E juice to be taxed? solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into a local smoke shop today just to pick up some juice. asked him how business was and how well the juice was selling in his smoke shop. He told me he was going to get rid of it all within a month because it was gonna be FDA regulated soon and most likely taxed after that. Even if it were not to be taxed but regulated he claimed that most of these E juice companies were to go out of business simply because the lab testing and the process of getting approved by FDA was too costly. And that in turn it would create a monopoly for maybe a few E juice companies, "most likely produced by big tobacco companies" that would sell your typical 5 ml juice at double the normal price.

My solution to this would be to have our current e juice companies such as uncle junks, five pawns, pink spot and halo to start producing there flavors strictly with out nicotine. They can't tax you if theres no nicotine it! Even though it shouldn't be taxed being its not tobacco!! And if you wanted nicotine you could buy nicotine liquid your self and mix it in. Hence avoiding the tax and slavery to big tobacco!

what are your thoughts on this?

DrkSide

Sep 24, 2013
United States
You are assuming you'll still be able to get cheap, good quality nicotine.

I went 0 nic and diy 2 years ago because I knew this day was coming.
:vapor:

Even if you can't get nicotine as cheap as you can now it should be cheaper in bulk if you just buy the nicotine by itself instead of premixed juices.

However, I am on my way down to 0mg. Started at 12mg two weeks ago and my new juice is 6mg.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Even if you can't get nicotine as cheap as you can now it should be cheaper in bulk if you just buy the nicotine by itself instead of premixed juices.

However, I am on my way down to 0mg. Started at 12mg two weeks ago and my new juice is 6mg.

When I went from 1/4 mg nic to 0 I did notice. Nothing traumatic, but still noticeable.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The FDA doesn't have any legal authority to tax e-cigarettes.

And we've defeated all but one state legislative proposal to tax e-cigs.

The only way e-cigs will be taxed in the future is if all of us stop opposing proposed tax hikes.

Unfortunately, this thread's title falsely claims e-cigs will be taxed, which isn't helpful (except for our enemies).

If/when the FDA imposes regulations on e-liquid products, various manufacturers will deploy various strategies to keep their products on the market, and I suspect many flavoring companies (as well as hardware companies) will simply stop selling nicotine as a component of their product.

If FDA bans (or excessively regulates) liquid nicotine, I suspect that doing so would create black markets for liquid nicotine, which is likely to have far fewer quality controls than the products currently on the market, which could pose significant risks for consumers.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
[....]If FDA bans (or excessively regulates) liquid nicotine, I suspect that doing so would create black markets for liquid nicotine, which is likely to have far fewer quality controls than the products currently on the market, which could pose significant risks for consumers.

I don't suspect, I know it would create a black market. And isn't the FDA, like all federal regulatory bodies, prohibited from issuing regulations that will knowingly or be likely to create a black market?

unknown_shooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I don't suspect, I know it would create a black market. And isn't the FDA, like all federal regulatory bodies, prohibited from issuing regulations that will knowingly or be likely to create a black market?

pretty much any non-narcotic prescription medicine can be had through the mail right now, using the google.. psych meds, blue pills, antibiotics, etc - so there is already a well-established "black market" for prescription drugs in other countries, and the FDA whines about it constantly, but they can't stop it..

It's perfectly legal to walk across the Mexican border & buy some blue pills, asthma inhalers & Cipro (without a scrip), then walk back across the border with it.. about 10,000 retirees do it every day at the Algodones crossing (by Yuma AZ). As long as you're not bringing "scheduled" drugs across, customs doesn't care.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I did the RYO thing until I started vaping. Even though taxes were high I could still make a pack of analogs for about one dollar. You can still buy bulk tobacco (I bought 1 pound packs) over the internet with no adult signature required. I ordered every two months and UPS delivered it from North Carolina. I don't know why e-juice would be any different.

p51mustang23

Sep 21, 2013
New England
If all else fails, I have great faith in the black market. Look at the industry for ........ seeds. They're very illegal but you can buy them from other western countries with ease.

Forums like this will create blacklists for low quality vendors, so if you're already on this forum you will be fine. Forums tend to be where the best info for black market stuff comes from.

There will be too many loopholes to get in trouble for it as a consumer. Worst case scenario we will just see the US vendors close / relocate. The USA doesn't need those jobs anyways >.>

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
The FDA doesn't have any legal authority to tax e-cigarettes.

And we've defeated all but one state legislative proposal to tax e-cigs.

The only way e-cigs will be taxed in the future is if all of us stop opposing proposed tax hikes.

Unfortunately, this thread's title falsely claims e-cigs will be taxed, which isn't helpful (except for our enemies).

If/when the FDA imposes regulations on e-liquid products, various manufacturers will deploy various strategies to keep their products on the market, and I suspect many flavoring companies (as well as hardware companies) will simply stop selling nicotine as a component of their product.

If FDA bans (or excessively regulates) liquid nicotine, I suspect that doing so would create black markets for liquid nicotine, which is likely to have far fewer quality controls than the products currently on the market, which could pose significant risks for consumers.

I've always been worried about state taxes on e-cigs. When I replied to the o.p. that's what I was thinking. I think the only reason more states don't tax e-cigs yet is that they've been waiting on the FDA.
Sorry, but I'm planning for the absolute worst case scenario. I am not paying the same sort of tax on my e-cig stuff as I did on cigarettes.
Excuse me but I have to go order more batteries and clearomizers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread