Eastmall's Indulgence V2 vs a Ego for use on a offshore fishing boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maast

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Early spring through late fall I'm a offshore saltwater fishing fiend. I go out every weekend.

I'm considering buying the Indulgence from Eastmall, it has an option for a extended cup that'll hold a protected 18650 3000mAh battery. Its visually appealing, I can just swap out the actual battery when needed, it has incredible capacity, will take 5 different kinds of atomizers and more importantly it has no mosfet electronics in it.

I tend to get very wet on my offshore boat when fishing, not so much from waves, but from pulling up the fish, netting them, etc. And then there's the saltwater spray as well.

I'm concerned that I'll short out my (rather expensive) 900mAh ego battery units and screw up the mosfets, with a mod like the indulgence I dont have to worry about it, other than dropping it overboard, and I'd add a "koozie" to the battery chamber to take care of that.

Whatcha think?

PS, it'd be my FOURTH PV in a month and a half..... a Envy, 510 mega, Ego, and now this one.
Hopefully I'll be done with hardware for a while.

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
Hi, Maast!
I don't have an Indulgence, but I noticed that your thread had no replies so I just thought I'd comment based on what I've read around the forum. This may not apply to the v2, but earlier reviews of the Indulgence seemed to suggest that the threads on the battery housing were a bit delicate and needed a gentle hand when threading the battery housing together. The 18350s that come with the Indulgence are only 880 mah, I think. And though there are 1200 mah 18350s available (for example, at Battery Junction among others), 880 mah of itself is not a big leap from a standard 650 mah eGo. And higher mah eGos, Rivas and the Hello 016 are available.

On the other hand replacement batteries for the Indulgence cost far less than a replacement eGo or Riva batt. Usually, $8.00 or less. (Oops, i just noticed that the 1200 mah 18350 on Battery Junction is not a protected batt - that's not good for vaping.)

You might also consider the roughstack from MadVapes which comes with 18350 protected 1200 mah batteries. It's far less elegant and attractive than the Indulgence, but has the reputation of being very sturdy. And it is user repairable if the button needs to be replaced (assuming you can do a little soldering.)

Anyway, i hope that helps. Oh, and there is also an extended cup for the roughstack.

Willriker

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
CT, USA
If your worried about it getting wet, there might be some way to shield the unit from spray or wet hands. Fisherman are a handy bunch of guys, im sure you can figure out something better than just putting it in a zip lock bag.

Though, ziplock bags are pretty awesome. I had mine in a zip lock, and went to the indoor pool at the condo's where my mother lives. I accidently left the ego, with the ziplock in my pocket. Turns out it was ok. It didnt get wet at all. I am sure there are other, more presentable, waterproof cases to store items in than a ziplock bag. And with some minor alterations you might be able to rig it so that you wouldnt even need to take the unit completely out of the what ever you store it in to use it.

I do not know how long you stay out for. I know some that enjoy staying over night. So, battery life might be an issue.

Last edited:

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Batteries + salt water = problems

The switch contacts will be an issue on any mod, as will the battery contacts and even the atty connector. If it were me, I'd make my own fully waterproof mod using a 18650 flashlight like this. I'm not a fan of bottom-switches, but modding the sealed switch on that flashlight into a non-latching momentary switch (along with sealing the crap out of the atty connector with high-temp silicone) would make it completely sea-worthy.

Maast

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Hey Maast...I sent you a PM.....Super-T's ShockWave I believe that's the name...For your use I'd prefer it without the side vents....As of yet unreleased though....26650 battery.....That should go for a bit....Now I've been well off-shore with my Buzz and encountered no problemo...Didn't get wet though...

Just looked at the stainless steel shockwave, man that thing is nice, looks like it'll be perfect, I wonder if he can put a knurled surface on it. Gonna be spendy though.

Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I have an Indulgence and I also am a retired Bering Sea fisherman. If it was me I would take an Indulgence and a couple of mega Ego's just in case. The Indulgence with the 18650 battery will last a good 24 hours but is a little big and you might have a corrosion problem with the switch. You could take an extra switch being as it is a seperate unit and just screws on. The ego with a whistle tip is something you can hold in your teeth like a cig.
If you want to vape while you sort or are constantly using your hands an 801 auto with several extra batteries would work good , there wouldn't be a switch problem with autos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread