• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

E-cigs and the psychological effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

V-V

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Texas
www.zazzle.com
I've not seen this topic covered recently here: How has vaping changed your mental well being?

There is no way to avoid the stigma attached to smoking. No matter how hard you try to hide it, non-smokers can smell it. Unless you smoke only outside, your kids smell like it. Co-workers make snide remarks about smokers taking breaks, strangers give you nasty looks when you smoke even in approved smoking areas.

Well, I no longer have to deal with any of that. And - it feels wonderful. I consider myself to be, a non-smoker. I don't stink, I don't need to go hide outside, no ashtrays in my house, no worry about smoking while driving with my daughter in the truck.

How about you?

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I've not seen this topic covered recently here: How has vaping changed your mental well being?

There is no way to avoid the stigma attached to smoking. No matter how hard you try to hide it, non-smokers can smell it. Unless you smoke only outside, your kids smell like it. Co-workers make snide remarks about smokers taking breaks, strangers give you nasty looks when you smoke even in approved smoking areas.

Well, I no longer have to deal with any of that. And - it feels wonderful. I consider myself to be, a non-smoker. I don't stink, I don't need to go hide outside, no ashtrays in my house, no worry about smoking while driving with my daughter in the truck.

How about you?

Hi V-V :)

The research seems to show that the nicotine alone isn't enough to satisfy the brain.

But I gave up by accident as soon as I vaped and have never felt a moment's dissatisfaction. May this be because the psychological satisfactions you mention are just too compelling and cause enough feel good factor in their own right?

I have rediscovered the scent and taste of so many things, and that gives me a lot of happiness too.

When you bury your nose in a flower and go aaaaahhhh, does that have specific neurological effects? I'm inclined to think it does.

If the political changes afoot allow us one day to vape undisturbed, I'm pretty sure that many of us will be deeply contented. I do hope that it will work for us all in the end.

V-V

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Texas
www.zazzle.com
I need to add now that you mentioned smell returning Caesarea, that I don't consider this a huge bonus. Seems most things smell bad. :)

I never really lost my sense of smell though, I've always had a super sensitive nose.

But I think you're correct, that all things combined (no stink, no nasty looks) along with the satisfaction of inhaling/hand to mouth/"smoke" are quite compelling.

It's a happy thing for sure.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I need to add now that you mentioned smell returning Caesarea, that I don't consider this a huge bonus. Seems most things smell bad. :)

I never really lost my sense of smell though, I've always had a super sensitive nose.

But I think you're correct, that all things combined (no stink, no nasty looks) along with the satisfaction of inhaling/hand to mouth/"smoke" are quite compelling.

It's a happy thing for sure.

What we need is a Vapers' Realm, with a libertarian regime a Utopian climate and a ban on ban-wielders.

;)

melissa

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009

How about you?
My son smelling like smoke was one of the big reasons I switched to vaping I know exactly what you mean!

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
Well . . .

I'm proud of myself for giving up the analogs but I still don't feel like I've actually "given up" smoking per say. This is so much better in all areas than smoking.

Now I'm addicted to this forum.

Now I'm addicted to getting "presents" in the mail, all for vaping.

My house, clothes, and me all smell better.

Lots of pros. Only con I can find is sometimes all this messing with batts, attys, carts, and juice can be a pain. But it's all good. :)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I am glad I am not smoking, but for none of the reasons above! LOL
I don't smell much better, I have ashtrays all over the place and all I am smelling is smoke because I live with 2 smokers! Mike(hubby) is trying but so far he is only down to a pack a day or so (from 2). Mom tried it and said she refuses..she can quit on her own! After 70 years of smoking? Yeah right, she will forget to quit as she has some dementia.
I am glad because I am a pain in the ..... I won't give the tax man any joy. I also refuse to use a seatbelt unless the G'kids are in the car and in general refuse to do anything "they" tell me to do. I am sick of living under nanny rules! I don't even visit the in-laws in California because they are the biggest nanny state in the Union. Tofu this!
Life is a game nobody wins, The day I get healthy is the day I get hit by a honking big beer truck.
Sorry, just venting. CNN had an artical today :
"The results raise the prospect that nicotine, the addictive chemical in tobacco, may be MORE carcinogenic than had previously been appreciated."
There is a thread in the law section called "well isn't this interesting"
psychological effect, VV? I am going nuts!
Mary

V-V

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Texas
www.zazzle.com
I'm with you Mary, I'm having one of those days myself. Kiddo's school won't take my word that the kid had surgery last week (and so missed school), I have to get a doctors note, yet she has stitches etc. Stupid. I forgot to ask the doc for the note, no the school won't give her her makeup work without it.

I can't send her meds with her, you know why.

I've been turned down for 35 (count them) jobs so far for being "overqualified". I can guarantee you, I'm not too qualified to starve to death.

But - I DO smell better :)

Hang in there Mary, nanny state crap will drive you insane, I know.

HappyGirl

Apr 13, 2009
Interesting subject.
I totally feel like a non-smoker now. I turned my husband onto it as well and he already notices when he runs his breathing is way better. Not worrying about the smell is the biggest plus of all. But not going to to buy analogs is so great.
I have an addictive personality. I know this. I bit my nails....gave that up. Then chewed on my hair.....my mom cut it. Started smoking......now I vape! I for one freakin love vaping!
This forum is great and I so appreciate Kate starting a girl group!

bmacva

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
You know, I think the Women's Room is going to be the best thing I've found so far! :D

Just turned 53. At 52, I think I finally got in touch with my mortality and after taking a good look at myself, really realized what smoking was doing to me. I also have those little lines around my mouth. For about a year now, I've been visualizing the old woman image that the anti-smoking campaigns use. So, I was ready to quit finally, after 30+ years.

My poor hubby uses an inhaler because of me (he says that's not true) but I know. I was sick of overflowing ashtrays, film on my car windows I can't get off, yellowed walls and of course the smell.

So, 2 weeks into vaping I feel like a non-smoker!! LOL! I feel cleaner, younger, healthier, and hubby, while not too excited about this in the beginning, is really seeing the changes too, and I'm so glad I'm not exposing him to 2nd hand smoke.

Who can NOT say this is better than analogs????? :)

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
The mouth wrinkles. Is that from the chemicals in cigarettes causing wrinkles, or is it the actual action of smoking? I wonder.

I know women who smoked for many years that never got those, but see many women who have them.

It's an interesting question.

Smoking Damages Skin like the Sun

Most of us know the sun causes more damage to our skin than anything else we are exposed to. However the only thing that damages our skin almost as much as the sun is smoking.

Smoking Causes Free Radicals

Smoking causes free radical stress on our skin just like the sun. When we look clinically at smokers' facial skin, most have severe wrinkles around their mouths. They think it's from the repeated pursing of the lips to inhale their cigarettes, but its not. It's actually from the smoke being absorbed into the skin and causing free radical damage, just like the sun. The wrinkles are more concentrated around the mouth because that's where the smoke is most concentrated and where it's absorbed

---------------------------------------end of article

This was written by a doctor. My father is also a doctor and has told me the same thing but I did not know it could be worse than wrinkles from sun damage. So if you're a smoker and also love the sun then you could be in trouble. I guess maybe that's why some have the wrinkles and some do not.

The link for the article which also has stuff on the site about wrinkles in general is here:

http://www.wrinkles.org/smoking.html

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I have a childhood friend who is still close but she is very judgemental. She complained to me on her last trip home that her mouth is getting "smoker's wrinkle's" and she has never touched a cig. (Lier, I Remember the girls room!) Anyway, I told her it was from making that "Holier then Thou" face. After she hit me she laughed. What are friends for.

NicAddict

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago
I still hide my e-cig in public...just not used to it yet. I did use it in a jewelry store today and felt just a tiny bit naughty. I dont feel like explaining what it is and how it works yet.
I have felt shame for being a smoker for many years now, I feel it is my greatest "fault" but was unable to quit.
I dont feel guilty vaping AT ALL. It is a nice change.

V-V

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Texas
www.zazzle.com
Great, I love the sun. Oh well, can't be wrinkle free forever I guess :)

I don't vape in public much either NicAddict, but I don't get out in public much. I tend to just vape in the truck if I need to. But I do feel like vaping in public would let people see and ask questions. The more people off cigs and on to vaping the better to my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread