Ecig bill passes Senate in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sikko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
@charmingkv This law has not been enacted yet. There is still time to have your voice heard. First thing I would do, if you haven't already is join CASAA. It only takes a minute, and costs you nothing. Then keep an eye out for their Call to Action. You can also write and phone your local representatives to make sure your voice is heard. If you are able to attend the senate committee meeting go. CASAA can give you some talking points, I believe placebo effect mentioned that you should contact them board@casaa.org if you can go to the meeting.

all_in_ashes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
So Cal
Sad thing is...if you took the words "tax" and "ecigs" and replaced "ecigs" with "g_ns" there'd be all kinds of mighty powerful opposition and press lined up against this type of stuff. Vendor's need to figure out a way to give a free g_n with each PV so we can make friends with a bigger kid on the playground :p

charmingkv

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Okla
I would assume that this 5% tax is on top of the nearly 10% sales tax we already pay here in Oklahoma. Typical hypocrisy from our tea party controlled state government. They probably think they can get away with it because it's a "sin" tax. So I guess I'll be seeing y'all in hell.

Is it your understanding there would be a $250 permit fee/yr. in order to sell, in addition to the tax? Oh I thought ecig info and vape choices was hard to learn, now I have to deal with the government too? I have to find a way to get rid of all this ejuice, but will do my homework tomorrow to see if its legal here for now.

Im all for letting them make laws for people under the age of 18 unable to buy e-cigs and associated hardware. where i draw the line is for them to tax us for something that has nothing to do with the cigarette companies or stinky smokers. I have to say im happy to know there is 10+ b&m shops less than a half an hour away from me in the greater OKC area and would not like to see this go away with this bill there trying to pass. I will be doing my part to do what i can just hope it turns out for the good.

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
Is it your understanding there would be a $250 permit fee/yr. in order to sell, in addition to the tax? Oh I thought ecig info and vape choices was hard to learn, now I have to deal with the government too? I have to find a way to get rid of all this Ejuice, but will do my homework tomorrow to see if its legal here for now.

I stand corrected, it's not a 5% tax. It is a 5 cent tax on each device or vapor product sold, so 5 cents per bottle of juice.
There would also be an annual permit required, at a cost of $250, to be a wholesaler or dealer of these products. Then there is the usual business permit and sales tax ID you will need to run any kind business in Oklahoma.

It's totally legal to sell these products at the moment. All that has happened so far is the first draft of the bill has been passed by the senate. It still has to go back and forth between the house and senate, it will be debated and amended. When (and if) it is finalized it will be submitted to the governor to consider, and if she likes it she will sign it into law. All of this takes some time, plenty of time to get in touch with your local representatives and try to educate them about why it is a BAD idea to tax a smoking cessation product.

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
Ah, then I buy my nic juice by the gallon.

Well I am corrected again, my legalese is not so good. The tax is 5 cents per "vapor product unit", defined on another page as "up to and including .03 ounces". I'm not in a math mood this late at night, but there's going to be quite a few vapor product units in a gallon.

To clarfiy:
"Vapor products. Upon all vapor products, the tax shall be
five cents ($0.05) per vapor product unit and a proportionate tax at
the like rate on all fractional parts of a vapor product unit in
excess of a single vapor product unit. At no time shall the rate
levied upon a vapor product unit exceed one-tenth (0.10) the rate of
tax imposed on a pack of cigarettes in this state"

Hope this clears up any confusion :blink:

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
I stand corrected, it's not a 5% tax. It is a 5 cent tax on each device or vapor product sold, so 5 cents per bottle of juice.
There would also be an annual permit required, at a cost of $250, to be a wholesaler or dealer of these products. Then there is the usual business permit and sales tax ID you will need to run any kind business in Oklahoma.

It's totally legal to sell these products at the moment. All that has happened so far is the first draft of the bill has been passed by the senate. It still has to go back and forth between the house and senate, it will be debated and amended. When (and if) it is finalized it will be submitted to the governor to consider, and if she likes it she will sign it into law. All of this takes some time, plenty of time to get in touch with your local representatives and try to educate them about why it is a BAD idea to tax a smoking cessation product.

are they going to tax stop smoking prescriptions and nicorette too???

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
Legitimate taxes like this can work in our favor by setting precedent. Lobbyists and politicians can point to Oklahoma and say "This state has already enacted much fairer legislation than that which is proposed....blah blah blah""

A reasonable tax Im okay with.

I don't understand the logic here. Not trying to be disagreeable, just don't understand why we should settle for any tax at all on this category of products. Oklahoma has one of the highest per capita rates of smokers in the US. It's a very expensive problem. If anything, the state would probably benefit in the long run by subsidizing the cost of vaping.

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
They already do when you buy it over the counter dont they? Has been years since I bought some but I think I paid state sales tax.

Lol I have no idea, I don't want to risk "suicidal thoughts or actions" and the nicotine gum makes me ill :(

I have no problem with the "not selling to minors"-
Anything with nicotine doesn't need to be sold to people under 18.
But if it's a state sales tax can't people just buy stuff from (for example) texas and have them ship it to OK?
Or am I wrong.
Either way it really sucks for OK vendors :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread