E-Cigs are really looked down upon by recent quitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I looked at a quit smoking forum last summer before e-cigs, didn't do much for me. I recently went back to see if e-cigs were helping them. Was I mistaken! WOW, how recent ex-smokers become smoking nazi's!

"Please don't dangle the concept of "electronic cigarettes" in front of people who are seriously trying to overcome and break their addiction to nicotine.

I have not reported your post as spam (most "e-cigarette" posts are reported as we come across them) because I believe you to be sincere. Please prove me right. Thank you.
Skip"

QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com • Index page
Just search "electronic" some positive but in general we are just horrible!

Since PV's are not NRT's I understand where some of this comes from but?

Last edited:

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
well what do you expect? These folks are trying to quit the hard way, they're ...... off...too bad their minds are closed but you meet ALL KINDS on the internet, you can't save everybody ( from themselves). Oh don't get me wrong, many of us may end up more addicted to nic than ever before, not me. I just need some help to get the cig monkey off my back then "turn down" the juice strength and I'm finished with nic forever! 6 months to a year at the outside, I've already amazed myself by walking away from cigs, there's no stopping me now! Do you think a bunch of ...... off ex smokers sitting around chewing their gum can really support each other the way we do here? no way. This board rocks, the power to quit is right here people! Take advantage of it, network with somebody here when you consider going back to cigs, we can help you.

Last edited:

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Do you think a bunch of ...... off ex smokers sitting around chewing their gum can really support each other the way we do here? no way. This board rocks, the power to quit is right here people! Take advantage of it, network with somebody here when you consider going back to cigs, we can help you.

Yeah, the problem is most of the newbies on there will suffer and fail.
The few that make it will be ...... at us!
Oh, welcome sattec!

Last edited:

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
we can support each other so well because we are alert to the problem, our minds are clear, we're focused as a group, nobody is angry or bitter because of withdrawals....we are breaking the problem down to a managable problem that can be solved....after all, it is only mind over matter. You just need to section up the problem and take it one day at a time. not carrying a pack of cigs around in my pocket was a big step, smoking a cig after two weks on e-cig was a break through, they taste like trash now, yuck! If anybody needs my support in private (crying is allowed, quitting smoking is like losing a best friend), let me know, i'll do what I can to keep you on track!....see you at the finishline friends!

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I wish them the best of luck. If they believe they can quit that way, they should try, without interference.
I know I can't. I have done it twice. For 2 years once, 4 months another. If I get off of these, I will always keep one, charged and ready. I have fallen off that wagon before. I can always fall onto my e-cig.

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
I wish them the best of luck. If they believe they can quit that way, they should try, without interference.
I know I can't. I have done it twice. For 2 years once, 4 months another. If I get off of these, I will always keep one, charged and ready. I have fallen off that wagon before. I can always fall onto my e-cig.

I agree, I'm sure the people on that board feel much the same way we do when we get spammers. They have made a choice and are trying to stick with it. Their minds are closed and there is nothing we will do or say to open them. To each his own, I to will always have an e-cig ready and waiting (even if I choose to stop using them) just in case, as I've also quit many times before and ended up back at square one.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
The board seems to be run by a store (quitsmoking.com) that sells those smoking cessation items that the forum participants use or are encouraged to use. I am sure that once the store starts selling vaporizers, the mood about e-cigs will change.

But I am still a bit surprised that they sell a device that makes perforations in a cigarette filter. I thought the effectiveness was disproved for that type of thing and smokers actually end up smoking more and thus get more toxins in:

SmokeSmart Cigarette Toxin Reduction System

But I could be wrong.

MidnighToker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
NC
Been there. Was a member of Quitnet.com for a previous quit that lasted 27 months. Recently went back to ask about e-cigs...Holy ****!!! Next thing I knew, I was being run off by a bunch of prancing friggin Church Ladies waving pitchforks and torches. I was expecting the jackholes that preach "If it isn't cold turkey, you didn't quit", but this was entirely different. Thank gawd I found PVs. Haven't managed to quit them entirely yet, but going from 30-40 a day down to around 3, without the suffering, is a damned miracle.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Most e-smokers who have booted tobacco cigarettes from their lives consider themselves ex-smokers. But not to these cold turkey antis. No sir. If you're using an e-cig, you're still smoking. You haven't QUIT. I've read their vicious blasts on several "quit smoking" sites. Do not expect them to accept or promote e-smoking. No way.

That's one reason I disagree with those who want e-cigs to be categorized as tobacco products. They aren't tobacco products and we don't "smoke" them. Calling ourselves "smokers" or siding with that lost cause will bring on even more wrath.

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
Been there. Was a member of Quitnet.com for a previous quit that lasted 27 months. Recently went back to ask about e-cigs...Holy ****!!! Next thing I knew, I was being run off by a bunch of prancing friggin Church Ladies waving pitchforks and torches. I was expecting the jackholes that preach "If it isn't cold turkey, you didn't quit", but this was entirely different. Thank gawd I found PVs. Haven't managed to quit them entirely yet, but going from 30-40 a day down to around 3, without the suffering, is a damned miracle.
Looks like so far I'm a minority with a positive reaction at a quit smoking forum. I went back to ALA's forum a while ago and posted about my failure there and success with e-cigs. Surprisingly, the responses were 100% supportive. No one asked for info about e-cigs or this site, but that's okay.

laughterhouse

Aug 5, 2009
USA
Why are you calling them nazis? In the two quotes you provided they seemed very polite. I think the reason they didn't care for the promotion of e-cigs is because the people on that forum are trying to overcome their addiction to nicotine, not trying to find a different way to get nicotine. They have their opinions and methods, we have our own. Neither opinion is the "right" one. Let them have their message board the way they like it just like we do with this one.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not painting a 100% positive picture of e-cigs and their users so let it come, I guess.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
They are spouting the same kind of crap that the FDA spreads. Chemicals used in antifreeze, poisons in the vapor, marketed to children, etc.... Ignorant closed minded fools. Let them suffer for weeks and months, then eventually go back to smoking anyway.

I'd love to see a study with... say, 200 smokers trying to quit. 100 are allowed to use PV's. The other 100 is allowed to use any other method available. The patch, gum, hypnosis, acupuncture, pills, etc...
I would bet any amount of money that one year later the group using PV's has a significantly higher success rate. I would venture to say it would be above 65%, and maybe even considerably higher. But the group using conventional FDA approved methods will likely have a less then 30% success rate.

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
I really don't understand why exsmoker's think everyone should quit. I've quit many times in the past and I don't remember ever telling a smoker they should quit. That is their personal business and not mine.
If an ecig helps me quit tobacco, that's good enough for me. Will I ever quit ecigs? I hope so, but I don't know. That's not my number one reason for switching. Analogs smell bad, make me feel bad and are way too expensive to continue using.
If other people want to quit cold turkey ( ( I've done that too ) then more power to them. I won't push my beliefs on them if they return the favor.
JMO

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
I can kind of empathize with them. When I quit drinking over 18 years ago, I had to quit hanging with my "buds" for awhile that were still drinking. At first I'd go to the bar with them, and drink pop or iced tea. But, no matter what kind of drink or the fact that there's only a little booze in this one, made the pressure increase. I still didn't drink, but I'd hear, "What's the harm in a beer?" too many times. Knowing that an ounce of alcohol is an ounce of alcohol whether in a tall boy or a Long Island Ice Tea, it didn't matter to me to try and just cut down my booze intake. I had to do cold turkey and I had to get away from peer pressure. I was a hard core alcoholic. Now, someone comes along to a site for quitting smoking and offers them a "cheat" so to speak. They've committed themselves to breaking the habit completely. I don't think you did anything wrong, certainly not maliciously, and they were pretty nice about explaining why. I myself, haven't felt the need to cut my nic addiction, just the almost 4000 other chemicals that were clogging up my lungs. I wanted a clean substitute, that's all. A PV would've probably helped some of them, you just got to them to late.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I have quit smoking several times, once for 3 years, but I always went back to it. There never came a time for me when I didn't actually want a cigarette. A week ago, I bought my first ecig. Damn! I thought finally I could actually quit smoking. I cut down to 3 cigs a day with no effort at all. Tomorrow will be my first smoke free day, and I am sure I will be able to do it, and continue because of the ecig. I can't tell you how happy that makes me! {{hugs her new best friend - the Titan 510 with mega battery}}

mlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2008
toronto
www.facebook.com
I have quit smoking several times, once for 3 years, but I always went back to it. There never came a time for me when I didn't actually want a cigarette. A week ago, I bought my first ecig. Damn! I thought finally I could actually quit smoking. I cut down to 3 cigs a day with no effort at all. Tomorrow will be my first smoke free day, and I am sure I will be able to do it, and continue because of the ecig. I can't tell you how happy that makes me! {{hugs her new best friend - the Titan 510 with mega battery}}

i feel the same way. this is my second round with e cigs. there are better canadian companys out there now. and i am very pleased with the service i am getting. makes all the difference in the world. i love my mini 901
i am trying really hard not to say i quit. cuz everytime i do, i end up going back .. so i am just saying i am not buying cigs any longer, and i am pre paying for my carts. it's awesome how much money i am saving.

also, with the extra money i am able to buy fresh atlantic salmon. that's a real treat for me. esp since the loblaws near me, sells their stock each night at half price! i can buy a salmon steak twice a week now ...

yup. e cigs have done wonders for me... quite happy...

mlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2008
toronto
www.facebook.com
They are spouting the same kind of crap that the FDA spreads. Chemicals used in antifreeze, poisons in the vapor, marketed to children, etc.... Ignorant closed minded fools. Let them suffer for weeks and months, then eventually go back to smoking anyway.

I'd love to see a study with... say, 200 smokers trying to quit. 100 are allowed to use PV's. The other 100 is allowed to use any other method available. The patch, gum, hypnosis, acupuncture, pills, etc...
I would bet any amount of money that one year later the group using PV's has a significantly higher success rate. I would venture to say it would be above 65%, and maybe even considerably higher. But the group using conventional FDA approved methods will likely have a less then 30% success rate.

i heard some gossip that the university of alberta is doing just that, or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread