Eastmall's Riva 901. Lots of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
I've been using a kr808 and cartomizers to vape, and stumbled across Eastmall's Riva 901, which claims to be compatible with kr808 cartomizers, but had a lot of questions about it.

1. How long do Riva 901 atomizers last? I've only had maybe ten kr808 cartomizers die on me in roughly three months.

2. How do you clean Riva 901 atomizers? I normally boil some distilled water and throw my kr808 cartomizers in.

3. How do you clean Riva 901 cartridges? Just run them under the water???

4. Do Riva 901 cartridges leak e-liquid? I normally store my kr808 cartomizers in the "cart condoms" that they're shipped in, and keep them in my carrying case when I want to vape away from home. I guess I'm also asking "how does one transport riva 901 cartridges?". Should I just use kr808 cartomizers when vaping away from home?

5. How much liquid does the Riva 901 cartridge hold? My kr808's hold about 1ML.

6. So far as I can see, the main differences between a kr808 and the Riva 901 are battery life, battery size, the ability to easily drip, and two piece cartridge design instead of a one piece cartomizer; possibly lower resistance on the Riva 901's atomizers. Am I overlooking anything?

7. Can I use the Riva 901 two piece atomizer & cartridge on my kr808 batteries? If yes, and If my kr808 cartomizers have a higher resistance than 1.6 Ohms, then I can expect to see a reduction in battery life while using the two piece atomizer & cartridge on a kr808 battery, right? Assuming all of the above is true, I'd be good using a kr808 pass thru, right?

8. Most of my kr808 cartomizers are Vapor4Life's "premium cartomizers". I don't know what the resistance is on them [which is why I said "possibly lower resistance" in #6]. What differences [throat hit, vapor production, vapor warmth, how often to refill, taste] can I expect between kr808 cartomizers and Riva 901 two piece cartridges?

Edit: I started a separate topic on other devices besides Eastmall's Riva 901 here, so disregard these last two paragraphs. My mistake.
One of the reasons I'm looking into the Riva 901 and not an Ego is because I've got a lot of kr808 carts. Are there other options out there besides Eastmall's Riva 901 that will allow me to use my kr808 carts? How do they compare to Eastmall's Riva 901?

The only other "big battery, kr808 compatible" devices I've found are Puresmoker's Icon, and Puresmoker's Prodigy. Unfortunately, they're about twice the price as Eastmall's Riva 901, and the ability to switch from 808 carts to 510 carts through the use of adapters on one device isn't enough of a selling point for me, mainly because all I've got is kr808 cartomizers.

Last edited:

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
i'm not a 901 user, but i can tell you that pretty much whatever native threads your device has, you can use an adapter to use 901, 801, 510, kr808 ...
Yes. My mistake, :facepalm:. I have much to learn about e-cigs, lol. :laugh:

I've started a new thread about using another device or kit with a kr808 adapter here. I'm still curious about Eastmall's Riva 901, though, so I'm hoping people can tell me about it. It seems to be the simplest way of using all of my current cartomizers, no adapters needed, in my price range.

Your post did get me looking into Healthcabin's eGo Mega kit + an adapter, though. For a few bucks more than Eastmall's Riva 901, I can add a LOT of versatility [plus I could vape longer on my kr808 cartomizers with Healthcabin's eGo Mega vs Eastmall's Riva 901]. I'm such a complete n00b when it comes to e-cigs, lol! :laugh:

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
i use both. both work fantastic and the battery last me all day
That's good to know. I was wondering if you had time for a few more questions, because I've only ever used kr808 cartomizers.

1. How long do the atomizers [from the two piece atomizer and cartridge] last before they stop working?
2. Can a person clean the atomizers? How?
3. How does one clean the cartridges?
4. How much liquid does the two piece design hold? About the same as the cartomizers, 1ML?
5. Is there anything you personally don't like about the Riva 901?

dmdonald2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
michigan
1. It depends. I had one just go and it lasted 3 months but i have also had some go at one month of use.
2. Yes. It varies from person to person. I personally just run hot water through it, blow it out, and let it air dry. Or if i have a really strong flavor in the atty and running hot water through it doesn't work then i boil them in distilled water for about 5 to 10 min.
3. I am not to big on cartridges but i still use them from time to time. Me personally i just pull the filler out and throw it away and put some blue foam in its place. If i need to clean the cartridge i usually take out the blue foam and throw it away, rinse out the cart with hot water, dry it out, and insert a new piece of foam. I have read that you can take out the filler and rinse it out and then squeeze the water out with a paper towel, but IMO that is more work than is needed. There are a lot of videos on youtube on how to clean atomizers and cartridges.
4. I am not sure on how much. I usually go by drops and it usually takes between 15 to 20 drops for me to fill a new one.
5. Yes 2 things. It does leak a little out the bottom of the cone if you fill the cart to much or if you drip to much. The carts that came with my kit look more like 510 carts. Even though i have read that they are interchangeable i have found that 901 carts do work better IMO.

Last edited:

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
1. It depends. I had one just go and it lasted 3 months but i have also had some go at one month of use.
2. Yes. It varies from person to person. I personally just run hot water through it, blow it out, and let it air dry. Or if i have a really strong flavor in the atty and running hot water through it doesn't work then i boil them in distilled water for about 5 to 10 min.
3. I am not to big on cartridges but i still use them from time to time. Me personally i just pull the filler out and throw it away and put some blue foam in its place. If i need to clean the cartridge i usually take out the blue foam and throw it away, rinse out the cart with hot water, dry it out, and insert a new piece of foam. I have read that you can take out the filler and rinse it out and then squeeze the water out with a paper towel, but IMO that is more work than is needed. There are a lot of videos on youtube on how to clean atomizers and cartridges.
4. I am not sure on how much. I usually go by drops and it usually takes between 15 to 20 drops for me to fill a new one.
5. Yes 2 things. It does leak a little out the bottom of the cone if you fill the cart to much or if you drip to much. The carts that came with my kit look more like 510 carts. Even though i have read that they are interchangeable i have found that 901 carts do work better IMO.
So basically, I can clean the two piece atomizer & cartridge the same way I clean my cartomizers; rinsing in hot water or boiling. This is good news!

I was able to find quite a few videos on cleaning cartomizers [my favorite is the old doctor looking guy who pours a beer at the end], but I'll look again for cleaning the two piece atomizer & cartridge.

One of the things I'm looking forward to is dripping, and using blue foam seems to be a common thing on these boards. I'll have to pick some up when I buy a drip-able e-cig. Any suggestions on where to buy some?

It sounds like the Riva 901 two piece takes about as much liquid as a kr808 cartomizer; I really wouldn't have to change too much about cleaning or refilling. Excellent news!

I was curious if any of the two piece atomizer & cartridge devices leaked; now I know [not to drip too much]. I'll keep all this in mind.

Dmdonald, you've been a great help! Thank you very much. I'm not 100% certain I'm getting a Riva 901, but I'm about 85% there. It seems like this is the e-cig for me; no extra adapters, works with all my existing cartomizers, very long battery life, plus I can drip!

Where do I get Riva 901 atomizers? I noticed that Liberty flights is almost out, Eastmall only sells "low resistance" atomizers for their Riva 901, and Healthcabin either sells "low resistance" singles or "regular resistance" atomizers in 20 packs. Is there a difference between "Riva 901 atomizers" and "DSE901 atomizers"?

One last question: in the picture of Liberty Flight's Riva 901, it looks like the atomizer that comes with the kit threads inside the battery, not outside like my kr808 cartomizers. How does their Riva 901 allow kr808 cartomizers to screw on? Are there threads on the inside and outside??? Wait; I think I got it. It looks like they used the same picture for their Riva 901 and their Riva 510.

dmdonald2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
michigan
So basically, I can clean the two piece atomizer & cartridge the same way I clean my cartomizers; rinsing in hot water or boiling. This is good news!
Yup just don't boil the cartridges like i did my first time trying to clean them. I had to throw the pan away because i couldn't get the plastic off and the smell was terrible.
I was able to find quite a few videos on cleaning cartomizers [my favorite is the old doctor looking guy who pours a beer at the end], but I'll look again for cleaning the two piece atomizer & cartridge.
I never saw that one. I might have to look it up. lol
One of the things I'm looking forward to is dripping, and using blue foam seems to be a common thing on these boards. I'll have to pick some up when I buy a drip-able e-cig. Any suggestions on where to buy some?
I got mine from my local pet shop. The one I have is called Marineland Rite size U.

I was curious if any of the two piece atomizer & cartridge devices leaked; now I know [not to drip too much]. I'll keep all this in mind.
There is a hole on the side of the atty and that is where it usually comes out of, but the cone covers up the hole so it comes out the bottom. If you were to vape with the cone off it might be a bit more noticeable but i like the tighter draw that the cone gives.
Dmdonald, you've been a great help! Thank you very much. I'm not 100% certain I'm getting a Riva 901, but I'm about 85% there. It seems like this is the e-cig for me; no extra adapters, works with all my existing cartomizers, very long battery life, plus I can drip!
You are very welcome, and I am glad i can help. If you decide to get one I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I have.:)
Where do I get Riva 901 atomizers? I noticed that Liberty flights is almost out, Eastmall only sells "low resistance" atomizers for their Riva 901, and Healthcabin either sells "low resistance" singles or "regular resistance" atomizers in 20 packs. Is there a difference between "Riva 901 atomizers" and "DSE901 atomizers"?
No at least i don't think there is. I have got my 901 attys from madvapes and they say "DSE 901 atomizers." I am still a little afraid to buy from china yet so i usually get my supplies stateside.
One last question: in the picture of Liberty Flight's Riva 901, it looks like the atomizer that comes with the kit threads inside the battery, not outside like my kr808 cartomizers. How does their Riva 901 allow kr808 cartomizers to screw on? Are there threads on the inside and outside??? Wait; I think I got it. It looks like they used the same picture for their Riva 901 and their Riva 510.
Yup that is a pic of a 510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread