• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

eBay Australia - advertising of e-cigarettes for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
21 Sept 2012

"[FONT=Arial, Verdana]I am enquiring about eBay policy regarding the sale of electronic cigarettes and relates items such as flavouring concentrate mixtures, vapourizers and so on. I do not see much of this listed worldwide on eBay and it seems like a good marketing opportunity, however if these are missing because such ads are being deleted by eBay staff then there's not much point.

An electronic cigarette comprises three parts: a battery, an electric vapourizer element, and a chamber containing some kind of essence mixture. None of these items have been be banned on an individual basis. Typically the flavourings used are a mixture of (some or all of) propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, water and a flavour essence, all of which are legally and easily obtainable through restaurant suppliers or by ordering through a local chemist.

I do not intend to advertise any illegal substance such as items which contain nicotine, only items for which there is no prohibition legally in Australia. One possible item may also be a kit for testing the strength of nicotine concentrate to within 5% accuracy, made from common products available at any supermarket or pet store. As some people use imported nicotine liquid - there is no import ban on this, only a ban on advertising public resale - it may assist them to determine the quality of the product.

Thanks in advance for your considered opinion.
[/FONT]"

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
6 Oct 2012

"Hi jxxxxxxxs",

Thanks for contacting eBay about listing such item. Let me tell you more about it.

I understand that you are interested to sell e-cigarettes on the site however because of various regulatory issues, cigarettes, cigars, and smokeless tobacco products are not allowed on eBay. Because e-cigarettes are basically a cigarette, eBay does not allow them to be listed. Yes, eBay allows the sale of parts or accessories for e-cigarette systems and kits. For example, holders and cases can be listed as long as no cigarette or charger is included. You can as well sell flavouring concentrates provided that these items/mixtures are nicotine free.

You may visit the link below for more information about our policy guidelines;

Tobacco

We are looking forward to do business with you and we wish you the best of your transactions here on eBay.

Thanks for choosing eBay. Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Melissa B.

eBay Customer Support"

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
Reply 6 Oct 2012

"Because e-cigarettes are basically a cigarette, eBay does not allow
them to be listed."

Well, there's your error right there. Since e-cigs containing nicotine
cannot be sold in Australia, they resemble a cigarette about as much
as a ballpoint pen does. Anyhow, as I suspected, it isn't allowed per
eBay policy so I won't pursue this further.

I suggest you add e-cigs to your tobacco policy page to make this
clearer. Something like this: "Even though e-cigarettes do not contain
tobacco or nicotine, we don't allow their sale because we're
shyt-scared of the Therapeutic Goods Administration and anti-tobacco
lobby groups." That should do it.

Rob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread