered slower... With that being said, I noticed that some people tend to vape really quick with lots of puffs, some puffs were longer and some shorter, but the frequency was fast, and I noticed about me I had more "down time" so to speak between puffs and was holding my pv longer....so at work I decided to get a lanyard to keep arou d my neck so when I wasn't on break I could just pull it out, take a puff, put it back under my shirt so it wouldn't get tangled in anything

onry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
springfield,Illinois
my neighbor (best friend) vaped to quit dipping using one of my ego setups.
He still has a vape now and then when he is stressed out. especially since he has
lost part of his foot due to diabetes and cant do squat but sit at home right now.
He used to go thru at least a roll of dip a week if not more and had no problem with switching

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I can't add much to the discussion except that I'm going to try to convert my brother in law from dipping to vaping. I doubt he'll give it any thought as he's never smoked a cigarette (or anything else) his entire life.

On point I'd like to make though is that his dentist urged him to at least switch to whole leaf tobacco instead of dip. He claims there are no confirmed cases of cancer with whole leaf, while dip has huge issues with oral cancers and so on. He's also claimed that the handful of patients he has that chew while leaf tobacco have no oral signs of "tobacco use" whereas he can easily tell who dips.

He's not my dentist, so I can't ask any follow-ups. Somewhat makes sense though. I think it's all the crap the tobacco companies are putting in their products. I'm sure some whole-leaf stuff has crap in it, but I'd be willing to get there's non-additive whole-leaf stuff out there.

Hopefully that doesn't turn this into a big-tobacco bashing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread